Post-Game Talk: GAME 3 - BRUINS 3 Sharks 1

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Who's saying any of this? People are saying they're happy at the 3-0 start but there's still areas to improve on.

They're 3-0 against pretty bad hockey teams, and last nights effort left a lot to be desired. I don't think it's this insane take to say that last nights game in particular was pretty disappointing, especially after being called out by their coach for a lazy practice.

Literally no one is upset with a 3-0 start to the season.
"Not so fast my friend"...JK I am reasonably happy with them so far. Season is going about as I expect.

KrejciWinger

Nov 3, 2015
Sportsnet has an 8+ minute long video and they don't even show the Bruins 2nd goal. They jump from Marchand's 1st to the Pastrnak goal.
They've repeatedly made that mistake this new season. Sadly I wonder if they replaced video editors with an algorithm, and it's missing goal data from the NHL.

Reactions: Gordoff

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
You and I often have differing takes on the same situation?
I mean, possibly.

I’m just saying that I don’t think it’s outrageous to be a bit critical of their play last night, despite getting a win.

I think that if they approach playoff teams the same way they approached the Sharks, it’ll be a recipe for disaster.

The last 5 minutes of the game last night were an absolute shit show.

It’s early, I think they’ll be better but yeah. Just haven’t really been impressed with them so far. They’ll need time to gel, and I understand that.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I mean, possibly.

I’m just saying that I don’t think it’s outrageous to be a bit critical of their play last night, despite getting a win.

I think that if they approach playoff teams the same way they approached the Sharks, it’ll be a recipe for disaster.

It’s early, I think they’ll be better but yeah. Just haven’t really been impressed with them so far. They’ll need time to gel, and I understand that.

Same.

I'll never complain about a win, but that game was a stinker. But hey, at least they're winning while they figure it out, could be worse

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
100% they’ll get better.

I’m just thinking that overall effort is going to win this team games this year over the pure skill they had last year.

Even after they figure it out I think they'll be more of a score enough and play D style than overwhelm with offense.

There's going to be lots of nights where they sit on a 2 goal lead in the 3rd

Reactions: Gordoff and BMC

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I'd love to know what counts as a hit these days.
"What is a hit in hockey? For a valid “Hit” to be registered on the stat sheet, the player to be credited with the hit must a) intentionally initiate physical contact with the player possessing the puck, and b) the player sustaining the contact must lose possession of the puck as a result of the contact."

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
"What is a hit in hockey? For a valid “Hit” to be registered on the stat sheet, the player to be credited with the hit must a) intentionally initiate physical contact with the player possessing the puck, and b) the player sustaining the contact must lose possession of the puck as a result of the contact."
Not buying it.

Many hits have been credited after player has passed the puck.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Anyone else see Geekie streak across the ice for a loose puck in the Sharks right corner last night?

What the hell was that? He legitimately looked like the fastest player on the ice there. Just blew by everyone.

Every time I've seen him this season, I've thought he looked good doing this or that, but he looked kind of plodding. That couple seconds last night is making me wonder if I need to speak with my doctor about my medications.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
First road trip of the season and on the opposite side of the country. I kind of expected some sloppiness but I thought most of their play was fine until about halfway into the 2nd. It's a long season - just find ways to win, work on their game, stay healthy.

If Zacha plays all year like he did last night, he'll hit 70 points. He pulled off some moves last night that I did not know he had in him.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
First road trip of the season and on the opposite side of the country. I kind of expected some sloppiness but I thought most of their play was fine until about halfway into the 2nd. It's a long season - just find ways to win, work on their game, stay healthy.

If Zacha plays all year like he did last night, he'll hit 70 points. He pulled off some moves last night that I did not know he had in him.
Nutty schedule to open the season. Huge gap between the 2nd and 3rd games, with that 3rd game being on the west coast. New lines from last season with plenty of new faces. Heck, a couple new lines last night alone. Not sure what people are expecting to see at this point. Simply going to take some time for lines to gel and players to figure each other out in real game situations.

aguineapig72

Jun 28, 2023
JvR seems to be earning his money, 3 goals in 3 games. :nod:

All 3 were absolutely greasy goals too, I love it

1697828411933.png

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Man, this thread is really something else. While the team hasn’t played particularly great and hasn’t strung together a complete game with a full 60 minute effort, they’ve still won their 3 games played. To me, that’s something to be happy about. Imagine being so spoiled and entitled that you’re upset the team hasn’t won in an aesthetically pleasing enough way for your liking? Hilarious. HF board, don’t ever change….
Spill over from the summer…..

Grimey

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 4, 2017
It's super weird. Up until this year teams were getting 20-25 hits a game (which seems a lot more realistic than 5-6)

Some people are saying that in order to be credited with a hit, it has to create a turnover (which was never, ever the case) - I'm nitpicking for sure but I'm genuinely curious to what's happening?

The point of hitting is to strip the opponent of the puck, make them tentative with the puck, AND wear them down physically IMO, and should count as a hit if it's within a second or so of finishing it regardless of whether they lose the puck or not. Legal contact should = hit

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
I mean, possibly.

It’s the third game. They have a turnover going on. It’s an adjustment. Your not going to see last year.

Reactions: LSCII

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
The point of hitting is to strip the opponent of the puck, make them tentative with the puck, AND wear them down physically IMO, and should count as a hit if it's within a second or so of finishing it regardless of whether they lose the puck or not. Legal contact should = hit

Each team probably keeps that stat.

Reactions: Grimey

bruins19

Aug 11, 2005
I am excited for JVR. I was surprised when he signed but he fits Monty's system and fills a key need in front of the net where the B's have struggled over the past few seasons. He's certainly going to have down games but I'm optimistic that he'll end up the steal of free agency at the end of the year.
I think it is fair to say that 20 goals is generally accepted as a good measuring stick for success as a forward. Looks very doable. One per game so far, 17 left to go, and 79 games to do it in.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad