GDT: Game #24 Penguins @ Sharks Dec 1st, 2015 7:30 PM | NBCSN, ROOT

Zeroz

Frightened Inmate #2
Jul 20, 2011
Oregon
I really truly believe my betting on the game caused the outcome. The hockey gods literally **** on my face every time.

The flukiness of the goals, the bounces, the ass reffing... Unbelievable

Stahp, betting is dangerous :help:

Did you bet on the stanchion game?

Mafoofoo

Jawesome
Jul 3, 2010
Laguna Beach
It's actually my bad. Going back to last season every time I go on a sushi date the Sharks lose. My bad guys I should've noticed the symbolism earlier.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I've said it a million times, but players like Tierney are why I sometimes give Doug Wilson a pass.

Here you have a player who has passed every single test, who up till now has shown every indication that he can be a future 2nd-line center, and is ready for bottom-6 NHL duty...and then the season starts, and Tierney plays like that.

If I'm DW, I have to be thinking...what can I count on? How can I invest any confidence in a young/inexperienced player when even this sure-thing screwed it up?

Of course, the flip side is that DW has to plan for every contingency, even the less likely ones. But Tierney playing like this...there was what, a 10% chance of that happening? As a GM, you can't be stressed about 10%....if you start preparing for every eventuality, you'll get nowhere.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I've said it a million times, but players like Tierney are why I sometimes give Doug Wilson a pass.

Here you have a player who has passed every single test, who up till now has shown every indication that he can be a future 2nd-line center, and is ready for bottom-6 NHL duty...and then the season starts, and Tierney plays like that.

If I'm DW, I have to be thinking...what can I count on? How can I invest any confidence in a young/inexperienced player when even this sure-thing screwed it up?

Of course, the flip side is that DW has to plan for every contingency, even the less likely ones. But Tierney playing like this...there was what, a 10% chance of that happening? As a GM, you can't be stressed about 10%....if you start preparing for every eventuality, you'll get nowhere.

Funny is this always seems to happen to shark youngsters. Come in late in the season get on a little hot streak and the fans get all excited about the future this kid has. Point out the mistakes the player is making and its just said he is learning the game once he figures them out he will be great.

Next season said player starts on the big club, no more hot streak and fans actually start to pay attention to every aspect of there game. And poof he is "underachieving" or maybe just maybe those handful of the hot streak the said player was actually overachieving his abilities.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Funny is this always seems to happen to shark youngsters.

This is bang-on...this does happen too frequently. Why....anyone without inside access to free to guess. It happens too often too just be bad apples.

Come in late in the season get on a little hot streak and the fans get all excited about the future this kid has. Point out the mistakes the player is making and its just said he is learning the game once he figures them out he will be great.

Next season said player starts on the big club, no more hot streak and fans actually start to pay attention to every aspect of there game. And poof he is "underachieving" or maybe just maybe those handful of the hot streak the said player was actually overachieving his abilities.

Sure that happens, but that isn't the case with Tierney. Tierney has been slowly building up to this. He had a super-dominant season in the OHL his last year there, and 210, one of the most pessimistic evaluators out there, was gushing about his play in Worcester last year. Of course he wasn't perfect...but at minimum, people were pencilling him in for fourth-line duty this year.

A guy who scored at a PPG in the AHL and then .5ppg in the NHL, after a roundly successful junior season should be expected to play 4th line minutes with no problem.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
This is bang-on...this does happen too frequently. Why....anyone without inside access to free to guess. It happens too often too just be bad apples.

Sure that happens, but that isn't the case with Tierney. Tierney has been slowly building up to this. He had a super-dominant season in the OHL his last year there, and 210, one of the most pessimistic evaluators out there, was gushing about his play in Worcester last year. Of course he wasn't perfect...but at minimum, people were pencilling him in for fourth-line duty this year.

A guy who scored at a PPG in the AHL and then .5ppg in the NHL, after a roundly successful junior season should be expected to play 4th line minutes with no problem.

The nhl is no guarantee. I don't care if you were putting up crosby numbers in the ohl the ohl is much easier to dominate from anything else especially as a 19/20 year old.

The ahl is a bit better but again because a player can be good in the ahl doesn't mean he will be a good player in the nhl. Everything is so much quicker from the ahl to the nhl. The worst players in the nhl could in most cases be 1st liners in the ahl.

With tierney yes he did good but it was for only like 20 games at the end of the season, where the sharks were already pretty much out of the playoffs. And he was making bad mistakes also but they were just tossed up to rookie mistakes and nobody batted an eye because he will get better. Now in season 2 and he is still making those "rookie" mistakes and every one is noticing them and wondering why.

It is still a little to early to throw tierney into the failed prospect, but if he doesn't pick it up by the midway point of next season then his nhl career will be coming to an end very soon.

FunkyPhin

Feb 2, 2011
Vancouver
I don't know if it's just me, but Thornton has not been playing well at all. He's been looking slower than ever, and making more and more dumb passes.

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose
I don't know if it's just me, but Thornton has not been playing well at all. He's been looking slower than ever, and making more and more dumb passes.
agree. he's been a turnover machine

I've noticed that as well, including last season. He's loosing speed and more importantly, he's losing his ability for snap decisions that are good ones.

The other one is Marleau who is not doing much on defense. I don't want to say Marleau's a two-way player because he's never been one. He gives up defense support to enhance his offense and breakaway attempts. You can see this in his stats... 9 out 18 seasons he has been in the minus side of the +/- including this season.

That carries over to the postseason where he has been on the minus side majority of his postseasons. So in essence, Marleau basically gives ups a goal for every goal he scores in the regular season, and gives up more goals for every one in the postseason.

Contrast this to Pavelski who has always been on the positive side of the +/- for every regular season he's played. Pavs, though, has 3 of 8 postseasons where he's been on the minus side.

Bottom line is Marleau has never been that elite of a forward that fans give him credit for. He's been overrated and over-paid to a degree. This is going to make it hard for DW to trade Marleau, I believe.

So moving onto DeBoer. It's hard to get goal scorers this late from the start of the season, unless the DW wants to take on unreasonable cap hits due to a poor contract. DeBoer needed to get a forward that plays the defense side of the game better than Marleau... significantly. This should be easier to do, but what does he end up with?

Zu who is a aging 37 year-old skater that so far shows he can do neither. Now, some of you guys here will say give him time to adjust, but at his age, those odds are slim to none, and slim is standing in the doorway about ready to leave.

Never again. No I didn't. But I bet on Nashville one year to ensure a playoff win and it worked.

Relax man, your betting has absolutely zero impact on the outcome of Sharks games. However, the same is not true of DeBoer and DW though. They need to bet wisely. They are losing their brand and image at home. If they don't turn this around, Sharks are going to slide into attendance.

The tank, this year, has not been the fearful place for visitors to come and play. It's docile, and the visiting fans are noticeable more vocal now. Of course the goal song, being disjointed with the fans chanting hurst as well. Learn from the Stars who had a over 200-game sellout streak go down in flames when they started to ice poor performance. Even now, they don't have a sellout streak. It's hard to get back fan support, but much easier to lose it.

Last edited:

tahoesharksfan

Old-Timer
Apr 29, 2014
The Lake

Another second on this observation. Man he looks like he's dropped two steps this year.

The Pens just took full advantage of our third blue line pairing last night, beating them up at every chance....:cry:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
People here need to get perspective when it comes to players. My goodness.

Tierney is a 21 year old sophomore playing with AHL players on the 4th line far more often than not. If you don't expect struggles in that situation, you're not being realistic. In this NHL, you have to deal with the growing pains of a young player if you ever expect that player to learn and get better. A reason why Mueller's spot should be determined and not wavered from regardless of whether it's the AHL or that 3rd pairing NHL spot...and then play him and let him make mistakes.

Also...lol at Marleau not being a two-way player...ever. That opinion is in the extreme minority.

SharksFailToClear

Apr 7, 2009
On a positive note. Pavelski continues to say the right things and keep his eye on the prize.

"Whether there's bad bounces or not, when the score ends up like that, you just have to look at yourself," Joe Pavelski said. "We didn't do enough."

It is refreshing to hear that even after a decent effort in a loss the captain wants to hold the team accountable. A hell of a lot different than the past few years of:

Joe: "Well things just didn't go our way tonight. We played well"
Reporter: "Joe, that was game 7"
Joe: "we'll get em next time."

Anyway, the end.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
On a positive note. Pavelski continues to say the right things and keep his eye on the prize.

"Whether there's bad bounces or not, when the score ends up like that, you just have to look at yourself," Joe Pavelski said. "We didn't do enough."

It is refreshing to hear that even after a decent effort in a loss the captain wants to hold the team accountable. A hell of a lot different than the past few years of:

Joe: "Well things just didn't go our way tonight. We played well"
Reporter: "Joe, that was game 7"
Joe: "we'll get em next time."

Anyway, the end.

It's not really that big of a deal since Pavs was saying that kind of stuff before he was captain. Pavs' leadership status didn't really change when he got the C.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I think there's a very real possibility that Thornton suffered a concussion. Which might be affecting his play. That"skate" issue and when he got tripped into the boards against anaheim

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013

I agree. It may have gotten worse since his non-concussion. It's hard for me to tell since there weren't that many games before that and his play during that pre-non-concussion time was inconsistent (e.g., one or two good periods or a few shifts, then some bad ones) and I haven't watched any games where I was mainly focusing on Thornton's play. If it was a minor brain injury, it would make sense that it would exacerbate any pre-existing problems (e.g., decrease in play due to age), especially ones that he hadn't adapted to yet.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I think there's a very real possibility that Thornton suffered a concussion. Which might be affecting his play. That"skate" issue and when he got tripped into the boards against anaheim

There's no doubt that he suffered a concussion and that probably is affecting his play but he won't fess up to it and they won't do anything about it.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
There's no doubt that he suffered a concussion and that probably is affecting his play but he won't fess up to it and they won't do anything about it.

At this point, all we can really do is wait and see if he recovers or if he doesn't

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad