GDT: Game 3: CBJ at St. Louis Blues - The Gauntlet Continues.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It seems to me that the expectations for this team are unrealistic right now. We are going to suck for at least for the start of the season before our young/new guys figure it out and Laine gets back.

It’s a long season and we may be able to dig ourselves out of the hole that we’ll probably be in 10-15 games from now. Anyhow, this is not a catastrophe yet, and we shouldn’t bring out the pitchforks yet. Just give it some for this group to form an identity and wait for a proper first line to lead the way.

Just accept that we are going to get owned by superior teams until this team has gelled and our top guns are playing and firing. I think that we should be realistic with our expectations at this moment. We should rise from here sooner or later during this season.
I can be patient with progress. I didn't think this would be a playoff team to start with this year.

However regression is unacceptable. If we are going to suck, let the young guys suck out loud. Putting Danforth on the first PP unit while sheltering young players with offensive talent isn't acceptable. He's out there double shifting Gaudreau and Jenner for 20+ minutes tonight while hiding everyone else in the 3rd game of the season because he doesn't trust them.

He trusts players he's comfortable with like Torts trusted players and that isn't a good thing for the team we have put together. It's quickly turning into Torts hockey without the entertaining press conferences.

NotTooWideArena

May 20, 2021
I have mixed feelings on this season so far. We knew it was a tough opening schedule, even before the Laine injury and the Elvis illness. So 0-3 is not surprising. But the visuals are discouraging.

Johnny G seems as advertised, and Chinakhov looks a little better. Maybe Danforth is the real deal, and it's nice to have Jenner back, so that's all to the good. But I'm not seeing many signs of progress elsewhere.

Larsen can't keep putting Boqvist out there with Werenski, it consistently neutralizes our best defenseman. I think Boqvist is a worse defensive liability than Gudbranson right now. Peeke, Blankenburg, Jiricek, some kid sitting up near the rafters - anybody else, please!

(I know he's young, and just approaching 150 games in the NHL, and we hope he's coachable. But I hear myself groaning every time I see him out there, particularly in the third period. I am starting to think he was an interesting experiment that produced negative results, and it's time to move on.)

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I have missed the last two games thanks to nhltv being a dysfunctional shitshow so have to ask you how has Sillinger looked? Some regression from the Carolina game? Quick glance at advanced stats suggests he's been pretty average by CBJ forward standards.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
The defense has been bad no doubt, I think Peeke should probably be with Z instead of Boqvist, but IMO the real D-zone issue has been the forwards.

Every single one of them looks like they have absolutely no idea what they should be doing out there. I’m fairly certain this is a system issue, because I even noticed Boone looking confused a handful of times. The confusion is leading to many high quality chances against. It looks horrible.

Whatever this new system is, it shouldn’t be so confusing that veteran NHL forwards don’t know what to do. That, to me, means you’ve overthought it.

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I gave him sh*t a couple of days ago for throwing a Gudbranson stat out there to make him look bad when the whole team sucked so I'm willing to believe there is more to this stat.

However, on the surface, it sounds like Larsen is more like Torts than anyone will want to admit. Like a less effective, nicer, Bizarro torts.
It’s game 3 and he had Johnson on the #1 powerplay .. I get what your saying to a point , I think there are a couple guys that have no business being in the lineup.. but contracts .. politics whatever it is . Marchenko should get called up soon.

Honestly I think the schedule has been brutal, you lose your best goal scorer in the first game, and they are caught right now between trying to be more responsible defensively, thinking rather than playing , and it’s affecting the offense .

Also.. I think TARASOV is the best goalie on the roster , and those first 2 games would have been way worse with Korpi or Elvis in net .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad