Post-Game Talk: GAME 3 - BRUINS 3 Sharks 1

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
I'm considering going to tomorrow's game but kinda on the fence about it.

I have a stubhub credit and there are decent seats available (even cheaper than available tickets for Sunday in Anaheim), but the prospect of driving to downtown LA, finding parking, paying a ton for parking, paying for food, driving back at night, it's a lot of logistics that I don't think I feel up for dealing with, I may just watch the game from home and be just as happy. But it could be my only chance to see Looch and I've always wanted to go to Staples Center, so I don't know.

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
I mean, possibly.

I’m just saying that I don’t think it’s outrageous to be a bit critical of their play last night, despite getting a win.

I think that if they approach playoff teams the same way they approached the Sharks, it’ll be a recipe for disaster.

The last 5 minutes of the game last night were an absolute shit show.

It’s early, I think they’ll be better but yeah. Just haven’t really been impressed with them so far. They’ll need time to gel, and I understand that.
I think you are right. San Jose certainly outworked Boston, but their talent level is terrible, they had multiple point blank chances they shanked on. A good team is not whiffing those, yeah our goalies are good and still could bail them out, but at least those teams will get their shots off where San Jose literally whiffed.

The first 8-9 games this season I believe they should win. The teams they have played are mediocre at best. LA will be a good challenge of the bunch., but then its back to mediocre teams until I think FL or Toronto.

Reactions: Gordoff

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Globe 10/20 on JVR - Coyle - Frederic

“Well, I thought [that line] had a tremendous impact,” said coach Jim Montgomery. “I thought Charlie was dominant, and I thought that his two linemates owned the middle, and in front of the net and in the middle of the ice. So, I thought that second goal really, it’s an exclamation mark on what I think that line can be.”

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
JVR-Coyle-Freddie were absolute money last night. I think you could well be right. Size, puck management, nice passing, and JVR is like a bloodhound around the goal mouth.

Zacha was also absolute money last night. If you watch one thing, it's worth watching him backcheck on a 2-1 last night when B's pinched. It was in the second. Real effort and speed. Impressive.
The backcheck is what I remember most about the game. He played like a leader last night.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Same.

I'll never complain about a win, but that game was a stinker. But hey, at least they're winning while they figure it out, could be worse

In fairness, it must be a little tough traveling cross the country and waiting 5 days to play a team with 2 players 80% of fans would recognize, in front of a raucous 7,500 people.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Zacha's game may have been one of the best I've seen for a forward who didn't put up a point.

Coyle also took a dumb offensive zone penalty a couple of minutes into th 3rd period.

Again, surprised by how good Shattekirk looked. Very heady with the puck.

Would like to see Debrusk start on his breakout, salary driven season.

As usual, lucky to have Ullmark in net.

I think DeBrusk's been playing reasonably well. The effort is there, his compete around pucks is good, he's doing some solid work on the PK. But the scoring chances so far aren't really materializing, let alone actual points. He doesn't seem to have formed good chemistry with any of the linemates he's played with yet. How much that's on him, and how much on Coyle, Zacha and the rest, is hard to say.

The Bruins of course have had a stack of changes, Monty's not yet settled on his preferred lines, and they're trying to get by up top with one center who doesn't really belong in the top 6 and another who's still learning his craft in that position. Jake's clearly feeling the impacts of all that and so far hasn't been able to rise above it in terms of production. But I think we need to be patient. He's trying, we know what he can do, just have to hope that things start to gel soon and the goals start to come.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It’s the third game. They have a turnover going on. It’s an adjustment. Your not going to see last year.
Exactly. The level of play some folks expect despite turnover in very key roles is laughable. It takes time to build chemistry together. Let's allow it and see how it goes? In the meantime, they're still winning, so I don't get what's to nit pick.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
In fairness, it must be a little tough traveling cross the country and waiting 5 days to play a team with 2 players 80% of fans would recognize, in front of a raucous 7,500 people.
Half of which were Bruins fans. I wouldn't be surprised if it's a normal thing and their team not giving a shit at some point? It must be tough getting psyched for a game playing there.

Carl Hungus

Apr 20, 2022

I have a stubhub credit and there are decent seats available (even cheaper than available tickets for Sunday in Anaheim), but the prospect of driving to downtown LA, finding parking, paying a ton for parking, paying for food, driving back at night, it's a lot of logistics that I don't think I feel up for dealing with, I may just watch the game from home and be just as happy. But it could be my only chance to see Looch and I've always wanted to go to Staples Center, so I don't know.

i had the exact same thought process - Staples center is fun but driving there has never been a pleasant process for me. I was at the game where boston beat the kings 7-0 and freddy beat up lemieux though, that was a blast.

Probably going to end up at the anaheim game instead

Reactions: McGarnagle

BiteThisBurrows

Feb 11, 2022
Definitely past Potsey's bedtime... You're right though regarding the body clock and also too many days in between games. NHL scheduling is absolutely dogshit.

Or, the rust settled in with Lucic over 5 days. Hopefully he has a much better game against his old team.
He's not suddenly going to get fast. He never was very fast and for a few years now he's looked really slow. He has learned to economize and he knows where to go so I don't think he's useless. We need him for what he brings but that won't be needed every night or against every team. I want him ready for the playoffs that's the main thing.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I actually enjoyed watching the second half of the game in the morning, “ breakfast with the Bruins “ . I don’t go near any kind of social media in the mornings so the outcome of the game would never be spoiled for me . I love the Bruins but I’m not forcing myself to stay up for the late games anymore. I’m heading to bed.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
i had the exact same thought process - Staples center is fun but driving there has never been a pleasant process for me. I was at the game where boston beat the kings 7-0 and freddy beat up lemieux though, that was a blast.

Probably going to end up at the anaheim game instead
I have done the Calif trip 3 times (because of my kid).

With the bad hip (before replacement) we stayed at the Ayres hotel that is a 3-minute walk to the arena. three times we stayed there and I like it.

Reactions: hrdpuk

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench

GO

Reactions: mxcrossb

Ladyfan

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I have to tell myself the Bruins will not be winning all of the games, and we all need to get over it.

Also, I never thought I would cheer on JVR BUT, here we are. He was a nice pick-up, and I am happy he is on the Bs.

mxcrossb

Mar 29, 2023
Osaka
Most of the criticism seems rather performative to be honest. Not only are they winning games, but to the eye test they have been clearly the best team on the ice. At the end of the day I don’t want to hear nitpicking about details, you can’t win every easy game 7-0. What I want is to see some real competition and a real measuring stick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad