GDT: Game 29: Coyotes @ Red Wings - 5:30 PM - FSAZ PLUS

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Tippett attributes third period to "bend, don't break" and "young players". Glad we're learning...

Last edited by a moderator:

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Yes, "young players" are responsible for being outshot 2:1 most games.

What convenient smoke cover.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We were playing real hard in the third when we were outshot 4-18 following the classic Tippett dump without chase coaching. Outshot in the second as well. But the goaltending part was definitely true. The best part of the coaching was how McGinn and Duclair combined for over 25% of the team's shots and two goals and neither could "earn" more ice time than Shane Doan. Neither could Crouse who was also having his second great game in a row. Development Dave strikes again!

Bundle up because it's below freezing out there in Detroit, chief

We won 4-1 on the road after being blown out the night before. If you guys don't enjoy this, not sure what to say any more because we won't win many games by more than 3 goals this year:)

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Maybe the very fact that we won't get many wins being heavily outshot and turtling and relying on good luck and better goaltending is exactly why I have a hard time enjoying it? Perhaps the fact that McGinn, Duclair, and Crouse all outplayed Doan (again), but still couldn't get more ice time than the Captain extinguishes some of that enjoyment and hope that things will ever change under Tippett. Maybe the fact that Dvorak was benched for a penalty and didn't make 10 minutes while Perlini also had lower TOI is more important to me than two points we didn't deserve in a throw away year. :dunno:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Maybe the very fact that we won't get many wins being heavily outshot and turtling and relying on good luck and better goaltending is exactly why I have a hard time enjoying it? Perhaps the fact that McGinn, Duclair, and Crouse all outplayed Doan (again), but still couldn't get more ice time than the Captain extinguishes some of that enjoyment and hope that things will ever change under Tippett. Maybe the fact that Dvorak was benched for a penalty and didn't make 10 minutes while Perlini also had lower TOI is more important to me than two points we didn't deserve in a throw away year. :dunno:

The moment he got his grinders the skilled young players lost their icetime. A coincidence I'm sure.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Tippett gets killed for the 7-0 loss the previous night. Tippett continues to take shots for winning 4-1 on the road in the second half a B2B.

It's not easy being Dave Tippett.

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
^Yeah, it won't stop until DT is fired or dies, whichever comes first (and, for the record, I'm neutral now. If he's kept, I understand it, if he's let go, I understand that too). I just accept it. Kind of like in BoH, the people who either hate us or hate the league or are just hardcore tax whiners. They have their opinion; it's fine.

Does make it entertaining to come in and read these start to finish after we win, though, knowing what's coming later...

But ya gotta find something negative, so...tonight's 3 stars:

*** "we got lucky"
** "their broadcasters are more properly critical than ours"
* "even their fans say it's the worst game they've played ever"

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
I mean, it's pretty much true though. And no, it won't stop after he's fired. I'm literally going to hate Tippett until the day I die, and I hope I never see him again.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Why is the group that now resists letting DT go largely the same as the group that had to be dragged into a rebuild kicking and screaming? Is backing into an 8 seed all you ever dream of? Are you entertained by sloppy, slow 5 shot periods and passive play?

Must be too much to ask to want to cheer for a franchise that rises above merely existing.

29th place, movin' on up, #delpositive

Alberta Yote

Owns the Yotes
Dec 31, 2004
In your kitchen
Tippett gets killed for the 7-0 loss the previous night. Tippett continues to take shots for winning 4-1 on the road in the second half a B2B.

It's not easy being Dave Tippett.
Highly paid and job power and security with no accountability required. It's very easy being Dave Tippett.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You see it's the bad defence he plays when not on camera that is the problem

At this point I really don't care how AD plays without the puck. I'm sure if needed DT can shelter him a bit, because with Schenn, Murphy and Stone on our RD, all of which can't skate, shoot, pass and very seldom score, we need DeAngelo who can skate, shoot, pass and score.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Schenn has been fine. Better than I expected. Not sure I love him in the top 4, but he's been very reliable as third pairing guys go. We're better with him in the lineup.

Third pairing is where he should play, but so should Murphy and Stone. Pick your poison.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Red Wings broadcast actually calling out their effort and play, how refreshing.

Wings Try Levels have reached the upper quadrant.

I find it difficult to be sarcastically negative in this thread like I like to in GDT's lately.

However, Detroit is playing like garbage. Looks like XX noticed the Wings guys called them out too; I don't blame them. If only our guys would do the same. Instead all we get is "not executing" but we at least had lots of try.

Detroit fans don't disagree:

You guys can say what you want, but a win is a win. As usual, it doesn't matter what the team does it's the same posters b------- and moaning about everything.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Duclair with a good game, assist, +2 (best among forwards) #ridethepine #praisethedave

He rode the pine for a reason, and the way it looks it may have worked. I agree, praise DT.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He has two grinders to replace him with now and he will do so any chance he gets. DVO has consistently been one of our best players. On the other hand, this ******* coach will not ever bench Doan.

DVO is getting better and better, getting more involved, but he has not consistently been one of our best players. IF you watch the kids, I think you will see improvement from all of them. Sitting a game here or there or riding the pine at certain times of the game will not hurt them, in fact it will probably help them understand what they have to do. I'm just happy that none of our top prospects look like busts.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Good win, Smith was great as usual, but we are used to that. Might have something with Duclair Mcginn and Holland, as weird as that sounds. Domi injury is an opportunity for Duclair to not even worry about Domi being on a different line, and just establish chemistry with other players.

Crouse is figuring out how to use his body. he's going to be a beast 3rd liner for us for years I hope. Deangelo is young Yandle.

Dvorak should be sent down for like 10 games and he will be better off for it in the long run.

We showed some bounce back ability, you have to have a short memory after last night. Yes Smith is the reason that we won but, guys... Crouse, Chychrun, and Deangelo were not supposed to be this far along in their rookie seasons. We don't even have our top prospect yet in Strome, and Dvorak isn't even close to there yet. This is a lost season, yes, but really happy to see the other rookies that didnt receive quite as much hype steadily improving game-by-game.

Excellent post.:nod:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Dvo was 33% in the dot. Worst on team last night, probably didn't help his cause. Perlini had a quiet game. I know you and the other DT haters don't see it, but the kids are progressing nicely. Maybe not worry about what negatives you can say about DT and watch the kids and how they are progressing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad