Post-Game Talk: GAME #27: Canucks 1 vs. Kings 2 (OT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Problem is, even though the Kings dominated the first possession, our guys were covering their man for the most part. On the goal Boeser doesn't even try to cover Brown.

Reactions: Bertuzzzi44

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Does any team in the league have a worse collection of small, weak forwards than the Canucks?...Kings just kept most of this game along the wall and the Canucks couldn't win a board battle to save their souls.

At least Benning was in the audience to watch a couple of his prized UFA signings Eriksson and Roussel. Eriksson used to be a goalscorer at one time in his career. But he looks now more like the fourth-line plugger that he's morphed into. And to think that both guys still have four years left on their contracts. It's ugly!

Reactions: geebaan

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Boeser should be bag skates for giving up on the play like that.

Also AQ just showed how much of a fanboy he is. He’s completely on board the compete now bus that’s head for a fourth straight cliff

Reactions: mossey3535

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
What a boring game. Team looked more structured with the two worst defenders finally out but not much happening at all offensively.

- surprised at the praise for Boeser. Thought he looked just as slow and awful as earlier in the season. First game back so that's fine, but no point sugarcoating it. Awful effort on winning goal. Whole line didn't have a very good night. Goldobin's worst game in the past 4 or 5.

- Horvat the best forward and his was really the only line going. Roussel had one of his better games and skated well and Gagner did a few nice things with the puck.

- Granlund line was mostly a mess until the late goal. Granlund was OK, but Virtanen didn't move his feet well and Eriksson continues to be a trainwreck skating in molasses.

- Willie gives a nod of approval to Travis Green for building on the confidence generated by Gaudette's first NHL goal with 3:52 of icetime tonight.

- Biega excellent as usual. And such a spark for the team. Had a stretch of 3-4 shifts in the 2nd where he was probably pushing to the ice too hard trying to make things happen but otherwise was outstanding. Should have had 2 assists if not for Eriksson's pathetic finish. Massive upgrade on Gudbranson.

- Edler also a tower of strength tonight. Makes a huge difference. Except on the PP, where he still sucks.

- Tanev isn't skating at his best right now and his 'maintenance day' last week indicates an injury but is still gutting it out solidly. Del Zotto is playing well right now.

- Hutton got caught once in the first but was otherwise pretty flawless. Should still be on top PP. Stecher made a few mistakes but skated well.

- Markstrom was very solid. Made a couple key stops in the 3rd to give the team a chance to get a point.

- shocking that Gudbranson is hurt yet again. Don't rush back, you useless sack of crap.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I thought we were the more skilled team but couldn’t convert on some grade A chances. The Kings are a heavy team and won most of the board battles.

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Terrible, slug fest of a hockey game. "Playoff hockey" my ass...

Boeser was absolutely terrible tonight, absolutely zero compete level. I'm almost inclined to give a guy like Leipsic a shot on the top line with Boeser and Pettersson at this point, a guy that can go in the corner and muck it up, I feel like there might be too much skill there and with the way Boeser has played this year they need a winger on that line that can retrieve the puck along the boards.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Terrible, slug fest of a hockey game. "Playoff hockey" my ass...

Boeser was absolutely terrible tonight, absolutely zero compete level. I'm almost inclined to give a guy like Leipsic a shot on the top line with Boeser and Pettersson at this point, a guy that can go in the corner and muck it up, I feel like there might be too much skill there and with the way Boeser has played this year they need a winger on that line that can retrieve the puck along the boards.

Leipsic doesn't really "muck it up", half the time he is just floating around, it looks impressive but he's only slightly better than Granlund about going into traffic.

I know Roussel skated well this game but I still think he's screwing up a huge oppportunity on Bo's line.

Big problem with this team is wingers with various levels of skill and willingness to battle on the boards. Even those who I think have the right combo (Jakey) are wildly inconsistent.

We have no Hansen or Burrows on this team, no puck retrievers. ROussel should fit here theoretically but again he's had lots of opportunity in prime icetime.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Leipsic doesn't really "muck it up", half the time he is just floating around, it looks impressive but he's only slightly better than Granlund about going into traffic.

I know Roussel skated well this game but I still think he's screwing up a huge oppportunity on Bo's line.

Big problem with this team is wingers with various levels of skill and willingness to battle on the boards. Even those who I think have the right combo (Jakey) are wildly inconsistent.

We have no Hansen or Burrows on this team, no puck retrievers. ROussel should fit here theoretically but again he's had lots of opportunity in prime icetime.

What fourth line grinder can we over pay this year to a 4 year contract that can retrieve pucks?

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
What fourth line grinder can we over pay this year to a 4 year contract that can retrieve pucks?

If we hadn't overpaid it wouldn't be as disappointing. Because we overpaid, the fact that we have none looks even worse. I mean, I'm not sure Roussel has a higher ceiling than this and he's been on the top line for awhile now. It's pretty shameful really.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Most noticeable thing to me is how awful Kopitar is. Unbelievable amounMost nt of turnovers and then turnaways when he lost the puck. LA is bad - really a toilet bowl game. I guess give the team some credit for dominating the third and pushing it into OT but overall only thing good about this game was the goaltending.

Good

Markstrom - Peterson was probably better but without Markstrom holding the team in, the Canucks don't get a point out of this one.

Edler - moved the puck smoothly all game and had great coverage. His smoothness contrasts directly with the herky-jerky way the rest of the defense handles puck movement and coverage. Lot of the Canuck's defense is all hustle and work and not enough skill

Goldobin - thought he was strong in the third. Looked most likely to score and worked the boards pretty well. Amazing the difference to last year when I never saw him win a puck battle. Not sure Goldobin should be moved off the PP for Boeser. I know the Canucks rightfully want to have Boeser eventually there but right now Goldobin seems the better choice. Maybe Boeser could replace Gagner in the slot

Horvat - worked hard in the trenches and headed up some shifts in the third that created momentum. Has to totally carry his line.

Not So Good

Gaudette - didn't see much ice after not picking his check on the opening goal. Rookie mistake there. Might be time to put Gaudette back to Utica.

Leipcis - on his own island in this game and got nothing positive done

Boeser - got to cut him some slack but he went to sleep in OT and looked very rusty throughout. Not in sync with linemates and started trying to do it on his own. You wonder where this season, to date, leaves Boeser's contract status.

Eriksson - stick work is getting as bad as his skating. Can he still take a pass or shoot the puck when skating?????

Others

Biega - had some real trouble with turnovers and penalties but also provided some decent push from the back which is so rarely seen on this team

Stecher - player works his butt off but I question what he is getting done. Very scrambly player that does every thing at a fever pitch. But he can't produce points and most often not even chances. With everyone available is he in your top 6???

Tanev - not moving as well as earlier. When healthy he is closing on people faster, rushing the puck out of his zone, etc. Trouble with Tanev is that he always get physically beat up, then slows, and then becomes even more vulnerable to getting more physically beat up.

At the moment seems like us and LA may be a legit struggle for position in the lottery. They are every bit as bad as us.

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
I guess if Travis Green had somebody else to play on the top line (or whatever line they are) besides Goldobin, he would do it. It's a sad testament to our lack of depth that we have to watch a complete floater like Goldobin game after game. He looks like he's not even trying. Taking the puck away from him along the boards is laughably easy. Let's keep losing I guess and hopefully rack up an elite winger in the next draft.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014

"Luckily no one's running away with our division, a win or two puts us right back in the thick of things."

And there you have it. This team is never going to tank as long as FA owns it. In my view playing at .500 in a weak division is not "in the thick of things".... it is at best a 4 game spanking in the playoffs from a real team.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
"Luckily no one's running away with our division, a win or two puts us right back in the thick of things."

And there you have it. This team is never going to tank as long as FA owns it. In my view playing at .500 in a weak division is not "in the thick of things".... it is at best a 4 game spanking in the playoffs from a real team.

oh my lanta

thought that was a satire account until the blue checkmark

lmao we are f***ed

keslerburrows

Mar 9, 2011
Vernon, Canada
What do you honestly expect the owner to say, on twitter?! Critique the actions of the team all you want, but do you really expect him to tweet, "Screw losers points, tanking is impossible in this f*cking league".

And I understand that the actions of team, coupled with these comments is what is most infuriating. But come on, it's a tweet directed mostly to the fair weather fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad