Post-Game Talk: Game #29: Canucks 3, Hurricanes 2 - Edler was a +2!

Status
Not open for further replies.

arsmaster*

I guess if you're willing to look past the handful of tough stops he made after his team had the 3-2 lead.

I don't think anyone would argue Lack didn't come up with some big, timely saves when the team needed them.

I'm not looking past them, you made it seem like he stood on his head in the "most important time of the game", when he had nothing to do.

Lack played well, but lets not treat the Canucks team blocking everything and keeping pucks from trickling over the goal line as ringing endoresements for Lack stealing the game.

He played well, I'm not discounting that at all...just thought your narrative wasn't close to what actually happened.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
Lack won't be the kind of starter to be relied upon, nor should he have to be, for another season or two. He's had a handful of starts in the NHL so far. He's showed well, but it's early.

Lu has made plenty of BIG saves (about 3-4 breakaways per game), but the early days of our defensive system mean he's not generally facing a lot of shots. When a chance finally comes it's from a mistake i.e. odd man rush off a turnover. I can give him those breaks for now.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
I'm not looking past them, you made it seem like he stood on his head in the "most important time of the game", when he had nothing to do.

Lack played well, but lets not treat the Canucks team blocking everything and keeping pucks from trickling over the goal line as ringing endoresements for Lack stealing the game.

He played well, I'm not discounting that at all...just thought your narrative wasn't close to what actually happened.

I watched the entire game and saw Lack make some big saves to preserve the 1 goal lead. That was what I took out of his play - he could have been rattled after surrendering 2 quick goals, but instead looked calm, composed and made the timely saves needed. I didn't remember the exact amount of time left in the game, as I didn't need to. Nor did I know exactly how much of the game you missed.

Nor did I say he stood on his head. I said he made some big saves to preserve the 1 goal lead. IIRC the toughest saves were at the end of the 2nd period, though he made some good saves in the 3rd as well. Whether there was 12 minutes left or 9, I don't recall.

The Canucks haven't made either goalie stand on their head very much at all this season IMO. I have said all along this is a very goalie friendly team to play behind.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I watched the entire game and saw Lack make some big saves to preserve the 1 goal lead. That was what I took out of his play - he could have been rattled after surrendering 2 quick goals, but instead looked calm, composed and made the timely saves needed. I didn't remember the exact amount of time left in the game, as I didn't need to. Nor did I know exactly how much of the game you missed.

Nor did I say he stood on his head. I said he made some big saves to preserve the 1 goal lead. IIRC the toughest saves were at the end of the 2nd period, though he made some good saves in the 3rd as well. Whether there was 12 minutes left or 9, I don't recall.

The Canucks haven't made either goalie stand on their head very much at all this season IMO. I have said all along this is a very goalie friendly team to play behind.

The difference was, after Lack gave up the two goals, the team went back and scored a third. Luongo hasn't had that luxury ;)

VanCity Millionaires

Oct 4, 2005
Vancouver
Cam Talbot is matching Lundqvist and then some at a 12th of his cap hit. Does that mean the Rangers should consider letting Lundqvist walk? Or how about the Kings with Quick, who makes 10 times as much as Scrivens?

Even if Lack plays 30 games and does well, it would still be asinine to buy out Luongo because of that. The Canucks were obviously not willing to buy out Luongo at the end of last season, and barring Luongo's play falling off a cliff, nothing will change that between then and the end of the season. No GM is going to get rid of a well established starter just because a player has one good season in a backup role.

Luongo is the starter. Just because some people are upset that we traded away Schneider doesn't mean there will be a "Version 2" where we get to try again.

But what about Jim Carey?!?

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Yeah that was the difference. Not the saves on the couple of scoring chances the CAnes had which allowed the canucks to take a 2-0 lead into the second. Hell of a lot easier to play with the lead than without it and a hell of a lot easier to score that third goal when you are never trailing in the game.

again not saying there aren't others at fault,if a scoring chance is given up there is typically multiple people who didn't do the job but a major problem the last couple of weeks has been clear IMO. When the canucks give up a scoring chance they are finding the back of the net because Luongo is not making the big save. It's what is missing from his game right now. It really isn't even debateable. While Lack yesterday looked akward on the second goal he made the big saves in that game. Saves to get the team the lead. Saves to keep the lead on what was likley one of the worst defensive games the canucks have played with respect to scoring chances given up.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Yeah that was the difference. Not the saves on the couple of scoring chances the CAnes had which allowed the canucks to take a 2-0 lead into the second. Hell of a lot easier to play with the lead than without it and a hell of a lot easier to score that third goal when you are never trailing in the game.

again not saying there aren't others at fault,if a scoring chance is given up there is typically multiple people who didn't do the job but a major problem the last couple of weeks has been clear IMO. When the canucks give up a scoring chance they are finding the back of the net because Luongo is not making the big save. It's what is missing from his game right now. It really isn't even debateable. While Lack yesterday looked akward on the second goal he made the big saves in that game. Saves to get the team the lead. Saves to keep the lead on what was likley one of the worst defensive games the canucks have played with respect to scoring chances given up.
I think Lack played well enough to earn the next start. Hopefully the Canucks can keep scoring the first goal and grabbing the lead, its such a huge advantage for a team learning a new system.

arsmaster*

You cannot make a save to give the team the lead. It isn't physically possible.

It's a long run on a narrative. The reason these "game saving saves" even occurred was due to us scoring 3 goals. Imagine if he didn't let the two mcsofties in?

Lack didn't face a shot in the final 10 minutes. He played well, but there is certainly a narrative that persists around here.

The offense picked Eddie up yesterday, both goals against would have had Luongo at the stake.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
You cannot make a save to give the team the lead. It isn't physically possible.

It's a long run on a narrative. The reason these "game saving saves" even occurred was due to us scoring 3 goals. Imagine if he didn't let the two mcsofties in?

Lack didn't face a shot in the final 10 minutes. He played well, but there is certainly a narrative that persists around here.

The offense picked Eddie up yesterday, both goals against would have had Luongo at the stake.

This is a classic narrative agenda. You're acting as the narrator of your own anti-Lack agenda narrative.

Those 2 goals would have had 'Luongo at the stake'? Yeah, sure they would have. :laugh:

Wetcoaster

The Boys renew off-ice acquaintances with Manny and mini-Manny.

Dec213_btl10_slide.jpg

And Dan Hamhuis keeps the other Malhotra kinder entertained while Mommy looks on.

Dec213_btl12_slide.jpg

Chris Tanev was so displeased with his play yesterday that he loaded up on bacon for breakfast this morning before departing for Nashville. Anything that will put weight on his rangy frame will be welcome.

Dec213_btl11_slide.jpg

As he readies to leave for Nashville Tom Sestito makes it clear he is a star after his goal yesterday.

Dec213_btl31_slide.jpg

Burrows checking the stats sheet from yesterday's game - still no goals. Hansen translates for him.

Dec213_btl33_slide.jpg

As Kesler readies to board the bus to the airport and get out of Dodge Raleigh, obviously the security guys have a tip about a dangerous perp.

Dec213_btl7_slide.jpg

arsmaster*

This is a classic narrative agenda. You're acting as the narrator of your own anti-Lack agenda narrative.

Those 2 goals would have had 'Luongo at the stake'? Yeah, sure they would have. :laugh:

Not at all, just adding some "key" words that would have been used had the other goalie been in.

I don't fault the goalie for either play yesterday, but suggesting Luongo wouldn't have face message board wrath for it, shows me you're clearly not reading PGT's. Very similar goals are referred to as Mcsofties.

I just laugh at the mere mention that Lack's "saves to get them the lead". It just a ridiculous double standard is all.

When Luongo lets two in 10 seconds in against the Champs he sunk the ship, but had we put another goal in, maybe all the other saves he made "let us stay in the game".

Anyways, done with this convo.

arsmaster*

@wetcoaster - those photo's are cool. I especially enjoyed the ones where the players are goofin' around with Manny's kids. Once a Canucks always a Canuck for Manny. Can't help but love that guy.

Wetcoaster

@wetcoaster - those photo's are cool. I especially enjoyed the ones where the players are goofin' around with Manny's kids. Once a Canucks always a Canuck for Manny. Can't help but love that guy.
Here is one more. Edler(?) giving Zamboni lessons.

Dec213_btl9_slide.jpg

nucksfan8888

Aug 9, 2006

Given he was here for such a little amount of time but the bond he made with some of the core makes you wonder how much the injury/situation that unfolded after the injury affected the dressing room.

Obviously a great leader, already has an A in carolina

StrictlyCommercial

Oct 28, 2006
Vancouver
So David Booth is outscoring Alex Burrows. I can't help but feel that this is one of the main reasons we're struggling so hard (along with our Save % and PP). Torts needs to find a way to get Burrows going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad