GDT: Game 25: Red Wings vs sharks 7:00 pm et 12/7/23 (ESPN+, BSD)

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I guess I'm just saying coaching can point out these problems but ultimately it's the players on the ice that have to make the decision.

Walman needs better situational awareness and decision making on that play. He's on his backhand trying to hold the puck in with three Sharks at the blueline. The Wings have just given up three quick goals and it's almost the end of the period. He needs to be in retreat mode.

Admittedly the play could still end up ok if Kostin doesn't float there, Holl plays the 2-on-1 correctly and sticks with the pass, and Husso can stop a puck. Walman is coasting a bit at the end too which makes me wonder if it was the end of the shift. Which is another reason why he should've been backing up.

So it's bad decision by Walman. Bad effort by Kostin. Bad decisions/effort by Holl. Then Husso gonna Husso.
Absolutely correct. Players execute, make decisions and exert effort within a system. Regardless of the system (i.e. "coaching") if you do not make the correct decision or exert enough effort, the system will break down to a certain degree. I honestly have no idea where this idea came from that players always do what they are told in all situations.

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
When we have a game like that I try to restrain from saying anything here for a day. That way I won’t say something really stupid that I will regret. Sooo… it’s been 24 hours…. Phk it I better wait another day

Sentinel

May 26, 2009
New Jersey
www.vvinenglish.com
Absolutely correct. Players execute, make decisions and exert effort within a system. Regardless of the system (i.e. "coaching") if you do not make the correct decision or exert enough effort, the system will break down to a certain degree. I honestly have no idea where this idea came from that players always do what they are told in all situations.
It's not like coaches can call timeout, change goalies, and defense pairings or anything. They are paid to stand behind the bench and look clueless.

Reactions: aar000n

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
It's not like coaches can call timeout, change goalies, and defense pairings or anything. They are paid to stand behind the bench and look clueless.
Agreed. In any given game, it's on the players to get it done. But if there's a pattern of failing to do so - or even just a series of events where things start to spiral - it's the responsibility of the coaches to settle things down and course correct.

Reactions: Sentinel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad