Post-Game Talk: Game #29: Canucks 3, Hurricanes 2 - Edler was a +2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

So what did you think of Luongo's play in the game today?

Oh wait...

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I started watching the Canucks around Linden's first year or so. This team obviously has its issues, now and going forward, but it's still nice to tune into every game and there be a decent chance that the team will win. I couldn't say that through probably half the time I've been following the team.

There is a difference between being realistic about the team and just plain spoilsport pouting. There's a lot of pouting going on in here because they're not the powerhouse they were a couple years ago - and also a lot of retroactive criticism from certain posters where they pretend like the 2011 team was actually horrible because they won one game too few - and that is extremely grating because, well for one thing because it's a ****ing hockey team that none of us play on, and also because I feel like some people wouldn't know an actual bad franchise if it punched them in the face.
:handclap: Bravo... agree with everything you said here, as I do with most of your posts (and I was a big fan of Robert Kron back in the day. I started following the team shortly after you, during Kron's rookie year).

There appears to be actual anger that the team isn't always at the top of a 30-team salary-capped league. What would the chances be for one team to be constantly the best, outside of European soccer? It's been established this is a middling team – so why are people angry when it performs like one?

I remember back during the near-dream season of 2010-11, a lot of the points the Canucks dropped were to so-called "bottom feeders" (as defined by the fans, notwithstanding that the results of such games partially determine who is actually a bottom feeder). And this board went ballistic every time the Canucks dropped one such game. The Canucks were winning games left and right, including beating all of the cream of the crop, but the fans were angry they ever lost a point to a team below them in the standings (which was basically all of them). If they were expected to win the games against good teams, but also expected never to drop a point to a lesser light, this means that fans were essentially demanding a 1.000 season. Which is absolutely insane.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Dalpe gets 4:39 of ice, and Sestito 2:31! and they produce!

Torts has to start loosening his grip on the playing time. I know it's about limiting mistakes, but the 4th line has more competent players now than they have had in a while (I'm not a fan of Volpatti/Bolduc/Johnson etc...). Play them... And if the concern is sheltering 2~ weak players, spread them amongst the lines to shelter them. This way, you can give each more playing time and not run your top9 ragged.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
There appears to be actual anger that the team isn't always at the top of a 30-team salary-capped league. What would the chances be for one team to be constantly the best, outside of European soccer? It's been established this is a middling team – so why are people angry when it performs like one?

Because we didn't win the cup in 2010-11. If they had just pulled that one off, I'd be cool with watching the core decline and enjoying what we can get. But knowing we let the best chance (by far) in our history slip away and now we're in decline and it could be 10 years before we get another chance...that's what sucks.

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
Because we didn't win the cup in 2010-11. If they had just pulled that one off, I'd be cool with watching the core decline and enjoying what we can get. But knowing we let the best chance (by far) in our history slip away and now we're in decline and it could be 10 years before we get another chance...that's what sucks.

Interesting turn of phrase for a team that made it to game 7 of the finals, and was decimated by injuries. But hey, they probably didn't care enough.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011

Because in the end that one game is the difference between the amount of whining in the forums and allowance of whatever moves the Canucks are doing now. That one game is what gives franchises free passes to do whatever they please. Do you believe the drivel you're posting?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
If they'd won in 2011 the same babies would be bawling their eyes out about how Gillis couldn't build a dynasty.

LiquidSnake

Jun 10, 2011
Vancouver, BC
So apparently him being willing to nullify his contract with tens of millions left is plausible, but not him retiring at age 38? If Luongo's play has declined then I think professional pride would make him retire. We could even make him ride the pine if we wanted to and he were too reluctant to retire. I think him retiring at 38-39 is the most likely scenario, then again, he may pull a Marty or a Thomas and continue playing well even in his 40s. We're seeing more often goalies recently playing well until a later age.

We might even trade him to Florida for future considerations as a veteran backup to finish his career to help them reach the cap floor. I'm not worried about what happens 5 years down the road, it's far from the end of the world.
you always seem to create and support your arguments with hypotheticals rather than what's actually occurring.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Because in the end that one game is the difference between the amount of whining in the forums and allowance of whatever moves the Canucks are doing now. That one game is what gives franchises free passes to do whatever they please. Do you believe the drivel you're posting?

Do I believe the drivel you're sticking in my mouth? No, I do not believe in strawman arguments.

I am speaking for myself and only myself, and at an emotional level only. If we had won the cup in '11 I would be at peace with what's happening now, which is the downslope of the Sedin/Luongo era. Instead, it depresses me.

Last edited:

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Interesting turn of phrase for a team that made it to game 7 of the finals, and was decimated by injuries. But hey, they probably didn't care enough.

We were the superior team (IMO) and had a 2-0 series lead. At that point, our odds of winning were probably something like 65-75% (WAG.) So yeah, I think it slipped away. I didn't say anything about them not caring enough; these strawman arguments are is immature as they are illogical.

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
you always seem to create and support your arguments with hypotheticals rather than what's actually occurring.

Regarding what will happen in around half a decade regarding Luongo's cap recapture is inherently speculative. I wasn't the one who brought it up in the first place.

SighReally

Sep 6, 2011
Do I believe the drivel you're sticking in my mouth? No, I do not believe in strawman arguments.

I am speaking for myself and only myself, and at an emotional level only. If we had won the cup in '11 I would be at peace with what's happening now, which is the downslope of the Sedin/Luongo era. Instead, it depresses me.

At peace with whatever happens if we win the cup. Is this a joke haha. GMs and franchises stay in business by building a team that will always be a contender each year, not one that goes all in one year for one chance to shine.

Though I can't blame you since this is the short sighted mentality that most people seem to carry on these forums.

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
At peace with whatever happens if we win the cup. Is this a joke haha. GMs and franchises stay in business by building a team that will always be a contender each year, not one that goes all in one year for one chance to shine.

Though I can't blame you since this is the short sighted mentality that most people seem to carry on these forums.

I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. None.

I am talking only about my personal happiness as a fan. I was responding to Jyrki's specific charge about why posters are "angry" or otherwise emotionally distressed. I am not playing armchair GM or talking about what a franchise has to do to stay in business. You are frankly removing my comments from context and shoehorning them into an entirely different discussion, an act I don't much care for.

skyo

Benning Squad
Sep 22, 2013
CanucksCorner
canuckscorner.com
Luongo will be here till he's 41, so just accept it and move on to more important things like preparing for the 2014 UFA season, where MG can surround the Sedins and Kesler with real scoring talent.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. None.

I am talking only about my personal happiness as a fan. I was responding to Jyrki's specific charge about why posters are "angry" or otherwise emotionally distressed. I am not playing armchair GM or talking about what a franchise has to do to stay in business. You are frankly removing my comments from context and shoehorning them into an entirely different discussion, an act I don't much care for.

i got you ..
after that 2011 loss, the one thing that made it manageable for me was that the core was intact, and that we'd be back ...
becoming increasingly difficult to keep that line of thinking up
but all that aside, i come to these forums to read intelligent canuck-related insights, not a bunch of whining and moaning, of which there has been way too much lately (not speaking of anyone specifically in this thread)

arsmaster*

He's matching Lou save for save at one sixth the cap hit. You need to see what Lack is capable of to make an informed decision on Luongo this summer. And why shouldn't Lack get another start after shutting the door and getting the win? Absolutely deserves it - though you wouldn't know because you missed the most important part of the game.

Well lets all applaud Sportsnet for giving us the replay. I watched the last 10 minutes now, outside of the shot that hit the post and almost squaked behind Lack, he didn't face a single shot in the last 10 minutes.

So it seems I didn't miss anything special, not ONE SAVE.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Well lets all applaud Sportsnet for giving us the replay. I watched the last 10 minutes now, outside of the shot that hit the post and almost squaked behind Lack, he didn't face a single shot in the last 10 minutes.

So it seems I didn't miss anything special, not ONE SAVE.

Hahaha I didn't even notice that. Wow. Hard to come up with a big save at a key time when you don't even face a shot.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Hahaha I didn't even notice that. Wow. Hard to come up with a big save at a key time when you don't even face a shot.

I guess if you're willing to look past the handful of tough stops he made after his team had the 3-2 lead.

I don't think anyone would argue Lack didn't come up with some big, timely saves when the team needed them.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I guess if you're willing to look past the handful of tough stops he made after his team had the 3-2 lead.

I don't think anyone would argue Lack didn't come up with some big, timely saves when the team needed them.

People seem willing to look past the tough stops Luongo makes before defensive breakdowns cause multiple 2 on 1s in the last 10 minutes of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad