GDT: Game 26: Ducks at Yotes - 7:30 - FS-A PLUS, KCOP-13

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I am glad we won but thought we were outplayed overall, also thought we had more scoring chances, so kind of mixed. 100 point pace, have to like that regardless.

Hammer coming back will be huge for this team. It will make the third pairing less scary because we will have 1 good D on that pairing. Our top 4d have been solid except for OEL. I think Bush or Osterle turned the puck over on one goal, and the other 2 were on OEL, one of those was Kuemper short side, he should have stopped it, but OEL didn't pressure the guy either. OEL is making mental mistakes and physically he falls down every game. I don't know what is up with him, but something is off.

Kessel/Keller had more chances last night, which is good but I don't like them on the same line. Neither can forecheck effectively, so if they aren't on the rush, they aren't effective, neither is even average on D either. Maybe when Crouse is back Tocc can switch up the lines.

Grabs/Richie/Garland/Schmaltz/Stepan/DVO/Hino/fischer are hard on the puck, they win some battles in corners and are all solid on D. Kessel/keller don't it seems to me anyway. I'm mixed on Hayton, finding his way, I don't think he hurts us even though he took that penalty last night. When Crouse comes back he most likely sits.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It's not man to man. OEL needs to abandon his guy as soon as the shot is clearly not going anywhere near him, and try to at least contest the rebound. Lindholm saved a goal earlier doing that exact thing.
How does OEL know where the rebound is going? If he would have abandon his guy like you said, and the rebound went to that player and hr scored, you would have asked why OEL left his man.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Jesus, guys. Third goal: OEL forced his guy wide, and he scored from outside the dot. Not his fault. Second goal: Demers didn't cover his side, and OEL did his job. I know he's not playing well, but you're just scapegoating him at every opportunity.
Exactly. Kuemper is slowly returning to his play of early last year. He has to refocus. He was money in the shoot out however.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Its no secret that the Coyotes have one of the toughest schedules in November. I'm not making excuses for them but many hockey experts have commented on it. We have played 14 of 16 games in November. Won 8 of them, got points in 10. 8-4-2 in 14 games is pretty decent.

If we can finish out November with at least another 2-3 points that would be a win. We also have a top-4 defenseman out. Hjalmarsson coming back will help tremendously.

November will be a huge month to look back on. I know it's ugly guys but all things considered, I'm happy.
The first two weeks were tough, but the last two weeks they were basically in their own bed every night. Overall we are hanging in there, but still inconsistent. Like you said, Hammer will settle down our D. If we can get Kessel and Keller going and be consistent that would be a big boost.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
With last night's performance Dvorak moves into 2nd place on the team for goals. On pace for 25.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I am glad we won but thought we were outplayed overall, also thought we had more scoring chances, so kind of mixed. 100 point pace, have to like that regardless.

Hammer coming back will be huge for this team. It will make the third pairing less scary because we will have 1 good D on that pairing. Our top 4d have been solid except for OEL. I think Bush or Osterle turned the puck over on one goal, and the other 2 were on OEL, one of those was Kuemper short side, he should have stopped it, but OEL didn't pressure the guy either. OEL is making mental mistakes and physically he falls down every game. I don't know what is up with him, but something is off.

Kessel/Keller had more chances last night, which is good but I don't like them on the same line. Neither can forecheck effectively, so if they aren't on the rush, they aren't effective, neither is even average on D either. Maybe when Crouse is back Tocc can switch up the lines.

Grabs/Richie/Garland/Schmaltz/Stepan/DVO/Hino/fischer are hard on the puck, they win some battles in corners and are all solid on D. Kessel/keller don't it seems to me anyway. I'm mixed on Hayton, finding his way, I don't think he hurts us even though he took that penalty last night. When Crouse comes back he most likely sits.
Oel can play better, we all know that, but those goals were not his fault. Kessel and Keller could have had three goals between them last night, that's a good sign, but I like you, don't like them on the same line. I'm mixed on Hayton as well.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
The first two weeks were tough, but the last two weeks they were basically in their own bed every night. Overall we are hanging in there, but still inconsistent. Like you said, Hammer will settle down our D. If we can get Kessel and Keller going and be consistent that would be a big boost.

Multiple back-to-back games without a chance to practice can be difficult even if you are at home. They weren't long home stretches by any means either, couple games at home couple games away. Multiple back-to-back occurrences and sometimes 3 or 4 games a week.

That's taxing.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
This is my philosophy on mixing in the younger players. If they can play, you play them in the top 9 (at least 12 min TOI/night), so they can grow. If the organization doesn't want to play them in the top 9 all the time...then he should be down. Kids don't like to be in the pressbox and they can toe the company line and say that it's good for them, but it isn't.

If they play him great, if not then send him down so he can get 25+ mins a night and get better at what he does best, scoring goals and creating plays.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Multiple back-to-back games without a chance to practice can be difficult even if you are at home. They weren't long home stretches by any means either, couple games at home couple games away. Multiple back-to-back occurrences and sometimes 3 or 4 games a week.

That's taxing.
I agree. The worst part is probably not having enough practice time.

Reactions: RABBIT

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
To be honest, isnt this what people wanted though? Weren't there multiple posts at the end of Tippett's tenure regarding how you would rather watch a 4-3 or 6-5 loss with tons of action than a 2-1 win?

Some wins have to happen the stupid way and we are pulling that off. Imagine what can be when we get back to playing smarter and better hockey...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Im not going to explain myself again. Read the thread.
That play all started when Demers tried, and failed that poke check, so OEL had to cover up and race across ice to the boards against a Duck player. Demers, like a dummy, followed OEL and the Duck player to the boards. When OEL made that pass, he thought Demers would be in the vicinity, but Demers was standing behind OEL like a fool, with Schmaltz, three Coyote players. OEL made that pass he thought Demers would be in the vicinity not standing behind him watching. Then the forwards decided to go on vacation, Demers had a chance to pin the puck carrier behind the net, but instead let him go by and then decided to follow him. Kessel was Kessel. Kuemper couldn't handle the rebound and there wasn't a Coyote in sight to clear the rebound. The ONLY player who had his man was OEL. Like you said, all OEL's fault.:sarcasm:

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
Its no secret that the Coyotes have one of the toughest schedules in November. I'm not making excuses for them but many hockey experts have commented on it. We have played 14 of 16 games in November. Won 8 of them, got points in 10. 8-4-2 in 14 games is pretty decent.

If we can finish out November with at least another 2-3 points that would be a win. We also have a top-4 defenseman out. Hjalmarsson coming back will help tremendously.

November will be a huge month to look back on. I know it's ugly guys but all things considered, I'm happy.

Agreed. This 8 game swing that we have had has been very important in terms of creating even some separation in the Pacific.

I thought I would be thrilled if we could get 11 points out of it. Anything above is icing on the cake. We are at 4-1-1 for 9 points. The Sharks are turning it around a little and Vegas is Vegas. Two points in these two games will mean a lot.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
Beating the Knights tomorrow would go a really long way in creating that separation. Putting down a team who hasn't played very well in their last 10, they've been 3-6-1 to our 6-3-1.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
When OEL made that pass, he thought Demers would be in the vicinity

My point exactly, he thought. He had ample time to actually look, which he didn’t and in turn gave the puck as a gift to a ducks player.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
That play all started when Demers tried, and failed that poke check, so OEL had to cover up and race across ice to the boards against a Duck player. Demers, like a dummy, followed OEL and the Duck player to the boards. When OEL made that pass, he thought Demers would be in the vicinity, but Demers was standing behind OEL like a fool, with Schmaltz, three Coyote players. OEL made that pass he thought Demers would be in the vicinity not standing behind him watching. Then the forwards decided to go on vacation, Demers had a chance to pin the puck carrier behind the net, but instead let him go by and then decided to follow him. Kessel was Kessel. Kuemper couldn't handle the rebound and there wasn't a Coyote in sight to clear the rebound. The ONLY player who had his man was OEL. Like you said, all OEL's fault.:sarcasm:
Like a plane crash, not one thing, but OEL can't make that blind pass in that area. The Kuemper short side goal was Kuempers fault he has to stop that 4/5 times but OEL laid off the guy, didn't get a stick in his lane, gave him a clear shot. Its the little things, little mistakes for OEL lately. Its not all OEL's fault per say but expectations for him are higher than any other D man. I hope he has been hurt or just off mentally, I know he can play better.

Reactions: Fuhrious

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
I'm not speaking from experience, but from observation it appears that good defense is much more mental than good offense.

High scoring players have great skill (physical ability). Top defensemen move the puck to the right spot consistently (mental game, also referred to as hockey IQ).

Reactions: cobra427

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I agree that OEL and Kessel have been bad. Its still early on so I'm not writing them off, every player has slumps, even an off year. If it's still this say around March then we should be worried.
The difference is OEL can help us on D even if he isn't scoring. Kessel doesn't help us if he isn't scoring, poor D player, poor forechecker. 1 goal 1/3 of the way through the season at even strength is not acceptable for a PPG player last year. I hope he has been hurt or not the right line combo for him to get going. Its looking like he was benefiting from the talent in Pitt or not going against the other teams top lines, which is what he and Keller are drawing in AZ.

Kessel has been consistent his entire career, he can still skate and has stick skills, hope its just an adjustment/slow start but by the all star break, he needs be going by then.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
If Kessel is hurt then rest him. Even if it takes a month. The team will be fine. It's still only November and we have the 6th best point percentage.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If Kessel is hurt then rest him. Even if it takes a month. The team will be fine. It's still only November and we have the 6th best point percentage.

Whole reason he is playing is because he wants to keep his ironman streak alive.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad