GDT: Game 28: Sharks @ Coyotes - 6PM MST - FSA, FSA+, NBCSCA

Favorite Star Wars characters (up to 3)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
John MacLean has run unbelievably awful PP units during his entire NHL coaching career. He was very clearly an absolutely awful PP coach well before Chayka hired him. Trash PP coach. Trash hire.

So we wait a couple of years. We watch our PP be completely awful.

Meantime, we have an elite PK. The PK is now complete trash since they gave it to MacLean. The guy who he replaced was excellent. Allen was crushing the PK. Now we have Allen. Suddenly the PK is just okay.

Housley took over the pp. It’s still trash.

Reactions: Neighborhood Coyote

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
The Coyotes have relied on their goalies to make the big saves every game, all year. Now, when their is a little hiccup and the goalies letting in a soft one here and there we lose. Why does that surprise you? This has been coming for awhile now. We are what we are. We are a bubble team that has to make the playoffs, and will only make the playoffs if we continue to get outstanding goal tending.
The goaltending wouldn’t even need to play out of this world if the offense could generate something. It’s not like the Sharks defence was the most impenetrable ever. You just got the feeling all game that there was no way the Coyotes would ever put together a push.

Reactions: Jakey53

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
They are playing to their talent level. Hinostroza, Schmaltz, Stepan and Kessel were available by trade because they were not wanted by the teams they were on. The recent draft picks have not improved under this regime with the exception being Chychrun and the surprising Garland. With 54 games left they will need 30 wins to maybe make the playoffs. Not sure I would make that bet.

Reactions: RemoAZ

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
They are playing to their talent level. Hinostroza, Schmaltz, Stepan and Kessel were available by trade because they were not wanted by the teams they were on. The recent draft picks have not improved under this regime with the exception being Chychrun and the surprising Garland. With 54 games left they will need 30 wins to maybe make the playoffs. Not sure I would make that bet.

That's exactly what I've been saying. They are what they are. Team is more entertaining and is winning more games when it counts (instead of meaningless games when they are out of it) but still just isn't very good. Their record is better than it should be because the goal tending has been excellent. Problem is now we are stuck at mediocre with all the cap space allocated to guys on the downside of their careers or mediocre/decent players. Need to get lucky in a trade or in the draft because all those dreadful years resulted in zero stars and zero #1 centers.

zerekstar

Dec 5, 2010
Thunderbay, On (Kakabeka Falls)
We have a lot of talent I think but it is a lot of lazy talent. We see it year after year. This team eventually loses it's compete and just starts going through the motions.

I like OEL but he is the captain and he looks pretty lackadaisical out there. Kessel was supposed to help us turn the corner but that's a fail. With the exception of Garland, we have too many little guys who are afraid of the corners, and we have too many guys like Fischer are regressing and if they cannot turn it around, may find themselves out of the league eventually.

We need to bring in a few blue collar guys who give it their all every time they are on the ice like Soderberg. Guys who have some size, some heart, and have some push back.

Kessel is getting old so we can expect if we trade only to probably get the same in return. What if we worked out some kind of deal with him plus a Dman going to Montreal for Weber? How about Fischer and a 2nd for Josh Anderson? Just spitballing but it's time to make some changes.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That's the way it looks, but then you look at the standings and you scratch your head. Trades happen all the time, and it doesn't mean that player is a bad player. If TGO can be traded, so can anyone else.

Reactions: MIG

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
I don’t think you make any player changes yet. They need to look into coaching changes.

fire the f*** out of MacLean. Take him out back like they did with Doan and fire the f*** out of him. Everything this guy touches turns to shit.

Give Housley until the end of the year. If his PP doesn’t finish top 13, fire the f*** out of him too.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This team has talent.

What they lack is discipline.

When they're motivated, they show effort, but it's undirected - lots of raw hustle without focus.

When they're not motivated... well, it's ugly.

So many times last night I saw evidence that they were trying to execute setpieces, but everyone ended up in the wrong place - especially on the power play. But most of the time they're at the walls, because they don't seem to be able to execute - or, in fact, even control the puck well - in open ice.

Even in games we have won, I can count on one hand the number of games in which I felt the team had any sort of control either over their own play or the game's outcome.

I guess if I had to come up with a metaphor, this team is a collection of puppies. They'll run spastically and haphazardly all over the place, wear themselves out, and then trip over each other trying to find a place to nap.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We have a lot of talent I think but it is a lot of lazy talent. We see it year after year. This team eventually loses it's compete and just starts going through the motions.

I like OEL but he is the captain and he looks pretty lackadaisical out there. Kessel was supposed to help us turn the corner but that's a fail. With the exception of Garland, we have too many little guys who are afraid of the corners, and we have too many guys like Fischer are regressing and if they cannot turn it around, may find themselves out of the league eventually.

We need to bring in a few blue collar guys who give it their all every time they are on the ice like Soderberg. Guys who have some size, some heart, and have some push back.

Kessel is getting old so we can expect if we trade only to probably get the same in return. What if we worked out some kind of deal with him plus a Dman going to Montreal for Weber? How about Fischer and a 2nd for Josh Anderson? Just spitballing but it's time to make some changes.
Last year one of our downfalls was size. That has not been addressed. None of our draft picks, besides OEL, have shown much. No home run pick. You build through the draft and a few good trades. We are a bubble team, we play great for stretches, then bad, then so so. Our talent is not quite there yet. Also, I think coaching has been suspect, but most say RT is doing a good job. I don't know, but our coaching staff doesn't have a good track record. Housley did well as an assistant, but terrible as head coach, same for RT. The other guy I won't even talk about, gets me too p----- off. Then you look at our record and people say "why are we complaining"? It's hard to win in the NHL with parity and all.

rt

May 13, 2004
The thing that makes the least sense in this world is that somehow Derek Stepan is still in his twenties. He LOOKS at least 10 years older than he is and he plays AT LEAST 5 years older than he is.

I honestly can’t remember a player ever being so suddenly, so drastically and so prematurely aged.

It’s truly remarkable.

Reactions: 0point1 and MIG

rt

May 13, 2004
Coyotes are 2nd in the Pacific, 4th in the WC and 8th overall, on pace for 100 points....and after Dec 8th, will have navigated through the most difficult 2 months of the schedule.

We're in terrific shape headed into 2020.
Good for perspective. Thanks!

I will also add that we are watching Chychrun take the next step. Could we be more excited about what we are seeing from this player?

Reactions: Jakey53

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I think they said on the broadcast last night that this was our best November since 1998.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
More High Danger Scoring chances means we should have won the game. If only it were that easy.

upload_2019-12-1_10-40-55.png

Natural Stat Trick

justin323032

Oct 12, 2018
The thing that makes the least sense in this world is that somehow Derek Stepan is still in his twenties. He LOOKS at least 10 years older than he is and he plays AT LEAST 5 years older than he is.

I honestly can’t remember a player ever being so suddenly, so drastically and so prematurely aged.

It’s truly remarkable.

Hold my cane!

1575219461134_r.jpg

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
I just wish we would stop signing players and gm's before we actually accomplish something. Playoffs or bust this year. I dont want to hear anything about being improved blah blah blah.

My model organization right now is the Blues...they keep losing guys and plugging in new ones....and winning. Hardly a soft guy on the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad