GDT: Game 23: Washington Capitals (10-11-3) @ Seattle Kraken(14-5-3) - 7:00 p.m. PT / 10:00 p.m. ET

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
I'm starting to think that there is something special about this team and season. This season has been so much fun!
Huge win tonight when it looked early on that this just may not be their night. I swear this team must lead the lead in posts hit.

Props to Gru for outstanding play the last 2 periods, some real money stops.

Matty B sure don’t play like a rookie.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
This team finds 11 different ways to win from Sunday. And another clutch goal from Matty. I hope he gets a "C" for Christmas.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Good win. Feel a bit better about only conceding 2 goals this time and that the defense is capable when focused after some high scoring games.

Also a bit encouraged that Grubauer improved after that first period. I still think we'll go as far as goaltending allows us this year whether that be the play offs or a deeper run in it. To do that we probably can't over play Jones and need good performances from Grubauer when he does play to take the load off of Jones. I'm still a little nervous their form collapses.

What is our play off odds at this point? At what point of the season do we dare to dream and assume this isn't all some weird fluke and we don't revert to pre season expectations? (I already believe, just seems to be some magic with Seattle sports teams this year whether that be the huskies/Seahawks doing better than expected or the mariners ending the drought). All star break?

Do we dream about being first in the division/winning it? It feels within touching distance or do we just be happy with just making the play offs?

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
Also given that hakstol has been hated on this forum and sometimes with merit, got to give him kudos for the season so far. Hope it continues. What changed? All the players seem bought in, we are fun to watch and seem to have a clear style/system we didn't have last year. Just feels like a switch was flipped. New assistant coaches helping? Just better players this year?

The main board has also went very quiet on Francis blowing the expansion draft. If anything it's moving from us being a joke to complaints that the two expansion teams are doing well and it's not fair.

Last edited:

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Do we dream about being first in the division/winning it? It feels within touching distance or do we just be happy with just making the play offs?
Sure we dream, but we just keep going one game at a time and winning as many as possible and seeing where that lands us. Playoffs will be a major step forward and anything else is just gravy on top.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Also given that hakstol has been hated on this forum and sometimes with merit, got to give him kudos for the season so far. Hope it continues. What changed? All the players seem bought in, we are fun to watch and seem to have a clear style/system we didn't have last year. Just feels like a switch was flipped. New assistant coaches helping? Just better players this year?

The main board has also went very quiet on Francis blowing the expansion draft. If anything it's moving from us being a joke to complaints that the two expansion teams are doing well and it's not fair.
I think GMFrancis did as well as he could at the Expansion Draft. Most if not all NHL teams didn't provide a whole lot but what was provided Ronnie came in and scoped them up and then at TDL made deals to get extra picks in the Entry(nee Amatuer)draft. And his moves during this past offseason is borderline brilliant. All have worked well and fit in well and contributed!Hats off to GM Ronnie Francis!!!

That was Grubauer's alltime best save in the time he's been with the Kraken,wow!!!

Reactions: wewantyoursoul

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

Gets into a scrap,scores the tying Goal,mixes it up in the Corners and just hustles flat out. Great player to have and what character! GMFrancis said he wanted to build his team with a bunch of players that have Character especially when the lowest of lows which was last season. Sure helping in the highest of highs too.This team has Character in Spades! The Kraken were much better than last season and everyone and their dog was out to prove that this season. And the acquisitions sure have helped out the "gang"!!!

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022

That Kraken team has Pride and when things just didn't turn out well for them well it was gut check time the whole off-season. Plus pretty tough on a team to be on the road living out of Hotels for a month or so to start their inaugural year. That added to it. Then Our Genius GMFrancis plucked players he wanted during the Off-season. Getting budding young Super-Star Matty Beniers was/is an inspiration. Loves to carry the puck and drive the play. And Matty doesn't mind doing the dirty work,checking and backchecking! Andre The Giant has been the tonic in the corners and size that was needed big time. Continuing to score is superb. And the scoring is coming from pretty much everyone which is huge. This team is fun to watch

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

Defensive spacing has been good since game 10 against the Pens. The first three wins they flat out just outworked their opponents, but we had the same old puck chasing and poor spacing from last season.

I don't know what changed, but their discipline suddenly kicked in and they found chemistry. May be that it was around the third or fourth game where Hakstol didn't constantly change the lines twice every game? Or maybe the assistant coach change is a big part of it, Lowry has had a lot of success as a HC, maybe this is his addition to the team?

Love this! :laugh:

Reactions: The Marquis

Scomerica

Aug 14, 2020
Seattle, Wa
That Kraken team has Pride and when things just didn't turn out well for them well it was gut check time the whole off-season. Plus pretty tough on a team to be on the road living out of Hotels for a month or so to start their inaugural year. That added to it. Then Our Genius GMFrancis plucked players he wanted during the Off-season. Getting budding young Super-Star Matty Beniers was/is an inspiration. Loves to carry the puck and drive the play. And Matty doesn't mind doing the dirty work,checking and backchecking! Andre The Giant has been the tonic in the corners and size that was needed big time. Continuing to score is superb. And the scoring is coming from pretty much everyone which is huge. This team is fun to watch
I'm sure I read as well that last year the covid protocols really effed with the team. Apparently when travelling and flying they all had to be distant from each other, masks on etc. When you have a team that have never played together no wonder no chemistry was built last season at the start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad