GDT: Game 27: Seattle Kraken(15-8-3) @ Florida Panthers(13-11-4) - 3:00 p.m. PT / 6:00 p.m. ET

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
Love to see the Panthers fans defending that hit by Lomberg.

Worst part of my role here is that I end up seeing the worst opinions of every team's fans (I also see all of the racist crap) - basically, everything that gets reported ends up on my desk.

You wouldn't believe some of the stuff we have to delete.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Worst part of my role here is that I end up seeing the worst opinions of every team's fans (I also see all of the racist crap) - basically, everything that gets reported ends up on my desk.

I would never mod for the website. lol Ive ventured into the main forums a couple times and can only imagine, And it wasnt even really that bad of things said, basically what Fistfull mentioned.

Reactions: Bear of Bad News

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Love to see the Panthers fans defending that hit by Lomberg. On the other hand most of us agreed that the hit by Oleksiak deserved a major.
I had a Florida broadcast feed for the game and it was hilarious to listen to the announcers all confused by the penalty calls and how many times they said "I don't think it's a major" for a face plant into the stanchion by a known, shall we be kind and say, "grit" player.
Florida are a dirty team. Without question.

Good solid road win. Good team defense and very good effort level all the way. Great bounce back for the team, shows real character.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA

I can imagine. One thing I have learnt is that a lof of sports fan lose all objectivity. I have seen my own family and friends do that so it's not like my loved ones don't do it either. I am pretty sure I have done that too but I do try to be as objective as possible.

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest
I can imagine. One thing I have learnt is that a lof of sports fan lose all objectivity. I have seen my own family and friends do that so it's not like my loved ones don't do it either. I am pretty sure I have done that too but I do try to be as objective as possible.

I think all we have to do is compare this to the last Caps game to see how objectivity is effected by team colors.

Oleksiak's hit was pretty brutal, but some of the broadcast team tried to find a defense for it to lessen the perceived severity of it. At least they came to the conclusion that it was major worthy, but there was absolutely a different reaction as opposed to the Lomberg hit.

With the Lomberg hit, it is obvious Lomberg was upset about being grabbed around the head, but watching the boarding play, while it was a terrible hit, Lomberg absolutely held back and gave Schultz a shoulder shove into the boards, but he side-stepped the hit, jumping to the side so as not to drive Schwartz into the boards and finish the check with his body and weight behind the hit. It was a really dangerous play, but I don't think the intent to injure was there, it was just a idiotic hit on his part. Had he wanted to injure Schultz, he could have taken him with a full body check into the boards, and it would have likely been a whole lot worse.

With Oleksiak's hit, he targeted Alexeyev's head and then popped his elbow/shoulder up upon contact. Oleksiak doesn't really play that way, so I can only assume that he was not really paying attention to Alexeyev and was thinking he was going to connect with body? But intent and actions are very different, and it is hard to look at the play and defend it the way the broadcast was searching to do at first.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
The refs better police this game. That was an ugly hit on Schultz.

Like @GrungeHockey I had to watch the Florida broadcast(games broadcasted by Sky only have one broadcast) and those folks complained that it "didn't look like a five minute penalty" by Lomberg who also just mindlessly kept hitting Beniers when he was on the ground. :facepalm:

Hopefully Schultz won't miss much time given that we're already down a defenseman for two more games.

Overall a good response win by the team showing fight, getting through rough patches against a talented offensive team and with a solid performance by Jones.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
After the Lomberg hit on Schultz the first thing I noticed was Matty jumping in on Lomberg. Both surprised and impressed at the same time. He continues to play and lead years above his age! He will be captain sooner than expected. Much sooner. Face of the franchise if he continues on this path.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad