Pre-Game Talk: Game 28 3/18 7:07 PM - GAME ON!!!! Finally we play Buffalo - NESN, ESPN+, SN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2021-3-17_16-17-51.png

upload_2021-3-17_16-18-22.png

160496133_10223407897838355_7187609220387180743_o.jpg

Considering the current state of the Buffalo Sabres, the Boston Bruins seem to have a good opportunity to win back-to-back games for the first time in more than a month.

In the wake of firing coach Ralph Krueger, the Sabres look to avoid a 13th straight defeat, and also end their recent struggles against the visiting Bruins, on Thursday night.

Buffalo is 0-10-2 since winning 4-1 at New Jersey on Feb. 23 and has been outscored 50-19 during its longest losing streak since dropping 14 straight during the 2014-15 season. The Sabres' 3-2 loss at New Jersey on Tuesday proved to be the last straw for Krueger, who was relieved of his duties Wednesday morning.

Krueger, 61, went 36-49-12 in fewer than two seasons guiding the Sabres, who are 6-18-4, have an NHL-low 16 points, been outscored 35-9 during an 0-8-1 home skid and are 0-for-18 on the power play over the last 11 contests. Assistant Don Granato will take over on an interim basis, according to Sabres general manager Kevyn Adams, who addressed the media Wednesday.

"We need to be better in every way," Adams said. "You name it, we need to do it better. We need to coach better. We need to scout better. We need to practice better.

"This is about moving forward. This is about, how do we improve?"

It hasn't helped that Buffalo is currently without star Jack Eichel (upper-body injury) and No. 1 goaltender Linus Ullmark (lower body). Victor Olofsson is tied for the team lead with 19 points but has none over the last three games. High-profile acquisition Taylor Hall, meanwhile, has gone four straight without a point.

"There has to be pride that goes with putting on a Buffalo jersey," Adams added. "There has to be a pride of showing up every day and being a National Hockey League player."

None of this would seem to bode well with Boston coming to town for games Thursday and Saturday.

The Bruins are 5-7-2 without consecutive victories since winning five straight from Feb. 1-12. However, they've won five in a row over Buffalo and should have some momentum after grinding out a 2-1 victory at Pittsburgh on Tuesday.

Trent Frederic scored the tiebreaking goal at the 7:07 mark of the third period, and Dan Vladar made 34 saves to win his first NHL start, as the Bruins won on the road for just the second time in seven games.

"It was a great team effort," Vladar said. "(It was) really good for us that we got the win.

"Keep working hard, because it's worth it."

It's uncertain if Vladar will get a second straight start. Teammate Tuukka Rask is still day-to-day with an undisclosed injury while Jaroslav Halak (2.15 goals-against average) allowed seven goals in losing his last two starts.

Halak, though, is 12-3-0 with a 2.13 goals-against all-time against Buffalo.

Boston's David Pastrnak scored his team-leading 13th goal Tuesday. Pastrnak, along with fellow Bruins stars Brad Marchand and Patrice Bergeron have combined for six goals and 10 assists in their last three games against the Sabres.

Buffalo's current goaltending duo of Carter Hutton (3.43 GAA) and Jonas Johansson (3.79 GAA) are a combined 1-14-2 this season.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Conventional wisdom says 8 games against the Sabres is a good thing for what ails the Bruins.

They could also bear the brunt of the so called “dead cat bounce” that Buffalo receives after firing the coach.

The Sabres are selling tickets for the Saturday game and they are having trouble convincing fans to come

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Listening to talk radio here there is a genuine fear the team may relocate - There is only one family in WNY that could afford to buy them but it would mean selling the NHL team they own.

The shame is that Buffalo is a tremendous NHL market. Whenever they release the numbers for ratings for Stanley Cup finals broadcasts, the Buffalo market usually pulls the highest share, often higher than the home markets of the teams playing.

Any threat of the Sabres leaving is not going to be the result of demand, but purely based on the mismanagement of the roster over ten years to be a complete disaster. Additionally the NHL is piss-poor at marketing its stars, people should recognize Jack Eichel's face, but I couldn't tell you what he looks like. He should be in commercials, billboards, etc. But nope.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
They are the perfect team to face to build their confidence on the ice and 5 on 5. Now if they lose, that's not going to be a good look. These are the games they need to win if they want to make the playoffs.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Listening to talk radio here there is a genuine fear the team may relocate - There is only one family in WNY that could afford to buy them but it would mean selling the NHL team they own.

I have absolutely no problem with a Buffalo-based family selling their NHL team and buying the Sabres. They can take their overpriced concessions out of the Garden, too.

For all the woes a lot of teams have had in leadership (fire the coach, GMs resigning, entire coaching staffs being out from COVID), the Bruins have been playing on easy mode.

I just hope we make the most of the 8 games. Taking less than 11 points in aggregate would be a disappointment. I was surprised at how well we started, but I don’t think we’re as bad as we have been the last 2-3 weeks.

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls

For a while there was talk of moving the Sabres to Hamilton. An arena that wasn't
up to spec in the Hamilton downtown and adverse reaction from the Leafs finished
that thought off pretty quickly.

Reactions: AngryMilkcrates

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
When I was a young teenager and started really following the Bruins, the Adams Division looked like this:

Boston
Montreal
Buffalo
Hartford
Quebec

If the Sabres move, only the Bruins and Canadiens will be left. :(

Is the concern felt by Sabres fans justified? Is there really a chance the Sabres could move? That makes me sad.

With the Sabres gone, the current division would feel like one of those reunions at Gettysburg. They tried to tear each other’s throats out a very long time ago, but as the years go by, fewer and fewer veterans from the old battlefields return. The ones that do remember the old days...

upload_2021-3-17_18-23-34.jpeg

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
When I was a young teenager and started really following the Bruins, the Adams Division looked like this:

Boston
Montreal
Buffalo
Hartford
Quebec

If the Sabres move, only the Bruins and Canadiens will be left. :(

Is the concern felt by Sabres fans justified? Is there really a chance the Sabres could move? That makes me sad.

With the Sabres gone, the current division would feel like one of those reunions at Gettysburg. They tried to tear each other’s throats out a very long time ago, but as the years go by, fewer and fewer veterans from the old battlefields return. The ones that do remember the old days...

View attachment 408960

I imagine they have a real concern over the border closure and when that will be taken
care of and opened again. A lot of the businesses in Buffalo and Niagara Falls, NY depend
heavily on Canadian shopping dollars (not to mention what comes over here with the
tourism and shoppers). I'm sure the Sabres are going to feel a huge pinch if the border
doesn't open up in a hurry. There are huge crowds of Canadians that head over for a Sabre
game because its cheaper than going to a Leaf game, and its within a little over an hour's
drive from Toronto.

I remember going to Bruins games (never missed them at the old Aud) when you'd
cross the border and the ONLY question they asked was...."Going to the game?"...."yup"
....."ok...go ahead". Mind you it probably helped somewhat that my license plates say
BRUINS. :)

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Buffalo isn't moving anywhere. They're just in a bad place for the near future with a combination of the pandemic locking most of their fans out of the building at the worst possible time and the team itself massively flopping despite the heavy investment by Pegula in the roster.

They'll continue to suck for a few years but could pull the nose up with smart management. Might involve selling Eichel for a kings' ransom now which would cause the fans to riot, but in 3-5 years will pay off for the franchise.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
I imagine they have a real concern over the border closure and when that will be taken
care of and opened again. A lot of the businesses in Buffalo and Niagara Falls, NY depend
heavily on Canadian shopping dollars (not to mention what comes over here with the
tourism and shoppers). I'm sure the Sabres are going to feel a huge pinch if the border
doesn't open up in a hurry. There are huge crowds of Canadians that head over for a Sabre
game because its cheaper than going to a Leaf game, and its within a little over an hour's
drive from Toronto.

I remember going to Bruins games (never missed them at the old Aud) when you'd
cross the border and the ONLY question they asked was...."Going to the game?"...."yup"
....."ok...go ahead". Mind you it probably helped somewhat that my license plates say
BRUINS. :)
Awesome!

Ive been to Buffalo a few times and have friends there. Although I don’t really care about the Sabres one way or another, I’d feel bad for my friends.

Also, the Sabres were part of two huge milestones for me. They were the opponent in the first Bruins game my dad ever took me to. Playoff game in 1988 - win. And the first game I ever took my wife to - Brad Marchand OT penalty shot win!

I hope the situation at the border gets better soon!

Reactions: OV

Jean_Jacket41

Neely = HOF
Jun 25, 2003
With the smurfs
On the one hand, the Sabres sucks and have lost 12 in a row.

On the other hand, they just fired their coach, are due to play a good game at some point and Bruins notorious to play down to their opposition and making bad G look like Vezina winner.

Scary...

Bruins have to win at least 12pts against the Sabres this year.

Bank 4 on Thursday and Saturday.

Do it.

Reactions: Richard Lather

OV

Obstructed View
Sep 23, 2003
Niagara Falls
Awesome!

Ive been to Buffalo a few times and have friends there. Although I don’t really care about the Sabres one way or another, I’d feel bad for my friends.

Also, the Sabres were part of two huge milestones for me. They were the opponent in the first Bruins game my dad ever took me to. Playoff game in 1988 - win. And the first game I ever took my wife to - Brad Marchand OT penalty shot win!

I hope the situation at the border gets better soon!

And conversely, the first game I ever went to at the Boston Gardens was against
the Sabres back in 1991. They weren't my first choice for teams to see there, but
that's the way the timing for a few days off worked out.

Reactions: rfournier103
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad