GDT: Game 28: GOTTA SUPPORT THE TEAM! | Hawks @ Devils | Dec 9, 2014 | 6:00 PM | CSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The world ending crowd is annoying at all times, not just an hour or more after the game.

Well I understand that that's the way some people are during games. I am sometimes, sometimes I'm not. I get that way more when my teams are struggling for an extended period of time when they shouldn't be. But some people do it more often, some people don't don't do it at all. On a message board, you'll get a mix of all. That's the way it is. As long as the people who get frustrated during games take a step back when it's all done and realize how awesome this all is, then its fine with me.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Well we may not of deserve 2 points but I always think of that famous line Clint Eastwood said to Gene Hackman in Unforgiven before he blew his head off:

"Deserves got nothin to do with it..."

I'll see you in hell, Salvaged Ship.

zac

Apr 29, 2009
Very happy with 2 points tonight.. the boys looked sluggish/sloppy tonight. Going to need to be better against Boston/NY.

I didn't think we looked that sluggish at all to be honest. Our passing was very crisp, but New Jersey, to their credit, wasn't giving us much room. We caught them on a couple of odd mans and had some nice zone possessions but we didn't have much of a transition game at all. I thought it was more of them stepping up to the challenge than it was failing to meet one.

My only gripe on the game was the PP. I am amazed, stunned, and angry that we continue to have our point men stay within 2 god damned feet of the blue line for 90% of the man advantage. As we saw from PK's blast the other night, point men are dangerous scorers when they creep in. Our pointmen continue to hang around the blue line even when situations present themselves to creep forward and blast a higher percentage one-timer or slapper. We also crowded each other about 5-6 times with the man advantage. WTF is the point in stopping 3-5 feet away from the player with the puck on the perimeter?

Our coaching staff and or players need to quit wasting these opportunities. Seabrook and Keith aren't scoring their goals from the blue line, they are scoring them when they are creeping into the play. Virtually EVERY successful PP incorporates this strategy. That's why we have top notch firepower and a lackluster percentage. Same ******** we've seen most of the last several years.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Mark Lazerus @MarkLazerus · 5h 5 hours ago
Scott Darling on shootout: "When Tazer scored, it kind of takes a little bit of pressure off me. And Kane always scores." #Blackhawks

What a difference a year makes. :)

here come the

Mar 25, 2013
Its stupid and I know I shouldn't really care, but it bugs me that general perception seems to be that Kane is better than Toews at the shootout

member 151739

Its stupid and I know I shouldn't really care, but it bugs me that general perception seems to be that Kane is better than Toews at the shootout

General perception is also that Keith isn't good defensively and only gets secondary assists because he's on the Hawks.

But Kane and Toews are pretty even. I'll give the edge to Toews out of consistency year in, year out. He has a couple moves. He's like Oshie in that sense. He's very efficient. Kane, on the other hand, is very creative and is arguably the best stickhandler in the league. If it wasn't for last season's uncharacteristically bad shootout year for Kane, his career percentage would actually be higher than Toews', I believe. But that'd be rewriting history. So I'm going to just say they are pretty even. Neither of them are clearly better at it. They're both great however, and it's nice to have both of them every time.

SatchelRuaz

Nov 2, 2014

It's just because he's so flashy when he is doing it. He has a dozen or so highlight-reel goals that fuel that perception. Toews just scores...nothing crazy, just pots it.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It is funny we are playing well yet don't have one thread on the main board while one fanbase starts a thread every day on there it seems. Some teams win a few and the fan base asks if the are for real contenders, etc. We just go about our day quietly.

I thought Dahlbeck looked ok. Only played 10 minutes though.

In Q speak yes, he was okay, which generally means pretty bad.

Right now he looks like another Rundblad to me. If John's is even close to NHL ready I'd like to see him get a shot next.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Toews always has and always will be better at shootouts. Kane's goals are more memorable which is why the perception is skewed.

When it goes in, Kane makes scoring look easy and when he doesn't score it looks like he wasn't giving it his all. Such is the life of as talented a player as he.

Savardian Spinorama

Mar 29, 2011
Chicago
As slick as Kane's SO move was, the move by Toews was deceptively nasty. His five hole wrister is so feared that he doesn't really need to fake it to buy him all the time and space he needs to drop one in. Even as someone that despises the SO, watching those two is always entertaining.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013

Right now he looks like another Rundblad to me. If John's is even close to NHL ready I'd like to see him get a shot next.

Brennan and Pokka both deserve NHL cups of coffee before Johns right now IMO.

And as for Dahlbeck's performance, he did screen Darling unfortunately on the 2nd Devils goal but that Q put him back out there right afterward means Q was showing a little faith in him.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

Completely agree. Dahlbeck didn't look that good to me, and I was trying really hard to like him. He had an OK start to the game, but as it went on, he looked worse and worse.

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
There is absolutely no doubt that the best performing young Dman is TvR. he looked legit in every way. He, I think, may have skewed some of our expectations. That is, TvR was so good that the others (Dahlbeck and Clendenning in particular) look rather lacking in comparison. That said, I thought Clendenning looked OK. Dahlbeck... not enough data yet... but maybe he'll be OK?

Slopo

Nov 3, 2011
It's Dahlbeck's 2nd(?) game. Let's give him some time before we decide to write him off.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I've been mildly disappointed in the little bit of what we saw from Clendening and now Dahlbeck. Small sample size, but I don't think either look ready.

As someone intimated above, TVR just blended in so seamlessly.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
There is absolutely no doubt that the best performing young Dman is TvR. he looked legit in every way. He, I think, may have skewed some of our expectations. That is, TvR was so good that the others (Dahlbeck and Clendenning in particular) look rather lacking in comparison. That said, I thought Clendenning looked OK. Dahlbeck... not enough data yet... but maybe he'll be OK?

I'm still sad about his injury. :(

shalott

Feb 8, 2013
General perception is also that Keith isn't good defensively and only gets secondary assists because he's on the Hawks.

But Kane and Toews are pretty even. I'll give the edge to Toews out of consistency year in, year out. He has a couple moves. He's like Oshie in that sense. He's very efficient. Kane, on the other hand, is very creative and is arguably the best stickhandler in the league. If it wasn't for last season's uncharacteristically bad shootout year for Kane, his career percentage would actually be higher than Toews', I believe. But that'd be rewriting history. So I'm going to just say they are pretty even. Neither of them are clearly better at it. They're both great however, and it's nice to have both of them every time.

Kane seems to have either really good years (77.7%, 50%, 54.5%, 75% this season so far *knock on wood*) or really bad ones (33.3%, 26.6%, 30%, last season's horrific 9%.) Toews generally stays put between 45-55%, with this season being an outlier at 25% thus far.

Even taking out last year, which was obviously Kane's worst and one of Toews' better ones, it's still 45.7% Kane vs. 47.4% Toews, though.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
I've been mildly disappointed in the little bit of what we saw from Clendening and now Dahlbeck. Small sample size, but I don't think either look ready.

As someone intimated above, TVR just blended in so seamlessly.

Hold it...you are ready to throw Dahlbeck under the bus after just 2 games? YOU are disappointed...even mildly. ..somehow? AFTER just 2 games? YOU expected what,Bobby Orr? Or to be at least as good as the great TVR? TVR who after his 18GP had the sum total of just 1A and was at Zero in plus/minus....but because Dahlbeck has no points in 2 games and is -1, this is a disappointment? Maybe to be fair you should allow him some more games?

I take it you do not recall how really stinky Keith and Seabrook were in their initial seasons...Or that you think both of these illustrious men never get beat...never goof...never get caught pinching and never are on for goals against anymore....and that You are satisfied with the "great" NHL ready plus minus stats that 2 and 7 have posed so far this season as READY experienced.NHL vets?
Yes Dahlbeck was on the ice for 2 goals against last night and for 1 goal for so netting -1...but no way was it his fault on the first goal against....Seabrook made a bad pass cross ice up to attempt to connect with Shaw but it was off target a nice intercept and re-directed tip to Tootoo by Bernier and a shot and a goal...Either blame Seabrook for a lousy pass or blame Shaw for not checking Bernier before he could tip it over to Tootoo. ..but Nothing Dahlbeck could do to.prevent that goal. .Not his fault...

ON the 2nd goal Dahlbeck was there battling in the crease to push out the NJ forward but the puck took a bad bounce up in the air after a shot and it was batter in baseball style. ..a nice ability by the NJ scorer just as our guys like Shaw have sometimes converted to goals by batting puckstopper in the air in..Not really much a man can do with such lucky opportunities...if the shot had not deflected up in the air maybe Dahlbeck could have gotten a stick or skate on it on the ice to get the puck away..but instead pure bad luck to have the puck deflect up into the air and then a nice stick by the NJ forward tp bat it in while it was in the air. I am certain both Seabrook and Keith had a few situations like that go against them too over the years.

I do think Dahlbeck was better the prior game than this one. ..but so were the majority of the Hawks..

Let us see a few more games before we judge if Dahlbeck is ready or not..but either way he still is only going to be third pairing not a featured top four guy. ..though I did like the fact that he.let go two good shots on goal from the point...more accurate that Keith and Seabrook whose point shots either are blocked or miss the net too often...So there may be some latent goal ability from point shots from Dahlbeck of he continues to get shots through on net and if he shoots enough to display a good hard on target shot that becomes dangerous...but we need more games to Serbia that manifests.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
What in blazes was that look on Man's face after he scored in the SO to win it?

1. He showed no joy in victory...no smile...looked either bored with what transpired or sick to his stomach of the whole NJ stymie style game that forces teams to beat protected goalies and to work to get off checks..

Or

2.He looked sick....like he was coming down with something...I hope he did not catch the mumps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad