GDT: Game 27: Coyotes @ Oilers - 7PM - FSAZ+

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
Need to score more than 2 a game though. Last 6 games were 3, 4, 1,3,2, and 2 tonight.

But against Toronto 2 of those were empty netters. And in the Ottawa and LA games those were in 3 on 3 situations in OT. Haven't scored more than 2 goals in normal hockey since the Montreal game.

Benching a player like Duclair should fix that problem as well

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Blamed the loss against Vegas on OEL for turning the entire game around and gifting it to Vegas. Blaming today's loss on Stepan for the same reason, with the added bonus of looking like he doesn't give a f*** out there. I thought he was turning a corner, but what a completely shitty effort from somebody who's meant to be a leader.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Stepan has been almost entirely lackadaisical and nonchalant on the ice this season. He looks a lot like a lazy player a lot of the time. Generally listless and disinterested. Put a microphone in front of him and he'll say all the right words. On the ice, different story. Such a complete and total disappointment.

Reactions: CC96

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Stepan has been almost entirely lackadaisical and nonchalant on the ice this season. He looks a lot like a lazy player a lot of the time. Generally listless and disinterested. Put a microphone in front of him and he'll say all the right words. On the ice, different story. Such a complete and total disappointment.

Probably should have traded for someone like RNH instead of a guy that was already coasting a bit in NY of all places.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
The Duclair thing is outrageous. Absolutley galling. Just what in the **** is going on with him and his coaching staffs (plural for emphasis)? There is nothing demonstrated by him in games that is visible to fans that could possibly justify his utterly inequitable treatment.

I am the biggest Duclair fan here, and I just don't talk about it anymore for fear of sounding like a broken record. It makes me feel bad for him. Honestly I hope he gets traded or something so he can be treated fairly.

gorsk11

Logan Cooley for the win.
Jun 25, 2008
AZ
I don't understand the Duclair move, Funny not one word that I can remember in the broadcast about Duclair being scratched from Nash.
I don't even think Nash knows at this point. Because he was pointing out how good Duclair has looked. Why take out someone who can actually score. I am tired of seeing Cousins out there. He took a penalty and we were lucky they evened it up. He had no shots in 7 minutes. At least Kempe is down and can't get back in there.

I don't understand Reider on the top line. He is not a top six guy. Strome looked very mediocre. Not bad but not great.
I about spit up when Todd Walsh - stated - clearly you can see Strome and Richardson starting to get some chemistry - when Strome centered a pass thru the front of the net area..... Like wow - can you force feed us Strome any more in the broadcast.

Two cross bars in OT. Domi can't buy a goal. Thought we deserved a win especially in how we somewhat stopped McDavid.
Wedge played well again. Fisher is a beast. Can't wait until we can get KConn out of the lineup.

We just can't catch a break - we can't keep Raanta and Hammer healthy. I think the two most important players for us to be successful. Good thing we picked up Wedge.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
The Duclair thing is outrageous. Absolutley galling. Just what in the **** is going on with him and his coaching staffs (plural for emphasis)? There is nothing demonstrated by him in games that is visible to fans that could possibly justify his utterly inequitable treatment.
He's far lazier than Stephan.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
There's gotta be something behind it, I'd just love to know what. Gotta be attitude I guess, because if it's effort level, defensive play, or turnovers we have other players who are worse (like Stepan, in all 3 categories).

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
He's far lazier than Stephan.

Stepan has really picked up his game, and I thought Duclair did as well, but who do you sit. As much as I don't care for Rinaldo and Cousins on this team they have played really well. I guess it comes down to consistent effort away from the puck and Duke lacks that more than the other forwards.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Stepan, Domi, Rieder are all way under their average level of play and it's killing this team.

I think all three are giving that second and third effort and I don't see them hurting the team with their play at the moment. Earlier in the year yes, but not now.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I keep following our PK improvement. Since we dumped Domingue, we're now 2nd in the NHL at 87.2%. Sharks are the only team ahead of us, at 88.2%.

Under Domingue, the PK was dead last. 69.0%.

Edit: If you look at it for just November (the above stretch starts from Oct. 30), we're 1st with 88.9. SJ falls to 2nd at 88.2.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
There's gotta be something behind it, I'd just love to know what. Gotta be attitude I guess, because if it's effort level, defensive play, or turnovers we have other players who are worse (like Stepan, in all 3 categories).

What is behind it is Duke's game away from the puck. His effort has been much better of late, but so have the other forwards. Who do you sit? Points are only one dimension of a player the coaches look at when deciding who sits. With Keller sliding over to RW last night I was not surprised Duke sat.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

Who would you have sat late night?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This was a winnable game. I don't know about the coaching, particularly late, but we had two posts in overtime. That pass from the Edmonton corner by Stepan was brainless and cost us dearly. Man should be benched for a game. Clearly, if Strome plays a top 6 LW needs to sit or a RW sits with a LW moving over. Next game I would like to see Strome and Duclair both in the game with Stepan sitting. I know that our chances of winning go way down without Stepan, but he needs to sit a game due to this and other boneheaded plays.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad