GDT: Game 24: Red Wings at sabres 7:30 pm et 12/5/23 (ESPN+, HULU)

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I wonder if Larkin realized he didn't have to gain the red to bury the empty netter? Scared me for a quick sec.

We will have to get used to this some, NHL game management officiating is rampant, when we jump out, it will be harder than normal to hold the lead. Look how many leads around the league got blown tonight.

This season feels like there’s a lot of f***ery by officials afoot. Like, you’re just about guaranteed a penalty right after your team scores a goal.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
I don't think the referees called any unnecessary penalties last night. It was the penalties they didn't call that were the problems, at least that's how I see it.

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Had a SOG parlay running last night. Larkin coming back like a warrior saved the night for me from a gambling perspective. $190 richer today. Thank you, D-Bo$$.

Larkin makes my wallet fatter and the Wings better. They looked a bit different last night when he was not on the bench.

Reactions: raymond23

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I don't think the referees called any unnecessary penalties last night. It was the penalties they didn't call that were the problems, at least that's how I see it.
Only call made I didn't like was Copp's stick check that never came close to touching hands. If tying up sticks is no longer allowed change the rule book and let everyone know.

Reactions: RRhoads

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
This flick is fantastic. RIP John Candy.
crazy. I loved john candy. then it transitioned to farley. then it transitioned to kevin james.

Think about this: if farley doesn't die, he would have been in Grown Ups and 50 first dates making the movies soo much better than they already are (mainly 50 first dates but thats neither here nor there).

Legends man

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Only call made I didn't like was Copp's stick check that never came close to touching hands. If tying up sticks is no longer allowed change the rule book and let everyone know.
I only saw the one replay but I really did think it was (barely) on the hands. To me.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Coach sucks. What the f*** was that 3rd period?

Prevent Defense. It's a terrible hockey strategy.

It is becoming extremely predictable at this point:

definitely seems like a high scoring affair like a 4-3 type with larkin getting the empty netter to make it 5-3 to stop buffalo's late push in the third

I only saw the one replay but I really did think it was (barely) on the hands. To me.
I didn't see it hit the hands at all. It hit like the middle of the stick and it was close so I can't fault the ref for calling that since it was pretty close, but still.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Admittedly I thought the sabres would be better than the wings by a lot this year. But it seems their coaching has done them in. Still I don’t want to get into talking about “rebuilds” because the wings still don’t have a rookie on the team for this year until edvinsson finally gets a spot he deserves.
Having a lot of rookies is easy. Being a good team is hard.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
I didn't see it hit the hands at all. It hit like the middle of the stick and it was close so I can't fault the ref for calling that since it was pretty close, but still.
The little goofy things like that don't bother me - I think those go both ways. What bothers me are the last 4 (5?) blatant stick-throws, cross-checks, boardings and chargings that have been "missed" to the detriment of the Wings (and player safety!).

I think we're "due" an incident where KK blatantly elbows a guy through the glass without getting called based on all that.

Which is a DUMB way to think. Which is why it's risky to let all that other stuff slide - it stacks up.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
The little goofy things like that don't bother me - I think those go both ways. What bothers me are the last 4 (5?) blatant stick-throws, cross-checks, boardings and chargings that have been "missed" to the detriment of the Wings (and player safety!).

I think we're "due" an incident where KK blatantly elbows a guy through the glass without getting called based on all that.

Which is a DUMB way to think. Which is why it's risky to let all that other stuff slide - it stacks up.
agreed. I am pretty confused how the hit on larkin wasn't some type of penalty. It seems like the definition of boarding has changed or something because if you look at the hit on luke hughes from hathaway a few days ago....that was a good, clean hit. He didn't hit his numbers, no slew foot, no cross check. He just manhandled him and they called........boarding.

very confusing. Now, usually in the beginning of the year, penalties are much more rampant to try and set a precedence and then throughout the season, it starts to change or evolve. But this season it feels like the opposite at times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad