GDT: Game #27|Mar. 10, 2013|Sabres at Flyers |7:30 p.m. ET

Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I'm sorry, should defensive breakdowns never lead to goals?

every team has defensive breakdowns. do they lead to goals at the rate they do with the Flyers. Just about every single time you see a mistake either mentally or physically by one of the defenders or forwards that leads to a good scoring chance it ends up in the back of the net.
ill say it for the billionth time. Bryzgalov isnt the main problem, but like everyone else he shares responsibility for whats going on here.
How many other goalies in Flyer history had backers of goalies sporting below average numbers that Bryzgalov has? Even Brian Boucher when he was the starter here years ago didnt have the type of numbers Bryzgalov has.
But yeah lets put all the blame on the head coach. :facepalm:

RJ8812*

every team has defensive breakdowns. do they lead to goals at the rate they do with the Flyers. Just about every single time you see a mistake either mentally or physically by one of the defenders or forwards that leads to a good scoring chance it ends up in the back of the net.
ill say it for the billionth time. Bryzgalov isnt the main problem, but like everyone else he shares responsibility for whats going on here.
How many other goalies in Flyer history had backers of goalies sporting below average numbers that Bryzgalov has? Even Brian Boucher when he was the starter here years ago didnt have the type of numbers Bryzgalov has.
But yeah lets put all the blame on the head coach. :facepalm:

woa, woa, woa! don't talk too much sense here!

Bernie Parent 1974

Sep 29, 2009
I'm sorry, should defensive breakdowns never lead to goals?

on the Flyers defensive breakdowns should never lead to goals. I saw Bryz make some pretty good pad saves on defensive breakdowns .... but they don't count .... they simply fall into the category of "big deal, that's what he's paid to do"

he gets all the blame when he makes a mistake & no credit when did makes a big save ..... simply "that's what I expect for XX million" ..... that's Philly for ya ;)

did you see Miller flub that 1 goal ? how can that be ?? he's All -World, right ?? only Bryz does that, right ?

you would think that the only team who gets scored on when there is a defensive breakdown is the Flyers.

oh, and the Sabres, too ..... we saw that yesterday. every other team has a lower % of "defensive breakdowns that lead to goals" ..... there must be some stat to show how bad only our goaltending is on this front .....

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
on the Flyers defensive breakdowns should never lead to goals. I saw Bryz make some pretty good pad saves on defensive breakdowns .... but they don't count .... they simply fall into the category of "big deal, that's what he's paid to do"

he gets all the blame when he makes a mistake & no credit when did makes a big save ..... simply "that's what I expect for XX million" ..... that's Philly for ya ;)

did you see Miller flub that 1 goal ? how can that be ?? he's All -World, right ?? only Bryz does that, right ?

you would think that the only team who gets scored on when there is a defensive breakdown is the Flyers.

oh, and the Sabres, too ..... we saw that yesterday. every other team has a lower % of "defensive breakdowns that lead to goals" ..... there must be some stat to show how bad only our goaltending is on this front .....

It was a bad game for Miller. It happens. However, it has been happening a lot more often to Bryzgalov, which is the problem. Your sarcasm is cute, but misplaced, and once again missed the bigger issues.

Miller: .914%
Bryz: .899%

At the end of the day, Miller has stopped more pucks on a team that is worse offensively and defensively than the Flyers. Last night was an exception for him, though seems to be part of a larger trend where he struggles against Philadelphia.

Edit: He has a .852% against the Flyers in his last six starts, and is posting something like .915% overall in that time span going back to last year. Lundvist stands on his head whenever he plays Philly, and Miller craps himself.

Edit 2: Wow, Miller almost matched Bryz statistically in a game where Bryz got the win. That's discouraging. .893% compared to .900. He would have matched him if he'd faced two more shots.

Last edited:

PhillyFlying

F1eyrS
Sep 15, 2010
Philadelphia
it was entirely a special teams game from a scoring standpoint (still shaking my head at the flyers mental breakdown on the first goal). 5 on 5 i thought we looked okay. we shut down a sabres team that clearly isn't all that good.

good game for rinaldo. several huge open ice hits that really got the crowd and team going.

good movement by the first line as well though giroux was definitely getting a little too cute on the powerplays.

gagne-coots-read continues to look better as well.

now let's beat a team that doesn't suck.

G Money

Oct 15, 2011
Sudbury
It was a bad game for Miller. It happens. However, it has been happening a lot more often to Bryzgalov, which is the problem. Your sarcasm is cute, but misplaced, and once again missed the bigger issues.

Miller: .914%
Bryz: .899%

At the end of the day, Miller has stopped more pucks on a team that is worse offensively and defensively than the Flyers. Last night was an exception for him, though seems to be part of a larger trend where he struggles against Philadelphia.

Edit: He has a .852% against the Flyers in his last six starts, and is posting something like .915% overall in that time span going back to last year. Lundvist stands on his head whenever he plays Philly, and Miller craps himself.

Edit 2: Wow, Miller almost matched Bryz statistically in a game where Bryz got the win. That's discouraging. .893% compared to .900. He would have matched him if he'd faced two more shots.

but does miller face 5 odd man rushes or 2 breakaways every game ? cuz i know bryz does way too often

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
but does miller face 5 odd man rushes or 2 breakaways every game ? cuz i know bryz does way too often

Yeah, he does. He was tested harder than Bryzgalov last night, that's for sure. The Sabres are a bigger mess than Philly right now, at both ends of the ice.

WeekendAtBernies

Jun 27, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
exactly, this was the quintessential TEAM performance:
some great, some good, some ok, some poor

if some want to focus only on Bryz, so be it.

It's not about 1 game from Bryzgalov. It's not about a hot/cold streak of 5 games, it's not about a good/bad week or month, it's about the OVERALL BODY OF HIS PLAY.

Bryzgalov: .899 save %
Miller: .914 save %

Miller has bad games, yes. He has far fewer than Bryzgalov though and in general does a better job of keeping pucks out of the net and hence of giving his team a chance to win.

It's about his terrible overall effort. .899 doesn't cut the mustard.

Last edited by a moderator:

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad