GDT: Game 27: Columbus vs. Philadelphia | 12/9 7PM EST

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Umberger was barely noticeable tonight. He's not looked good all year.
RJ just keeps heading down the hill... This hasnt surprised me one bit. Hartnell might cost more money and for longer, but at least he's at least somewhat useful. I would say more, but I don't want to piss off the RJ apologists. :sarcasm:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Not crazy about the Jackets giving Philly 4 power plays but a W is a W..

MUST keep this steak going Thursday - a win at Washington would definitely propel the momentum train very far heading into the game against the Pens on Saturday. If we start off the game the same way we did when we visited them in November it could be a long night.

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
Only got to listen to the game due to work, and check out highlights. A few of the things that are going through my mind...

-- Very happy with Connauton's play so far so I'm pumped he got the gwg. Mase was staight up victimized on that.

Sounds like he's just been solid on the ice, and Richards seems to trust him already, not to mention seems to be well liked in the room already. Its hard to believe he's peaked at only 24. This dude has some real offensive upside IMO, I wonder why he hasnt caught on in the NHL yet. Had 72 pts as a defenseman in Juniors ( I know...) and was an AHL All-star in 2012. Could be an absolute steal from the waiver heap.

-- At least watching the game you could probably physically see Umberger at times. But man, it was like he didn't exist on the radio. I'm sure I did, but I cannot remember hearing his name once. He's one of many whipping boys on the Philly boards. Have a feeling they'll do the buyout I thought he'd receive here eventually.

-- Glad to see Hartnell get one against his old pals. Hopefully it gets him going.

-- This is such a better team with Boone and Dubi in the line-up. Their impact on attitude/effort alone I think will be enough to save this season.

-- These are the kind of wins that build a winning attitude. I'm sure our winning streak won't last the length of record losing streak, but if we can rattle off a few 4-5 game win streaks without any more major droughts, we aren't in bad shape.

--Did Tropp or Boll play well enough to keep Kerby out of the lineup on Thursday? With him and Chaput, they at least give the 4th line a bit of offensive ability while still being able to be physical.

-- I'm believing again bc the team is doing the same. This win had the same feeling that some of the games last year had. They're getting that confidence back. Its rubbing off on everyone. (except Gibbons :sarcasm:)

Went way longer than I expected... but whatever. At least I'm excited for the Pens game Saturday. Dubi's back just in time to welcome Sid back to NWA.

Last edited:

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I enjoyed the game thoroughly. I thought the effort was there although the Jackets played hot potato with the puck the last five minutes of the 3rd period.

I was amazed when I checked the stat sheet and saw that both Umberger and Hartnell played 15 minutes and change. I honestly thought Umberger was benched or injured. I didn't recall seeing him on the ice in the last period. And I think that I looked for him. He's like Dancing Kevin. They're both abominations to look at but they're like car wrecks-you just gotta look at them.

Umgarbage is on pace for 12 points this season. 2 goals and 2 assists in 27 games. He's not even an NHL caliber player. I'm guessing that the Flyers have written this season off and will bury him in the AHL next season (saving $900,000 in cap space) and will buy him out with a year remaining on his contract. Flyers GM Ron Hextall should be on every CBJ fan's Xmas list.

If Connauton hadn't scored the OT goal, then I would have been all over Johansen for passing to a scoreless dman instead of taking the shot himself. He messed up a previous 2 on 1 with a poorly conceived pass. Overall, I thought he played fine.

The Flyers secondary players rival ours for ineffectivness. And that is saying something. There are some bad players on that team. Speaking of bad, the CBJ bottom six abortions just get worse. Gibbons gets pick pocketed on a flipping breakaway:shakehead. Tropp takes a stupid penalty which leads to a Philly PP goal. Gibbons(17), Wennberg(21), Boll(27), Cracknell(14), Tropp(15) and Chapoo(23) have played in a combined 117 games. In that almost season and one half of games played, they have ZERO goals among them. Connauton and Leopold have 2 goals between them in their 19 combined games played.

4 in a row is nothing to sneeze at. A win against Washington on the road could be a definitive sign that the Good Ship Bluejackets has righted itself.

Last edited:

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
The Flyers secondary players rival ours for ineffectivness. And that is saying something. There are some bad players on that team. Speaking of bad, the CBJ bottom six abortions just get worse. Gibbons gets pick pocketed on a flipping breakaway:shakehead.

4 in a row is nothing to sneeze at. A win against Washington on the road could be a definitive sign that the Good Ship Bluejackets has righted itself.

Feel like Gibbons getting pick-pocketed has happened a lot recently. He brings energy but, I think it might be time for him to head to Springfield for awhile.

A win at Washington would have me giddy.. not that I don't believe we'll make the playoffs but, it just seems like the perfect statement win we need to show that this isn't some kind of fluke.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I really don't care all that much what we do the rest of the season, to be honest. Such a big hole.. If we manage to squeak into that #3 slot in the Metro, that will be a miracle within itself. Any other division and we were pretty much done.

I'm glad we're playing better, but can we ever have a good start? I am so tired of watching us chase in the standings.

Wendy Clear

Generic Statement of Happiness
Jun 20, 2010
Europe. Somewhere.
What a weird stance to take. Completely gut every team and 25+ of them tank it as well. If they make up for it then great. I'd rather start poorly and finish strong than overachieve early and tank it like at least a couple teams are gonna do this year. At least we as fans aren't watching a mirage that's gonna slowly bleed away all year.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
dunno but he essentially set up that Hartnell goal and clearly set up that Cotton game winner so I had no problem with his game tonight

Huh? The puck was flailing around and Hartnell threw in a blind backhand. Great individual play by Hartsy but to say Joey set it up is a bit of a stretch.

Agree that he made a good play on the game winner.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
CBJ pileup after the win was glorious. Bob skated the length of the ice to join the celly even! That threw off the hug, of course, but in the end tradition won out. I love seeing emotion from this team.

I know I'm partial, but Jake is a beast. He's the only former CBJ who I really wish was back in Union Blue.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Joey has been floating a lot the past couple of games. Also, passing instead of taking the shot. What's going on there?

Several of his passes were well-intended but weak, resulting in turnovers. He just didn't seem really on, last night.

Did Leo take the night off? A couple Flyers posters mentioned that our anthem singer was awful.

Same with Leo, not one of his stronger performances. Still better than most!

That was a fun game to be at.

Until the last minute of regulation. Pissed me off enough to walk out! We heard the cannon as we hit the parking garage. Which made the ride home less annoying for my wife, that's for sure, I'm not much fun after a loss!

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Leo has been battling a cold, I thought I heard.

Joey played damn near 23 minutes. I saw him more physically engaged on the forecheck for much of the night, but 23 minutes at the pivot...that's a lot. HCTR needs to stop playing his top 5 forwards 19-20+ minutes and roll 4 lines. He said he liked his 4th line in TB which is why he didn't slot Rychel down there...yet those guys played 5 minutes. Come on, coach.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I really don't care all that much what we do the rest of the season, to be honest. Such a big hole.. If we manage to squeak into that #3 slot in the Metro, that will be a miracle within itself. Any other division and we were pretty much done.

I'm glad we're playing better, but can we ever have a good start? I am so tired of watching us chase in the standings.

It's like this team didn't have 10 regulars out or anything. :sarcasm:

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Leo has been battling a cold, I thought I heard.

Joey played damn near 23 minutes. I saw him more physically engaged on the forecheck for much of the night, but 23 minutes at the pivot...that's a lot. HCTR needs to stop playing his top 5 forwards 19-20+ minutes and roll 4 lines. He said he liked his 4th line in TB which is why he didn't slot Rychel down there...yet those guys played 5 minutes. Come on, coach.

With Rychel sent down, need a jolt on the 4th line. Agree with Rychel move only because of 10-game contract slide. Prefer him over Boll, Tropp, Cracknell, but long-term development not well-served with 5 minutes on 4th line here.
Need Letestu, but a long way away. Maybe when Tyutin gets back we trade D-man for quality 3rd/4th line depth. Not advocating who, no love/hate toward current tradeable D, but with Golu on rehab assignment, he will be available soon. Like Leopold and Cotton thus far. Seems like one of Erixon/Prout/Golu is the odd man out, but not sure what we could get in return. Trade seems inevitable because of number of D and not enough 2-way contracts. Will be interesting, especially if W-streak continues. Not convinced season salvagable, but fun/interesting to watch again.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I have not read this whole thread so I do not know if anyone else has mentioned it, but it was an historic moment last nite when we got to see the most chicken**** play in CBJ history. At about the 16 minute mark of the second period, Joey is standing with the puck, alone and unguarded five feet from Steve Friggin Mason and rather than taking the shot against Mason he passed it back to a teammate who was covered by at least two Flyers, the puck was taken away and we never got a shot off. So Mr. First Line Center lacked the guts to take a shot against Steve Mason when he was unguarded and had Mason dead to rights. It was a magical moment.

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio

I understand where you are coming from, and I assume you don't mean to hang this one on the team/organization as the primary driver here was mass injuries at all positions. It is what it is, yet another poor start to the season, that we have to endure, then watch the team take on a seemingly impossible task of climbing back on to the playoff bubble.

Good win, nice little 4 game streak they having going now. I like watching the CBJ, and I love watching the CBJ win, so keep it up and I'll enjoy it for what it is, good hockey.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Did Leo take the night off? A couple Flyers posters mentioned that our anthem singer was awful.

With the amount of bad lounge singer anthem singers in the league they obviously don't have good taste when you think a classically trained opera singer is awful.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Flyers fans have good enough taste to hate Pittsburgh and everything about it, so they're all right in my book.

I "strongly dislike" both the Steelers and Pens, but, having grown up not far from Pittsburgh, I think it's a hidden gem of a city. The entry into the city, by car and from the west, is one of America's most spectacular vistas and, now that the mills are gone from downtown, it is really a very beautiful place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad