PGT: Game 3: Canada 14 - Denmark 0

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
Thanks for the run down, I heard Kakko had a damn strong game, wonder if this tournament can swing Hughes from being the number one pick? anythings possible.

I know Swedens defensed is a strong group but just how strong do you think they are from what you saw last night? are they simply an ultra dangerous offensive group or will they be a tough nut to crack concerning scoring goals on them too?
Their strenght is their defense, I am not impressed with their offense (forwards). Everything is possible, I guess.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I understand it sucks to lose 14-0 but what are they supposed to do, just circle the puck around without taking a shot for half the game? That's even more humiliating to the losing team imo. And Canada had 12 shots on goal in the last period which is pretty basic, the goalies just happened to let half of them through. Denmark will get over it, they knew they were gonna lose by like 8 goals at least anyway

I'm not sure what they are supposed to do, the tournament is structured in a way that promotes these kinds of scores. What they could have done, however, would have been to roll the 3rd and 4th lines a lot more frequently. 4th line center had what, 11 minutes ice time? They could have shown some sportsmanship without skating in circles or playing keep away or taking their foot off of the gas. I didn't watch this game (why bother), but this seems like a merciful, respectful even classy, way to ease up on a badly beaten opponent.

I don't blame Canada for putting up 14; I think it's an absurd reality of this tournament that you're put up against teams with far inferior talent and rewarded for pounding them with double digit losses. Other than prospect watching this is pretty much a pointless tournament until you get down to the final handful of teams. I don't understand the hype for this event or even the entertainment value in watching such a lopsided spectacle. I guess money and revenue demands there must be more teams, more games and more embarrassing scores like this.
What fun. Canada must be so proud of their boys.
Ra :toothless

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I'm not sure what they are supposed to do, the tournament is structured in a way that promotes these kinds of scores. What they could have done, however, would have been to roll the 3rd and 4th lines a lot more frequently. 4th line center had what, 11 minutes ice time? They could have shown some sportsmanship without skating in circles or playing keep away or taking their foot off of the gas. I didn't watch this game (why bother), but this seems like a merciful, respectful even classy, way to ease up on a badly beaten opponent.

I don't blame Canada for putting up 14; I think it's an absurd reality of this tournament that you're put up against teams with far inferior talent and rewarded for pounding them with double digit losses. Other than prospect watching this is pretty much a pointless tournament until you get down to the final handful of teams. I don't understand the hype for this event or even the entertainment value in watching such a lopsided spectacle. I guess money and revenue demands there must be more teams, more games and more embarrassing scores like this.
What fun. Canada must be so proud of their boys.
Ra :toothless
We are proud of them, we have every reason to be.

You just worry about your team,and their "class"

We'll worry about ours, we won't require input on that from down south, never have and never will thankfully, if we had of wanted to be in lock step on what
America considered "class"all these years........................we would have made a hell of a lot of mistakes we would be ashamed of today.

Gratefully, cooler and classier minds prevailed.

Reactions: Cellee and snipes

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Correct, buddy.

If the goal is to get the largest goal differential no matter what, to beat clearly outmatched teams then pull the goalie, throw in a d to stop the desperation attempts at the empty net.

Because beating a team 14 zero is for chumps if you can beat them 25 to zero, amirite?

What’s the point of this post? They didn’t run up the score to 25-0 like they could have?

What would you have had Canada do? Would you rather them just dump the puck into the corner for half the game?

Reactions: jj cale

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
We are proud of them, we have every reason to be.

You just worry about your team,and their "class"

We'll worry about ours, we won't require input on that from down south, never have and never will thankfully, if we had of wanted to be in lock step on what
America considered "class"all these years........................we would have made a hell of a lot of mistakes we would be ashamed of today.

Gratefully, cooler and classier minds prevailed.

I don't have a team, I don't care who wins, I just want my prospects to do well. I don't care who is classy or who is classless. I do think that scores like this are the opposite of competition and entertainment, but, as I said, the tournament is set up for this to happen.
I'm glad you're proud of your team, they should schedule some friendlies against pee-wee teams, then you could be really proud of those scores!

Bottom line is scores like this make the tournament seem like a joke.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I don't have a team, I don't care who wins, I just want my prospects to do well. I don't care who is classy or who is classless. I do think that scores like this are the opposite of competition and entertainment, but, as I said, the tournament is set up for this to happen.
I'm glad you're proud of your team, they should schedule some friendlies against pee-wee teams, then you could be really proud of those scores!

What do you mean by "my prospects" if you don't have a team? if all you really care about is truly prospects then what the score of that game was last night should mean absolutely nothing to you, nothing at all. After all..................you only care about prospects right? not teams.
Stevie wonder himself could see through this malarkey you're spewing off.

I'll second snipes here, grow up, and if that's not possible perhaps just telling the truth would be good enough.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
An unfortunate spinoff of the increase in the tournament's popularity - a dramatic increase in the whining about lopsided scores. Small children somehow manage to survive loses like this all the time when playing minor hockey, but some seem almost unable to handle it happening to players, most of whom are legal adults. Teams play to win and play to improve and that's fine.

Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida

I do not cheer for one nation or another. I follow the prospects who have been drafted by my NHL team.
Sorry the way I observe your tournament from afar offends you or that lopsided and silly scores (be they in hockey, college football or on the empty alley out back) strike me as boring, silly and pointless.
I am not sure what about that constitutes an immature opinion or attitude. You're taking my lack of enjoyment in that game far too personally.

krt88nc

Oct 7, 2017
Fayetteville, NC
Denmark is in it's 5th consecutive tournament, and has placed 5th during that time. They qualified last year by beating Belarus twice last year - what are we to do, tell them all the sudden they don't belong? Stupid comment. Nobody wants a "Canada B" or "Sweden B".
Because 14-0 games are good for the tournament .

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I do not cheer for one nation or another. I follow the prospects who have been drafted by my NHL team.
Sorry the way I observe your tournament from afar offends you or that lopsided and silly scores (be they in hockey, college football or on the empty alley out back) strike me as boring, silly and pointless.
I am not sure what about that constitutes an immature opinion or attitude. You're taking my lack of enjoyment in that game far too personally, fellow. Grow up.
Yeah o.k man.

If you don't care about any team besides your nhl club team and it's prospects then why are you here giving us lectures about class?

There is a forum solely dedicated to your team on this very site, I am sure you can find it............................thats where you should be. Talk all you want about class there, talking about class on a team you say you care nothing about would seem to not be in your interest or expertise, that much is certain from what I have read from you so far.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
Yeah o.k man.

If you don't care about any team besides your nhl club team and it's prospects then why are you here giving us lectures about class?

There is a forum solely dedicated to your team on this very site, I am sure you can find it............................thats where you should be. Talk all you want about class there, talking about class on a team you say you care nothing about would seem to not be in your interest or expertise, that much is certain from what I have read from you so far.

I mentioned the word "class" and therefore I am not fit to post on this topic because you say so? Okay, thanks, JJ. I'm glad that discourse and courtesy are alive and well. I saw the score, I chuckled and decided to give it a read here and I weighed in. I'm rather amused that my opinions rankle you so intensely.
I'm amused, but I don't care.

I'll keep checking scores on the tournament, I'll keep checking on the progress of my team's prospects and, if a game or scoreline intrigues me, I'll come here and see what others are saying and possibly weight in. And there may be times when my opinion is not in line with yours. Do I care that my choice of adjective might get you hot under the collar? What do you think?

Edit: As to my main point so many posts ago, why didn't Canada play their 3rd and 4th lines more - especially in the 3rd period?

Last edited:

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I mentioned the word "class" and therefore I am not fit to post on this topic because you say so? Okay, thanks, JJ. I'm glad that discourse and courtesy are alive and well. I saw the score, I chuckled and decided to give it a read here and I weighed in. I'm rather amused that my opinions rankle you so intensely.

I'll keep checking scores on the tournament, I'll keep checking on the progress of my team's prospects and, if a game or scoreline intrigues me, I'll come here and see what others are saying and possibly weight in. And there may be times when my opinion is not in line with yours. Do I care that my choice of adjective might get you hot under the collar? What do you think?

Edit: As to my main point so many posts ago, why didn't Canada play their 3rd and 4th lines more - especially in the 3rd period?

Do you have the ice time charts for their 3rd/4th lines for the 3rd period?

You do realize they play again today and they’ll need all 4 lines again.

Neutral Hockey Fan

Sep 24, 2010

I’ll fill you in (since you admitted to not watching the game, and you have refused to acknowledge other posters already answering your questions)

Canada DID play their lower lines more.

Frost(Canada’s 3rd liner) just happened to score 5 points

Bouchard (Canada’s top defenceman) only played 13 total minutes

Canada can’t help that their “3rd and 4th” lines are chalked full of first and second round NHL picks. What are they supposed to do? Leave their 3rd liners and bottom pairing defenceman like Hayton (5th overall to Arizona) and Dobson (11th overall tonNYI) at home and bring lesser players so that they can keep games closer?

I mean, hell, Lafreniere was supposed to be Canada’s 14th forward and he is putting up points (for his age) that have been bested by only Crosby in the past 15 years for crying out loud!

Canada cant help that their worst player is better than the 2 best Denmark players combined.

You have a mismatch like that on paper, and it becomes a beatdown on the scoreboard. It is what it is

Like you said, you didn’t even watch the game. Canada coasted in the final period and still scored 6 times on only 13 shots. There’s nothing they could have done to prevent that

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Tie breakers are the culprit, forces the teams to pour it on
Doesn’t explain the two softies Canada started the tournament with.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
I’ll fill you in (since you admitted to not watching the game, and you have refused to acknowledge other posters already answering your questions)

Canada can’t help that their “3rd and 4th” lines are chalked full of first and second round NHL picks. What are they supposed to do? Leave their 3rd liners and bottom pairing defenceman like Hayton (5th overall to Arizona) and Dobson (11th overall tonNYI) at home and bring lesser players so that they can keep games closer?

I mean, hell, Lafreniere was supposed to be Canada’s 14th forward and he is putting up points (for his age) that have been bested by only Crosby in the past 15 years for crying out loud!

Canada cant help that their worst player is better than the 2 best Denmark players combined.

You have a mismatch like that on paper, and it becomes a beatdown on the scoreboard. It is what it is

Like you said, you didn’t even watch the game. Canada coasted in the final period and still scored 6 times on only 13 shots. There’s nothing they could have done to prevent that

Thanks for the solid post Bruce.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I've said what I had to say, so have others concerning this.

It's an opportunity to bitch about Canada, nothing more.Any old angle will do!!

If that counts as legitimate discourse (and it seems like it always does around here) then I'll just leave it at that for now.

Nothing against you personally at all, it's just the agenda behind this stuff..................................silliness.

Thats what bugs me. But hey, carry on then, We won so all is well and I am already focusing on the
Swiss game here moments away.

Would be more then happy to beat them and everyone else 14-0, wouldn't feel anything but glee about it either, why should I feel anything else? it's not like everyone else would give a damn about "class" if they could beat us 14-0, they would love nothing more then to do that.

Reactions: nabob

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia

I just want to say thank you for this post, sanity and reality so well put and refreshing to see when it comes to games concerning Canada.

I mean if Canada used the toilet incorrectly half of this board would be here whining about it, it's so ridiculous.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
not sure why you think Canada's entire international hockey resume is "beat Denmark". it's not. Canada is the most dominant hockey nation on the planet by quite a bit. tonight's game was meaningless in the grand scheme of things

Sigh... No not in world juniors. Quit getting excited because of a recency bias.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad