GDT: Game 25 Bruins @ Detroit 11/27/13 7:30PM NBCSN, NESN

remer

Oct 18, 2005
It's one game guys. Everyone should relax. No need to panic.

True that there is no need to panic, but reality is that a team like Detroit can expose the Bruin's weaknesses. The main one being "The lack of Speed".
Pittsburgh did the same.
If anything Chia and the Bruin brass should be concerned that the Bruins look very slow at times. Fast teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Toronto, etc., can give the Bruins fits at times.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
That was brutal to watch:(

Actually it was the first time I turned off the computer and went to sleep.

Maybe it's a good thing they took that beating, they have been playing like crap the last few games so it's time to wake up.
The regular season Bruins can be pretty nerve-racking with their schizophrenic way of playing, alterning great games to absolute horrible ones. Wish we already had April.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
True that there is no need to panic, but reality is that a team like Detroit can expose the Bruin's weaknesses. The main one being "The lack of Speed".
Pittsburgh did the same.
If anything Chia and the Bruin brass should be concerned that the Bruins look very slow at times. Fast teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh, San Jose, Toronto, etc., can give the Bruins fits at times.

True, but the Bruins have also proven that when they are playing their game they can be a difficult matchup for those teams.

bostone737

Jun 21, 2011
Toronto
The only silver lining is that there is now one less game vs. Detroit left to suffer through watching this year. The team is as dull as their uniforms.

If I never have to watch them again it will be too
soon.

they're dull because they beat the bruins at?

they almost everything you want and expect the bruins to do, but when they out hustle and carry play its boring.....

Ned Bouhalassa

Mar 2, 2008
Montreal
The only silver lining is that there is now one less game vs. Detroit left to suffer through watching this year. The team is as dull as their uniforms.

Couldn't disagree more about the Wings. I saw a very aggressive team, all over ours, flying and passing by us with their skill and determination. Nothing dull about that. Now on our end... yeah. Dull.

pgm16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2010
St. John's NL
If they don't compete, they are a below average team....but this should be a good wake-up call......wow 6- 1 !!!

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Turd of a game, but I LOVED seeing Marchand and Lucic on the same line. Never considered it before but it makes a ton of sense. Marchand needs a little space out there, Lucic needs a little spark out there. Put Krejci in the middle and Shazam they've got it all.

IMO give Bergeron the Sweeds and roll a third line of Spooner/Kelly between Iginla and Smith

Madturk

Oct 31, 2013
Florida
Been a B's fan since the Orr days. Been lurking here a while, seems like some real knowledgeable fans here.

Undoubtedly the worst performance of the season. The game reminded me of an exhibition game between the Red Army and a minor league club. Pretty brutal. 17 shots on goal ain't going to cut it and can't expect Raask to stand on his head every night.

Hopefully this is an anomaly and not a harbinger of things to come against the better skating clubs.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
It was only a matter of time before a blow out like this happened.

The Bruins have been barely squeaking by each game. They had no business even getting 1 point in the Pens game, let alone 2. I can probably count on 1 hand the number of games this season where they've really played a solid game.

Bottom line, certain players need to shape up or ship out. Players like Marchand need to either start getting on the score sheet or find a new team.

I'd say Marchand's been invisible, but that would be a lie. He's pretty noticeable on the ice, falling down every shift, trying to do too much and turning the puck over, taking stupid penalties, etc.

Defense has been pretty poor, especially as of late. Chara a -3 25 games into the season pretty much tells you how the defense has been.

The only bright spots on this team right now are Smith and Rask.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
It was only a matter of time before a blow out like this happened.

The Bruins have been barely squeaking by each game. They had no business even getting 1 point in the Pens game, let alone 2. I can probably count on 1 hand the number of games this season where they've really played a solid game.

Bottom line, certain players need to shape up or ship out. Players like Marchand need to either start getting on the score sheet or find a new team.

I'd say Marchand's been invisible, but that would be a lie. He's pretty noticeable on the ice, falling down every shift, trying to do too much and turning the puck over, taking stupid penalties, etc.

Defense has been pretty poor, especially as of late. Chara a -3 25 games into the season pretty much tells you how the defense has been.

The only bright spots on this team right now are Smith and Rask.

Really?

Krug? Soderberg? The play of the young #7 and #8 d-men with the injuries to Top 6 D? Even though he has not been great the last couple, Lucic?

They had a bad game, it happens. Hopefully they use it to get refocused. Posters here need to be more like players, even keel, don't get too high or too low.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Ship Marchand out to Dallas, he clearly misses his BFFE and his suck is spreading throughout the whole team.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Really?

Krug? Soderberg? The play of the young #7 and #8 d-men with the injuries to Top 6 D? Even though he has not been great the last couple, Lucic?

They had a bad game, it happens. Hopefully they use it to get refocused. Posters here need to be more like players, even keel, don't get too high or too low.

Soderbeg has been one of the most consistent if not the most consistent forward on the team, makes me wonder if Julien had played him more in the playoffs if we would have won. :(

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Ship Marchand out to Dallas, he clearly misses his BFFE and his suck is spreading throughout the whole team.

Yes, let's ship Marchand out while his value is at an all time low...

No thanks.

Soderbeg has been one of the most consistent if not the most consistent forward on the team, makes me wonder if Julien had played him more in the playoffs if we would have won. :(

As big a Soderberg fan as I am, he is a different guy this year than last. He needed the summer and camp to acclimate to the NHL game and I don't think he would have been a difference maker in the playoffs. I would have liked to have seen him over Dawg regardless.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Complete dud from start to finish. I`m gonna take the approach that this is/was just one of those games every team has a few times over the course of the season. I recall a game earlier in the season where the Sens walked into the Joe and hammered those Wings....onto the next one, no use whining about this one

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Really?

Left out Krug. My bad. Soderberg has been showing steady improvement as well, but I wouldn't say he's been amazing (just yet). While Hamilton and Bart have shown some offensive upside, they've made some huge defensive mistakes.

Can you honestly tell me that the Bruins have been playing well this season? Even if we pretend last game didn't happen, the Bruins have not been playing the way they should.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

I really wish people would stop saying this and using it as an excuse. Marchand's issues are between his ears. He's gotta figure out how to balance being a pest and being a top 6 forward.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Really?

Or blame the entire season, any setbacks, any players struggles solely on #23:sarcasm:

Geez....maybe Julien is the problem:)<<<<< remember those days?

panny2727

Oct 12, 2010
Complete dud from start to finish. I`m gonna take the approach that this is/was just one of those games every team has a few times over the course of the season. I recall a game earlier in the season where the Sens walked into the Joe and hammered those Wings....onto the next one, no use whining about this one

this is all that needs to be said....its a rare occurrence that this group loses by more than a goal or two, extremely rare...first time this year...rare...
they lost only two games last season by 3 goals...

and in fact haven't had really bad losses since

2011-2012
Sun, Mar 11 @
Pittsburgh
L
5-2
40-25-3 Thomas Krejci, G: 2, A: 0 36-32 0-2 3-4

Tue, Mar 13 @
Tampa Bay
L
6-1
40-26-3 Turco Chara, G: 0, A: 1 34-17 0-3 2-3

Thu, Mar 15 @
Florida
L
6-2
40-27-3 Thomas Rolston, G: 1, A: 1 26-29 1-2 2-3

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Been a B's fan since the Orr days. Been lurking here a while, seems like some real knowledgeable fans here.

Undoubtedly the worst performance of the season. The game reminded me of an exhibition game between the Red Army and a minor league club. Pretty brutal. 17 shots on goal ain't going to cut it and can't expect Raask to stand on his head every night.

Hopefully this is an anomaly and not a harbinger of things to come against the better skating clubs.

Welcome aboard !

I love the word swagger and didn't see any of it tonight.

I would guess we see a good game Friday. I hope I am right.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
they're dull because they beat the bruins at?

they almost everything you want and expect the bruins to do, but when they out hustle and carry play its boring.....

Yes, there is nothing more scintillating than understated, muted, efficiency.

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
I really wish people would stop saying this and using it as an excuse. Marchand's issues are between his ears. He's gotta figure out how to balance being a pest and being a top 6 forward.

If Marchand gives us half of what Kane did for Chicago we probably would have won it all.

It's not like Marchand has been struggling just this season, he was pretty bad for most of the playoffs (Chicago series he was brutal).

Taz#24

Feb 27, 2002
Washington DC
Visit site
$&^% happens!

Brutal game by all but that’s not my concern from a big picture perspective. Despite a decent record thus far, there's a couple of things that are very concerning to me;

1. Tuukka RASK has won at least 4 games on his own. If not for RASK our record is considerably degraded. The blow out last night really underlines that point. The rest of this team has been average at best thus far. They need to pick it up.

2. The KREJCI line has been typically invisible. For some reason Milan LUCIC looks disinterested and he’s not playing his game. Maybe he’s too focused on impressing the Team Canada brass. IGINLA has played well for the most part, just ins’t producing like he once did.

3. Ditto for the BERGERON line. The only difference is their defensive awareness, with the exception of MARCHAND who has his head up is a$$ and isn’t playing well on either side of the puck. For those who continue to defend him, good for you, that’s very loyal but we are at the quarter mark folks, he’s being paid 4.5 per, time to call it for what it is: pi$$ poor performance.

Claude has to make some changes at his level. Mix up the lines for a few games, not just a period when you are down 6-0.

Option #1
LUCIC-KREJCI-SMITH
SODERBERG-BERGERON-ERIKSSON
MARCHAND-KELLY-IGINLA
PAILLE-CAMPBELL-THORNTON

Option#2
ERIKSSON-KREJCI-IGINLA: ERIKSSON is more effective on LW
LUCIC-BERGERON-SMITH
SODERBERG-KELLY-MARCHAND: Maybe a stint on the off-wing will wake MARCHAND up.
PAILLE-CAMPBELL-THORNTON

If that doesn’t ignite anything, PC should be looking to make a deal. He has extra D-man to dangle with Dougie HAMILTON’s growth, Kevan MILLER proving he can play and with Joe MORROW apparently making a case in Providence. He has a still marketable chip in Jordan CARON and he has Brad MARCHAND and his 4.5 (which will be more and more difficult to deal for a good return as MARCHAND’s play continues to go south).

Whatever the bait, the target would be a top six winger.

Last edited:

Confound

Vindication
Oct 28, 2010
Maine
Blow all the lines up, mix and match and see what happens.

Lucic-Krejci-Eriksson
Soderberg-Bergeron-Iginla
Paille-Spooner-Smith
Marchand-Campbell-Kelly

Sit Marchand for a few games though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad