GDT: Game 3: COL @ LA - Going Back to Cali 10PM ET/8 PM MT

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Toews is a borderline top pairing D at best, more of a high-end #3 as is. He needs to show more than two very good games to be dubbed a #2 let alone #1. I even struggle to call Girard more than a #2 because of his size limitations, and Makar needs to round out defensively before he can claim the #1 mantle.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Toews isn't a #1, but he's showing he's a legit top pairing guy. The past couple years he has looked like a high end #3 who could handle top pairing duties, but as was expected, Makar and him fit incredibly well together and it will be an elite pairing going forward. Jones-Werenski is better, but I have a hard time seeing other pairings that will be significantly better than Toews-Makar.

Might be unpopular, but I want the Avs to roll 11-7 for a while. Swap Gilbert for Byram most of the time. Limits EJ and Byram's minutes with getting more out of the top forwards. Could even rotate in Kadri/MacK to the 3 center spot from time to time to limit that problem.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
He's talking about the pass on the 2nd goal. If Kopitar reads that and steps up a second or two earlier he's on his own the other way.
Girard taking advantage of the space provided to him. He doesn't do that drop pass if the PK'er is up higher on Toews. Both Toews goals there was so much ice to work with. Teams are going to eventually scout that but hopefully there is a plan b if that pass gets taken away.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
Burgundy/blue don't work when they're placed together with no colour in between. A decade of the uniprons told us this, yet here we are. It looks like someone forgot to pack the actual uniform and we're wearing whatever the players had to hand.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Burgundy/blue don't work when they're placed together with no colour in between. A decade of the uniprons told us this, yet here we are. It looks like someone forgot to pack the actual uniform and we're wearing whatever the players had to hand.

That’s how the black looked. A generic gear set up and just randomly pulled an Avs sweater over it. At least now they are using team colors, like every other NHL team.

Imagine Montreal or New York Rangers using black gear. Why should Colorado, another red and blue team, by any different?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What makes me mad is that there is someone in our organisation who thought the blue pants and gloves with the primary white and burgundy template was somehow "okay".

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Maybe I’m misinterpreting what was said, but in my opinion in the last two games Toews played as our best defenseman and has been given top minutes because of it. To me it you’re able to keep up or outshine Girard and Makar you’re doing something right. I understand it’s an incredibly small sample size, but the thought that he flirted with being a #1 defenseman these past two games isnt crazy to me. He gets PP, PK and top matchups while having gone point per game and at the very least played as a top pair defenseman. Again I know it’s an incredibly small sample size, but it’s fantastic to see that he was able to come in and immediately contribute.

Reactions: Richard88

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That’s how the black looked. A generic gear set up and just randomly pulled an Avs sweater over it. At least now they are using team colors, like every other NHL team.

Imagine Montreal or New York Rangers using black gear. Why should Colorado, another red and blue team, by any different?
At least make it so the colours ****ing match.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Maybe I’m misinterpreting what was said, but in my opinion in the last two games Toews played as our best defenseman and has been given top minutes because of it. To me it you’re able to keep up or outshine Girard and Makar you’re doing something right. I understand it’s an incredibly small sample size, but the thought that he flirted with being a #1 defenseman these past two games isnt crazy to me. He gets PP, PK and top matchups while having gone point per game and at the very least played as a top pair defenseman. Again I know it’s an incredibly small sample size, but it’s fantastic to see that he was able to come in and immediately contribute.

Toews is the most polished out of the three. His defensive game is better than both by a good margin (G would be up there with him if he could handle a more physical game) and his offense is as good as G's while being below Makar. I think we will see in games where the Avs are up, he is going to pile more minutes. He can provide a high level of defense without being a blackhole offensively.

MaKarter

Big Game Bo
Jun 21, 2019
Fort Collins CO
All 3 of them make each other better. Toews plays more with Makar even strength, Girard on PP, and others on PK.

None of them are conventional #1 D but we have all three of them so whats it matter to have a #1. We are going to have YEARS of great players on the backend.

Reactions: klozge

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Toews is the most polished out of the three. His defensive game is better than both by a good margin (G would be up there with him if he could handle a more physical game) and his offense is as good as G's while being below Makar. I think we will see in games where the Avs are up, he is going to pile more minutes. He can provide a high level of defense without being a blackhole offensively.
He came as advertised.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Girard taking advantage of the space provided to him. He doesn't do that drop pass if the PK'er is up higher on Toews. Both Toews goals there was so much ice to work with. Teams are going to eventually scout that but hopefully there is a plan b if that pass gets taken away.
The plan B is gonna be sliding that pass over to an open Burky for that one timer lol

I’ll die on the hill that there’s no such thing as “#1 D” on this team (and it’s an archaic term in general). Makar, Girard and Toews will absolutely have games where they are the top D for the night (ES TOI, overall TOI, impact, production, etc). Hopefully Byram be in that mix as well at some point. It’s an incredible top four and I don’t care how they are labeled.

MartinSkoulYa

MAAAAAckinon
Apr 7, 2018
Toronto

Absolutely, it goes both ways. Offense gotta read where the defense is and vice versa. Could it have gone terribly wrong, sure. But it was a sweet highlight and I'll trust our guys to make the right play.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
He came as advertised.
Yup... I think people can see why I was so thrilled that the Avs got him. He's about the perfect partner for Makar at this stage and is an enormous upgrade. Not sure if many noticed, but he was taking shifts on the right side last night too. Bednar is getting him comfortable in a number of areas which is only going to showcase the flexibility in his game that much more.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Toews has been great and looks like a legit top pairing defenseman. I don't know or really even care if he's a #1 D or not because him and Makar together make one of the best top pairings in the league.

I still believe Girard has been the best defenseman on the team this season. Just like he was last season.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Yeah the nice thing about what Sakic has done is that the defense doesn’t need a 1D to be successful. We have so many options that are very good players that the wealth can be spread very easily between the top 3 guys(soon 4 with Byram) and each guy on the backend fills a role. Just a real masterclass by Sakic here.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The plan B is gonna be sliding that pass over to an open Burky for that one timer lol

I’ll die on the hill that there’s no such thing as “#1 D” on this team (and it’s an archaic term in general). Makar, Girard and Toews will absolutely have games where they are the top D for the night (ES TOI, overall TOI, impact, production, etc). Hopefully Byram be in that mix as well at some point. It’s an incredible top four and I don’t care how they are labeled.
Pretty much pick your poison there haha.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Absolutely, it goes both ways. Offense gotta read where the defense is and vice versa. Could it have gone terribly wrong, sure. But it was a sweet highlight and I'll trust our guys to make the right play.
Its kinda like the bank pass off the side board to the point man after a zone entry. If a defender tries to cheat and take the boards away there any smart offensive player will just keep skating forward with the puck and use that ice to set up. A better example is probably the drop pass on a zone entry. People always say "If you know hes going to drop it off to Mackinnon why don't you just stand in that lane?" because Makar will know what you are doing and he has no problems taking it in himself if you do take the drop pass to Mackinnon away. See Anaheim game last year where they tried that and Makar nearly scored lol.

Reactions: MartinSkoulYa

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Not sure if many noticed, but he was taking shifts on the right side last night too

One of Byram/Girard/Toews will have to play the right side assuming they'll all be part of our top 4 in the near future.

G was playing on the left yesterday with Graves on the right.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad