GDT: Game 3: COL @ LA - Going Back to Cali 10PM ET/8 PM MT

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
I’m glad I don’t have to answer questions from Chambers after a game or in general. What a doof.
Not as bad as that girl, whats her name who always asks old school, nostalgia questions?

"Hey Gabe, you were named a captain at a young age, what do you remember about that, and how important that was to you?"

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Avs certainly didn’t look great tonight but still won. I’ll take it.

Cal Petersen was HORRIBLE tonight. He’s lucky the Kings, despite still rebuilding, are a competent defensive team. Regardless the Avs should’ve ventilated him tonight.

Unfortunately Grubauer wasn’t great either. Fought the puck repeatedly and while that AA goal wasn’t a horrid one to give up, I want a guy who makes that save come playoff time.

REALLY bad ice at Staples Center. Mishandled pucks all over the place.

Graves had a rough game and unfortunately we now know his kryptonite. When up against aggressive, physical teams that know how to clog up passing lanes, he struggles...and did so against Dallas in the playoffs.

Kadri, Compher, and Donskoi were all terrible tonight. Donskoi in particular looked really slow. Is he hurt or something? JT is killing every line he’s on right now.

Luckily the top line, Makar, Toews, Saad, Nuke, and Girard were all good tonight.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
That was a sloppy game, if the Kings didn't take dumb penalties or the refs didn't make stupid calls then Avs would be battling to try and get it into OT tonight. Second period was pretty unacceptable, they had like one shot in almost ten minutes of action and that included a couple of powerplays.

For all the Grubauer hate, he was very good tonight (was one of our best players). Makar was sensational and was probably our best player outside of our net (though I did miss the first period). Kadri missed some empty nets, but at least he can skate with the puck into the offensive zone which is something that Landeskog has such problems with. I thought that was Rantanen's best game of the season considering how many plays he generated. I know it's just against the Kings, but I admit I loved that Timmins/Gilbert pairing. Dennis is pretty much a younger version of last years Ian Cole (in a good way) and makes this versions of Cole even that more redundant.

Also just for the record, I really wanted Vilardi.

I can see why. He has some nice nice mitts. Didnt see him much tonight but the Kings have some nice pieces coming soon.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
If Rants ever finds some consistency to his game and learn how to stay on his skates, he'd be a RW version of Draisaitl. We basically got that version in his contract year, but since then he's been less impactful when he's not putting up points.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Not sure how much Gilbert played tonight but the few times I did notice him I thought he looked solid ditto Timmins.

10 minutes TOI, not bad all things considered. He had a lot of good little plays and some minor errors. We got hemmed into our own zone twice, partially because Gilbert was very casual going to retrieve the puck when LA went for a line change. I think that's fairly easy to coach out of him. The second error was bobbling the puck under forecheck pressure, but that only happened once.

Gilbert 1st game was already way better than Ian Cole's previous 20 in an Avs uniform.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Unfortunately Grubauer wasn’t great either. Fought the puck repeatedly and while that AA goal wasn’t a horrid one to give up, I want a guy who makes that save come playoff time.

Bigger issue for me is Grubauer’s inability to handle the puck. There was a play where he goes to play the puck behind the net fumbles it causing a near turnover with an wide open net. Gru was not horrible tonight however there is an extra gear he may not have. On a side note it seems he is relying on a very old stock of gear since it still showed the Leferve name on his blocker long after their partnership with CCM ended.

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
If they used blue instead of grey for the jersey it might add enough blue to it to look good. But yeah, either pants or the sweater have to change.

Burgundy pants and seeing if you can get away from the black letters and numbers would make the set flow much better. I am fine with the blue gloves with the away since it makes the blue in the logo pop.

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
I honestly don't even like the blue pants with the home stuff. Go back to black. Only saw the first 2 periods of this one and while we had a good start to the first, I thought the Avs were extremely sloppy until those PP's at the end of the second. Not happy to see that the 3rd looks even worse with the Kings getting to within 1. I expected us to carry some momentum into the 3rd and pile it on. Kinda shitty.

Reactions: Richard88

Mr Zappalanche

Oct 7, 2015
Zagreb, Croatia
Kadri and Landeskog were awful. I was a big fan of Bellemare but he now plays like crap. Also, Compher is doing absolutely nothing, and Donskoi was pretty bad. Rest of the guys were ok.

P.S.
This away jersey is terrible imo

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Will the Avs be able to get another forward in by tomorrow night? Or just hope Burakovsky is back/ 7 defencemen again?

Wasn’t a fun game to watch, but the Avs won so it is whatever. Five minutes in, it looked like they were going for another 8-0 win, and then flipped a switch and decided to cruise control the night away.

With the way the schedule is, it is nice the Avs don’t have to go all out to win, but they better be able to flip the switch back on. Otherwise it’s 4-1 losses to good teams like the Blues.

Reactions: Richard88

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
This divisions sucks ass and its certainly possible the Avs could get bad habits before the playoffs start. Having month long periods of zero to a couple of games against better than mediocre teams cannot be good for them. The Avs can sleep trough the entire regular season and still be near the top of the division.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
17 power plays through 3 games is absurd. The Avs are faster than everyone they have played so far, and they play pretty disciplined, but the reffing last night was terrible for L.A. Avs were gifted a few power plays. My big worry is the PP taking over games is hiding the fact the team doesn’t seem to get much going 5 on 5, unless the top line is out.

A game like this I think Burakovsky is missed. He would have sliced through the Kings defence and ripped one past Petersen.

Also Devon Toews is amazing so far. Almost 26 minutes on a night where 7 defencemen were dressed, a power play goal, and led the Avs in PK time. Talk about an all situation player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad