Post-Game Talk: GAME #28: Canucks 3 vs. Golden Knights 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Team played well against a very good, hot team that has been pouring in goals. Probably deserved a point but get burned by a pathetic effort on the SHG from players who should never be on the ice in that situation.

- Boeser had a much better game offensively and finished the chances that ended up on his stick. Lazy defensive play is a concern.

- Pettersson had a quiet game overall but the play on the 1-0 goal was incredible.

- Horvat continues to be a total horse for the team despite being chained to terrible linemates. Somehow made his line work despite being stuck with a guy just in the AHL and another one that should be.

- that's about enough of Leipsic for me. -3 tonight, zero finish, lousy effort on the winning goal. About time to waive this player and see if Carcone or MacEwan can deliver something more.

- Granlund total trash again. Horrible on two of the Vegas goals. Soft, lazy player. How multiple coaches who bench other players at the drop of a hat have given this guy a free pass for his gutless play is beyond me.

- Virtanen skated well tonight and was justly promoted up to the Horvat line where he's a better fit.

- Schaller fell down on a breakaway, made a brutal turnover in his own zone ... and then picked up a 2nd assist on a neutral zone pass! Put that guy back on the top line.

- Gaudette wouldn't have been as soft as Granlund was tonight. We've won 1 of 11 games. Give the guy some minutes and see if he can be better than the crap playing ahead of him.

- Motte was good tonight and has found his legs in the last week after losing them for a month.

- Del Zotto played his best game of the year and skated really well. Pairing with Tanev was our best.

- Edler played really well except in the PP, where he still sucks. Biega with another solid game.

- Stecher had good moments but was burned on the rush a few times. Feel for Hutton who was very good again but a -2 after being hung out to dry by his teammates twice.

- Markstrom was solid despite the 4 GA.

- 2nd unit PP needs to be stapled to the bench while Boeser and Pettersson play the full 2 mins.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
Questionable personnel decisions in the last minute with MDZ and Eriksson out there to tie the game. The first PP unit should probably just stay out for close to the entire 2 minutes, the second unit is beyond useless.

Reaves hitting Edler was clear interference, don't get that one.

Not impressed with Goldobin on the winning goal, too casual.

So much dead weight on this roster, lots of guys who can't produce and aren't good at suppressing goals either.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's not too early to start embracing the tank. This was basically 'must win' game with third place in the Pacific on the line.....now losers of 10 in the last 11....that's a team destined for the depths of lottery land for sure.

Other than Petersson, Horvat and Boeser, the rest of the this lineup is just awful up front. And the blueline was bad last year, and they're bad this year.

And finally in goal. Markstrom is leading the NHL in losses; a save percentage under 900 and allows more third period goals than any guy in the league. If Bobrovsky or Varlemov are available in the off-season the Canucks have to be interested. Without goaltending, your rebuild won't get off the ground.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Funny thing about Boeser is that before I was convinced he was injured, and now I think he looks like he's back to normal after the extended recovery time. So now he has no excuses for being lazy. I think I give him one more game of "rust" before I start really pointing it out.

Reactions: pgj98m3

Var

Nov 10, 2007
What plays got under the skin of Travis Green? Sounded real pissed off about something.

RealGudbranson

Jun 19, 2008
What plays got under the skin of Travis Green? Sounded real pissed off about something.

He's probably mad at 21 crowding the boards on the final pp, causing a turnover, then with the two other forwards skating out of the zone giving VGK a two on one to win.

Well... I hope he's mad at that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No issue with Del Zotto out there late.

Edler was hurt and Del Zotto was excellent tonight, involved in the play and skated miles.

Eriksson on the other hand ...

Reactions: geebaan

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Just haven't got the horses. While the team does look a lot better without Pouliot and Gudbranson tossing puck away every shift, it's still not good enough. Obviously. Someone's always there to make a bad play at the wrong time.

Reactions: mossey3535

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
- that's about enough of Leipsic for me. -3 tonight, zero finish, lousy effort on the winning goal. About time to waive this player and see if Carcone or MacEwan can deliver something more.

- Granlund total trash again. Horrible on two of the Vegas goals. Soft, lazy player. How multiple coaches who bench other players at the drop of a hat have given this guy a free pass for his gutless play is beyond me.

- Schaller fell down on a breakaway, made a brutal turnover in his own zone ... and then picked up a 2nd assist on a neutral zone pass! Put that guy back on the top line.

- Gaudette wouldn't have been as soft as Granlund was tonight. We've won 1 of 11 games. Give the guy some minutes and see if he can be better than the crap playing ahead of him.

The hypocrisy in this organization astounds me. I know part of it is the veteran bias of like 99% of NHL coaches but this is ridiculous. So many of these guys given so many chances without returning on the investment and frankly just stinking it up. Yet Gaudette comes out and shows good jump every game and he's unjustly punished for maybe one poor shot block decision a couple of games ago. But we can trot out Leipsic and Granlund and have them float around and make almost no effort and be responsible for the winning goal against. Our motto is "Battle" my ass.

And then Green, Mr I NEED TO WIN EVERY GAME, splits PP time for no reason and doesn't play our best players in the last minute. I thought you wanted to win! WHY DO YOU MICROMANAGE ALL THE THINGS EXCEPT THE THINGS THAT WOULD ACTUALLY HELP YOU TO DO THAT?

Wo Yorfat

dumb person
Nov 7, 2016
Poor DJ plays Chelsea Dagger and gets canned.

Meanwhile Benning signs a bunch of no talent garbage which continues to accumulate leading the franchise to 4 consecutive losing seasons -leads to declining tickets sales and empty arenas....and gets extended 4 yrs.

I hate the owners of this team.

Ignores horrific results and is obsessed with things that happened 5+ yrs ago? Sounds like some of our prolific posters. Sure maybe Eriksson was just an ok signing but remember the Ballard trade?!?!

Reactions: geebaan and MS

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The hypocrisy in this organization astounds me. I know part of it is the veteran bias of like 99% of NHL coaches but this is ridiculous. So many of these guys given so many chances without returning on the investment and frankly just stinking it up. Yet Gaudette comes out and shows good jump every game and he's unjustly punished for maybe one poor shot block decision a couple of games ago. But we can trot out Leipsic and Granlund and have them float around and make almost no effort and be responsible for the winning goal against. Our motto is "Battle" my ass.

And then Green, Mr I NEED TO WIN EVERY GAME, splits PP time for no reason and doesn't play our best players in the last minute. I thought you wanted to win! WHY DO YOU MICROMANAGE ALL THE THINGS EXCEPT THE THINGS THAT WOULD ACTUALLY HELP YOU TO DO THAT?

Yup, exactly this.

Some useless players get endless rope despite never delivering anything. Others do everything asked of them but are punished for the tiniest mistake.

And yeah, the micromanaging of every neutral zone faceoff while playing someone like Granlund for half of every PP is beyond belief.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
You cannot pay someone $6m (and give them prime minutes) to have them contribute no more than a waiver wire pickup.

It is corrosive. Along with PP deployment, Schaller deployment, etc. Corrosive. The opposite of building a team or any kind of positive culture.

In BUF v TBL tonight, Eichel hit someone from behind into the boards, and another TBL went after him immediately.

The Canucks don't do that, and it shouldn't be a mystery why.

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Good effort by the Canucks. Thought they were overall the better team although have to bury their chances better. Vegas had horseshoes around their net as well as good goal tending.

Good

Horvat - awesome game. Compelled the team back into the game. Just ran the third period.

Motte - back to being effective. Plays his role very well.

Virtanen - tailed off late but he created good chances with speed and thumping people around. If only he had a little more touch around the net.

del Zotto - strong in his end and one defenseman able to effectively join in on the offense. (so rarely seen around here). Got his wheels going ATM

Edler - good shut down game and moved puck out of his end well.

Not Good

Stecher - had players going around or through him way too often. Got absolutely man handled in his end. Butchered any offensive chance he got. People like Stecher and usually give a free pass but right now he is our worst defenseman (well as long as Poo is not playing). Having a difficult season.

Shaller - made the one pass up to Horvat but otherwise rarely in the play. Looked like every thing was too fast for him. Probably is. Out played by even Gaudette. At the moment looks like another poor signing.

Eriksson - looks absolutely done as a player. (and still has plenty of term left - thanks Elmer)

Others

Leipcis - even when he works hard has real trouble in transition at this level of hockey.

Boeser - poor start to the game but came on as game went on. Did what he does best - put the puck in the net (had some sitters in this game). Still lots of bobbles with the puck and really not back to playing two way hockey. Big improvement, however, over last game

Pettersson - all world play on the assist but stumbled a fair bit and screwed up chances. Still like a Bambi out there finding his legs. Gets a little more maturity and he will be lights out.

Gagner - another decent effort although some of the old defensive problems in his end seem to be reappearing.

Even given this winning streak Vegas is not as good as last year. Their team last year would have skated us out of the game with a 3 - 1 lead.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
You cannot pay someone $6m (and give them prime minutes) to have them contribute no more than a waiver wire pickup.

It is corrosive. Along with PP deployment, Schaller deployment, etc. Corrosive. The opposite of building a team or any kind of positive culture.

In BUF v TBL tonight, Eichel hit someone from behind into the boards, and another TBL went after him immediately.

The Canucks don't do that, and it shouldn't be a mystery why.

Obviously real stars get special treatment. It's always been like that. Everyone on a hockey team understands that. But the pecking order underneath those guys and maybe 1-2 veterans has to be a meritocracy. Otherwise why should the rest of the team give a crap?

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Getting closer to the W column with this game IMO. Beagle will be back soon, helps relieve some of Horvats offence and helps out the PK. Before you know it Sutterll be back too, and i think we see a diffy team. Edler and Boeser have put some better effort from this team. One step at a time, going fwd. Las Vegas is becoming a tough team again this year so keep it in mind we took em to the last minute and were one goal away. Lotta positives come from this game guys, cmon

Reactions: Canuckle1970

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">My my my Reilly <a href="Vegas Golden Knights on Twitter">pic.twitter.com/0m1Y13Bdoc</a></p>&mdash; Vegas Golden Knights (@GoldenKnights) <a href="">November 30, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

No i really mean Goldy. Whats he doing with his stick ?? Floating

And that doesn't even show the horrid back pass he made to cause the rush. He's lucky offensive zone turnovers are not recorded or he'd be leading the league by a mile.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I like Stechers motor and heart.

But this guy just doesnt have the elite skill justified to be that small and a blueliner.

He isnt going to be part of this core when we are competitive.
Have to agree..when Hughes arrives, there's no way they can go with two undersized d-men in the lineup. The Canucks blueline has to improve and as it is upgraded, Stecher is a guy who there's just no room for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad