GDT: GAME 24 | Senators @ Blues | Kasty Goes West | Thu Dec 14 2023, 8PM | TSN5, RDS

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
He will say this and then say it’s roster construction. No what you’ve described is coaching.
Some. Its not just 1 thing. It could be a blend and maybe they work against each other.
There are a lot of issues .. going back to the rebuild, the rush to give up picks to get a roster not ready to compete over the top.
This certainly goes back a while. Its fixable but a few changes are required and there are a lot of factors that have to come together to be a team that can realistically compete with the top quarter of the league. Big challenge for the next GM. Expectations need a reset.

Reactions: LiseL

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Yeah guess the Oilers should have insisted on keeping coach Woodcroft and traded away every player instead. Not like they improved with the coaching change right?
We are at the bottom of the East: we don't need improvement; we need much more than that.

Also the Oilers have been way better than us for a while and their main issue is goaltending. Our main issue is we suck top to bottom.

L'Aveuglette

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Jan 8, 2007
Montreal
We are at the bottom of the East: we don't need improvement; we need much more than that.

Also the Oilers have been way better than us for a while and their main issue is goaltending. Our main issue is we suck top to bottom.

They were 3-9 before the coaching change and are now at .500. Even McDavid looked like shit under Woodcroft.

Come tf on with this BS. There's plenty of great players who have forgotten how to play hockey under DJ. It's only logical to fire DJ into the sun before assessing any further, but it seems like you're really eager to throw out the baby with the bath water.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
They were 3-9 before the coaching change and are now at .500. Even McDavid looked like shit under Woodcroft.

Come tf on with this BS. There's plenty of great players who have forgotten how to play hockey under DJ. It's only logical to fire DJ into the sun before assessing any further, but it seems like you're really eager to throw out the baby with the bath water.
They haven't forgotten, I just think we have a bad mix of good players.

Like I said, a better coach would improve things but I am skeptical by how much. I don't think we are a good coach away from making the playoffs.

That doesn't mean don't fire the coach. It means there are a lot of other things that need to be addressed and when everything and everyone needs to be evaluated, you don't fire the coach who is a deadman walking anyway.

What you do is bring in people like Alfie, Martin, an eventual new GM, to help you look at everything and come up with a plan moving forward.

I did not say people who want DJ fired now are idiots or anything. I just said I disagreed and gave reasons why I believe that.

Last edited:

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Dorion wanted a team that played fast straight line physical hockey. He hired DJ whose philosophy is just what Dorion wanted. Dorion then filled the roster with players who can’t play that way for more than a game or two.

Andlauer and Staios need to decide what organizational identity they want (they probably already know), hire a GM that believes in that identity and a coaching staff that coaches to that identity. Once those pieces are in place then the roster adjustments get made.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Some. Its not just 1 thing. It could be a blend and maybe they work against each other.
There are a lot of issues .. going back to the rebuild, the rush to give up picks to get a roster not ready to compete over the top.
This certainly goes back a while. Its fixable but a few changes are required and there are a lot of factors that have to come together to be a team that can realistically compete with the top quarter of the league. Big challenge for the next GM. Expectations need a reset.
I’m saying that one thing specified in the video you posted. Players trying to do everyone else’s job. Not doing their own. Not really even knowing what to do. That’s coaching Imo

What are you working off of to make such an assumption?

The only time this roster hasn't sucked is when the pressure is off. As soon as there is any pressure, they fall apart.
Because I look at the team. I look at other teams. This team should not be horrible. It shouldn’t be great. But it shouldn’t be horrible.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
This where I'm at.

This roster is not underachieving, it just isn't very good.

Once you accept that, keeping DJ as a deadman walking makes more sense.

No. We need to gut the roster and change the coach.

In order to do it right, there needs to be an honest assessment of what we have, who isn't worth keeping, who is, what needs to be added and who should be the GM and the coach based on all that.

You can’t have a proper assessment without seeing how the guys can play under a coach who isn’t completely incompetent.

They’ve only ever had that one voice. Fire him. You said yourself DJ is a dead man walking, if that’s the case, how can you trust your assessment of the players playing under him?

Let someone else try to fix these guys. If they still aren’t improving then make roster changes.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
You can’t have a proper assessment without seeing how the guys can play under a coach who isn’t completely incompetent.

They’ve only ever had that one voice. Fire him. You said yourself DJ is a dead man walking, if that’s the case, how can you trust your assessment of the players playing under him?

Let someone else try to fix these guys. If they still aren’t improving then make roster changes.
I agree with this. I mean. Get in a serious coach. If stutzle and tkatchuk and chabot and chychrun and whoever the f*** else still refuse to play the right way. Then I think we know what to do.

Reactions: Bileur

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Well no offense but I think expecting a new coach to turn this roster into winners is really dumb.
Did you say the same thing in 1996? Nothing more dumb than thinking you can evaluate this roster without a new coach. Especially for how young the core is. They are still developing, they need a new voice before they start making decisions on players. Its been a long time to get to the point where the players in the rebuild can contribute blowing it up before actually giving them a chance with the proper support would be idiotic.

Mookie McGee

Mar 4, 2020
The dead spots in this roster would likely plague any coach. Brann, JBD and Hamonic are all 6th defensemen filling out the 4-5-6 on a completely non-physical defense. A partial upgrade might come inserting Kleven in for one of them, but still overall not a group made to deal with pressure and physicality. They will still generally get exposed by top line players and top teams.

Forward defensive play might be addressable with a new coach, but the overall defensive attitude of many young players is what you might expect out of 100 point scorers, not guys who likely will get less and in some cases a lot less. Tarasenko's game is the model for the 65 point guys who still think they are too pretty to get their noses dirty. Will they do it with big money, long term contracts? Maybe, but you need tough love, and hard to do with few 200 foot players to replace them.

A new coach might tweak the line up moving Kubalik to the 2nd line as a guy who can play well complimenting skill, and making the 3rd line a plus with Joseph's speed.

Otherwise, the lineup doesn't match up with many other rosters, and you get outplayed and outshot early regardless of effort, and the results don't look as bad once the other team eases off the gas and glides in to victory.

Imagine next season if both Pinto and Formenton are back, Kubalik and a 4th liner are gone, and money is freed up for a quality 4th defenseman. Competition at forward will be there to be able to bench slackers, and at least a top 4 on d with nobody playing outside of their element, even with an injury back there.

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
Did Brady's Mother have her in person meeting yet, or is she accepting her 4 game suspension with no appeal?

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
I really don't get this idea that physicality is the main element that is missing from the team in order for them to succeed.

To me it's glaringly obvious that the players just don't know what their assignments are. They have no direction and any game plan they have once it's broken or deviated from due to oncoming pressure they fold like a tent because they have no competent fallback plan other than to collapse or bend over which they do more often than not. That also leads to the disgusting rim around the boards or icings.

The amount of times I see a player lay flat on their stomach to stop a puck down low just screams of last ditch effort to try to deter a scoring chance against. It's embarassing and looks completely amateur.

That 4th goal against vs the Blues was the embodiment of the DJ era system. Guys not knowing who to cover and caught puck watching. Is it all on DJ? Nope but the buck stops at him to try to cut that shit out and instill something so they don't or at least mitigate the amount of times they put themselves in that position.

His post game interviews are also one of the worst I've heard. He gives the most basic articulation of what went wrong during the game and its always the same things reiterated.

Im just tired of watching this dog shit year after year and I'm sure everyone else is. It's made for quite the toxic board over the years.

Reactions: Crosside

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Not necessarily true. If Andlauer/Staios want the kind of team I think they do then there are some personnel moves they can make. The new POHO had zero input into this roster so some tweaking prior to firing the coach could make sense.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Not necessarily true. If Andlauer/Staios want the kind of team I think they do then there are some personnel moves they can make. The new POHO had zero input into this roster so some tweaking prior to firing the coach could make sense.

Obviously it’s fine to move the peripheral pieces. The only real risk is moving core pieces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad