GDT: Game 29 | Detroit Red Wings @ Vancouver Canucks| 10:00 PM EST | FS-D+ CBC

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
Datsyuk likes playing with Abdelkader.

He knows he is going to go to the front of the net so he tries to bank in goals off of different parts of his body. It's a challenge for him.

That's my interpretation of why Datsyuk would like to play with Abdelkader.

He's seriously improving his pinball game, while at the same time satisfying his urge to hit Abdelkader, and sometimes he gets the puck in the net that way. Win-win-win, if you ask me. Also, how fugly were those Nucks uniforms? Maroon-red and light beige? I think I saw Canuck panty lines*scarred for life*

Also, Wings play the ducks in a week...so Datsyuk can take out his frustrations by whomping Perry in the head a few times(or is Perry injured?)

Last edited:

RedWingsNow*

He knows he is going to go to the front of the net so he tries to bank in goals off of different parts of his body. It's a challenge for him.

Abdelkader Solved> Don't put the puck on his stick

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Oh what Franzen could be if he had a little battle to his game.
some critical fans have said he could be an elite player if he always played hard, but i don't think he has the hockey sense for that. he could be a star, though.

Kelly Hrudey explains that Z has high hockey IQ and knows where everyone should be on the ice at all times/ thinks the game like a coach would, just minutes after Z throws an awful no-look pass backwards into the slot to no one, despite having time and space to make a move towards the net. :facepalm:
hrudey was right. zetterberg has just been in a slump, and has probably lost some confidence.

he has been very good since he scored, and scored again, so his slump may be over. :crossfing

for whatever reason, zetterberg seems to play well vs vancouver (regardless of luongo's play).

Datsyuk ISN'T frontrunner for Selke?
i would vote bergeron again. his numbers are great, and whenever i have watched boston, he has been outstanding.

Classless to ask strip away the c when we all were praising him not too long ago. He's on a slump but Z will eventually work through so show some ****ing respect.
:thumbu:

God I hate that "Euro-twin" bull crap
me too

Late to the party, but is anyone watching the CBC feed? It's hilarious. I think the play-by-play team is getting a commission per the number of Datsyuk mentions.

It must be infuriating for Vancouver fans.
I can imagine. I mean, Pavel is having a pretty good game to be fair. Still I don't know if would be handling it gracefully if every fifth word was Sedin even if they were lighting it up. But I'm not always very mature.
These commentators really need to stop. They're making me sick having to hear them talk about Datsyuk every 5 seconds. As if they have no idea what else to talk about.
agree. i hate how commentators constantly slobber over star players.

Daniel Cleary is the lifeblood on this team. Without him, we'd be in last place :sarcasm:
he's yzerman's true and rightful heir.

He has 2 assists, what exactly do you want from him?
consistent "real good" play

I was JUST going to say Luongo is like a glorified Osgood. Then CBC compares him to Osgood.
luongo should be in HHOF, imo, but he is too hot and cold.

in finals against boston, he either got totally lit up (4 games), or was great and won the games for vancouver (3 games).

Smith really seems to be slowly figuring out when and where to make the offensive plays and when not to.
agree

he has not shown much offensively, but his D is quite a bit better than it was early this season or last season.

Cleary, nice play nice shot

Was saying before the game that one of the only ways we win is if LOLongo shows up.
Ding dong. Look who showed up the party?
it's amazing that cleary scored. he has wasted so many potential chances on the rush by taking those BS long wrist shots.

the shot was very well placed, though, and luongo didn't have a good game.

And I'm sure Babs and Cleary will have a romantic dinner after the game, too. Jesus christ.
Babs has a boner right now.
:laugh:

Oh my god. Poor Vancouver. I felt like I was walking the Wings on that 5 on 3.
their PP really misses healthy kesler. they wasted a lot of time being indecisive.

that PP was dominant in 2011. amazing that it has struggled so much recently.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Abdelkaders offense hasnt come around at all like anyone thought but they did say tonight hes been playing injured. But one thing about him the last 3 or 4 games is the physical game he always played with in the past is back. Hes been throwing the body around pretty nicely and its about time.

If he isnt going to score he should at least be banging bodies around out there. He did it tonight and has been doing it so its a plus

pdd

Feb 7, 2010

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
agree. i hate how commentators constantly slobber over star players.

Today though, it was so deserved. Datsyuk was dominant out there. Absolutely dominant. Every time he was on the ice he did something of note. And he had three points so he was closely involved with 3 of the goals, of course he's gonna get talked about a lot.

he has not shown much offensively, but his D is quite a bit better than it was early this season or last season.
Smith's been getting some chances, just not burying them. Like that move he pulled on the blue line to get into the slot for a nice shot. He's very clearly got a huge offensive upside.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Good God... if I wasn't aware that Datsyuk allegedly loves playing with Abs, then Mickey is there to let me know incessantly throughout the last few weeks worth of games. It's honestly getting hard to listen to Daniels and Redmond at times.

I'm sure that if Datsyuk had one forward on the roster he could choose to play with, he'd choose Abby every single time. I mean, you put any elite guy like Crosby or Toews in Pavel's place and they'd say the same thing, right?? I swear that Redmond has just become Holland and Babcock's puppet, and they each give him "opinions" that he has to work into each broadcast, no matter how bizarre or forced them seem at the time.

Had to laugh during the Edmonton game after Babs dropped Abby to the 3rd line and moved Gus up to play with Datsyuk, and Mickey said that Babcock was just using Abdelkader to get Andersson and Cleary going. I thought that used to be Z's role, where Babs would put him with guys to jumpstart their games. Glad to know Abby has taken the torch in that area- must be a giant weight off of Z's shoulders as he assumed the captaincy :laugh:

RedWingsNow*

I watch an awful lot of hockey...and nobody in the league is like Datsyuk was tonight.

Crosby can match it in the offensive zone (though Crosby plays more like a Zetterberg deluxe than a Datsyuk).

Datsyuk owned this game nearly every time he stepped on the ice. Commentators wouldn't stop talking about it because it was remarkable.

RedWingsNow*

CBC said Babcock was taking heat for playing Abdelkader with Datsyuk...

HEAT FROM WHO??

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Well, Vancouver seems to be a nice matchup for the Wings. Let's hope for them in playoffs.

Nut Upstrom

You dirty dog!
Dec 18, 2010
Florida
I may be wrong here, but Datsyuk liked playing with Holmstrom; perhaps he thinks that, with some time together and tutelage Abdelkader could do the things that Pavel liked about Homer. That is my best guess on why Dats would like having Abs as his winger.

I think Brunner's 'demotion' was more about mathcing up better against the Sedins and Burrows. Miller is more reliable defensively and will make the right play usually. Not sure if it's a line combo that is going to stick.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I may be wrong here, but Datsyuk liked playing with Holmstrom; perhaps he thinks that, with some time together and tutelage Abdelkader could do the things that Pavel liked about Homer. That is my best guess on why Dats would like having Abs as his winger.

Homer has 100x the offensive skill that Abby has. He had vision, hands, he knew how to make and take a pass. He knew exactly where to go all the time. The only thing he lacked was speed, which he made up for with his terrific hockey sense.

You can't really teach hockey sense. Abby will never be like Homer. They are completely different kinds of players and Abby does not see the game the way Homer does.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
I watch an awful lot of hockey...and nobody in the league is like Datsyuk was tonight.

Crosby can match it in the offensive zone (though Crosby plays more like a Zetterberg deluxe than a Datsyuk).

Datsyuk owned this game nearly every time he stepped on the ice. Commentators wouldn't stop talking about it because it was remarkable.

I really enjoy watching Crosby play. He creates so many chances just because he's quicker and harder on the puck than 99% of the players he's out there against. He sees the ice real well and his skating is extremely powerful. But he takes a lot of high risk plays to generate chances. He's good enough to get away with it most of the time, but he does force a little bit and it results in the transition type turnovers that are killer. Datsyuk doesn't really make those type of plays. He plays more responsibly.

Datsyuk's defensive game is just as fun to watch to me as most guys are to watch with the puck. Add that to his creative offensive game and he's the most exciting player to watch in the world.

Datsyuk and Crosby are the two best reasons to watch hockey. Malkin on his game is a lot of fun to watch as well. His skill, size, and skating combination is scary good.

nik jr

Sep 25, 2005
Well, Vancouver seems to be a nice matchup for the Wings. Let's hope for them in playoffs.
in '11 and '12, games between these 2 teams were of high quality and very close, (some of the best games of the whole season for any teams) but that has not happened this season, which is very fortunate for us.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Apparently (I must have missed this moment) Franzen was actually helping Booth back to the bench after he got injured out there? Not sure of the details but just wanted to point it out for how classy that was. :nod: Good game guys and full credit to your team for the win.

probertrules24

Jul 10, 2007
Canada
Apparently (I must have missed this moment) Franzen was actually helping Booth back to the bench after he got injured out there? Not sure of the details but just wanted to point it out for how classy that was. :nod: Good game guys and full credit to your team for the win.

He was using his stick to help push him to the bench. Funny thing was Booth looked back wondering who the heck was pushing him.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
CBC said Babcock was taking heat for playing Abdelkader with Datsyuk...

HEAT FROM WHO??
I would like to know too.
Nucks 3rd, Wings 6th and there we go.

I have to comment on the 1st goal. You really wonder what Lashoff was doing there.
Datsyuk should do more of what he was doing tonight, play %, just throw the puck to the net and in the traffic, it does not have to be always the perfect play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad