GDT: Game 23 | Senators vs Rangers | Hockey fights Cancer Edition | Fri. Nov 22nd 7:30PM | RDS, TSN5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
I've been too busy to watch much hockey.

Are we better than the Tampa Bay Lightning now?

Was #contendforaplayoffspot not as foolish as it seemed?

Or are we going to ruin it all by jinxing ourselves with a video package narrated by Kathleen Edwards?

Most of all. Do we finally win the Mika Zibanejad trade?
Good post

except I dont see the name Honka

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I've been too busy to watch much hockey.

Are we better than the Tampa Bay Lightning now?

Was #contendforaplayoffspot not as foolish as it seemed?

Or are we going to ruin it all by jinxing ourselves with a video package narrated by Kathleen Edwards?

Most of all. Do we finally win the Mika Zibanejad trade?
We are ahead of Tampa. How long it will last I don’t know. But it’s been awesome!

Reactions: danielpalfredsson

Mark Effin Stone

I miss Kuba
May 10, 2010
Stockholm
Beaudin looked way more comfortable this time around, energy and good checking kinda what you want from the number 4 center. Didnt notice Lajoie and Jaros either which is a good thing..

thoroughly enjoyed that game from start to finish :thumbu:

Reactions: aragorn

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Talking about fans and management. Obviously.

You hate fans and management now too? :sarcasm:

Maybe you missed the context here, or I am interpreting it wrong. What I think JD was saying is that it's out of our hands, the players that were selected by the management are actually playing better than expected.

I am sure there are many tweaks required to make us a playoff team, but the fact of the matter is we are looking good so far. It was as expected in the beginning of the season that we would be horrible. New coach and new players. It was discussed. For you, to go and point out that now that Sabourin is gone , now we are winning is a clear indication that you are really grasping at straws now.

Take a deep breath, let it all go. We all were upset when they blew up the team. Dwelling on the past will give you an ulcer, when you hold in so much anger.

Start watching the rebuild, it's fun for now ..and yes, we all want a new owner. It may happen sooner than later. \\

:)

Sens72

Football Enthusiast
Aug 31, 2018
Canada
[mod qdp]

People wanting the team to finish last and secure a top 4 pick are the only one's who want the team to truly succeed. They are demonstrating the principle of delayed gratification, which is one of the clearest indicators of future success.

Short sighted fans who care more about a few meaningless regular season wins than securing the talent necessary to actually contend are failing the marshmallow test.

This smells like gatekeeping. Personally I want the team to get a top 5 pick but who really cares if some fans want to see the team look competitive. For the players and management it is better for the team to be competitive than win once every two weeks.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Beaudin looked way more comfortable this time around, energy and good checking kinda what you want from the number 4 center. Didnt notice Lajoie and Jaros either which is a good thing..

thoroughly enjoyed that game from start to finish :thumbu:

Lajoie laid out a monster hit and Jaros made 2-3 excellent breakout passes that started odd man rushes.

They picking up where they left off.

Really great to see.

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
You hate fans and management now too? :sarcasm:
Feel free to explain how you came to this conclusion from my post about delayed gratification.

Maybe you missed the context here, or I am interpreting it wrong. What I think JD was saying is that it's out of our hands, the players that were selected by the management are actually playing better than expected.
Pretty simple discussion to follow. I was talking about the section of the fanbase that wants to win now, vs the section of the fanbase that understands that securing a top 4 pick is the best path forward.

No one is asking the players /coach to tank.

I am sure there are many tweaks required to make us a playoff team, but the fact of the matter is we are looking good so far. It was as expected in the beginning of the season that we would be horrible. New coach and new players. It was discussed. For you, to go and point out that now that Sabourin is gone , now we are winning is a clear indication that you are really grasping at straws now.
Did we switch threads? Seems like this is off topic and/or threadjacking.

Take a deep breath, let it all go. We all were upset when they blew up the team. Dwelling on the past will give you an ulcer, when you hold in so much anger.

Start watching the rebuild, it's fun for now ..and yes, we all want a new owner. It may happen sooner than later. \\

:)
Feel free to keep your advice to yourself. Neither wanted, nor needed.

I'll continue to cheer for the best outcome for this franchise and provide my point of view on the decisions they make.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I'll continue to cheer for the best outcome for this franchise and provide my point of view on the decisions they make.

If you want to take the position that the best outcome for the franchise is #melnyk out then i think the board here is rather unanimous on that

But as a new poster to this board, i think that you should expect some push back when you suggest that you know what the best outcome is for the team in terms of on ice performance

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
If you want to take the position that the best outcome for the franchise is #melnyk out then i think the board here is rather unanimous on that

But as a new poster to this board, i think that you should expect some push back when you suggest that you know what the best outcome is for the team in terms of on ice performance
Poster are allowed to grab the marshmallow if they want.

This team needs the influx of top 4 talent if they ever want to compete for a cup.

And push back from varying points of view is what makes the board interesting.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
[mod qdp]

You can grab whatever you like however on a message board you should expect some push back when you present an opinion as an absolute

Last edited by a moderator:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Rangers/Ducks fan here coming in peace. You guys have an underrated team there and think things are looking up for you guys. Also sorry about Bobby Ryan, he was a big part of the Ducks organization. Feel bad and hope he recovers soon.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
that would be cool but tbh a laferniere/byfield means playoffs for most of the next decade.

I am huge advocate for winning culture = top picks but we have a great core we need one more elite superstar... at least.
Why do you think Lafreiniere/Byfield will fall to 4th overall though.

Sensfan4life

Nov 2, 2019
You can grab whatever you like however on a message board you should expect some push back when you present an opinion as an absolute
Feel free to explain your vision for future success with our current prospect pool, a mid 1st round pick and an owner who is unwilling/unable to sign quality UFA's.

starling

Nov 7, 2010
Ottawa
Feel free to explain your vision for future success with our current prospect pool, a mid 1st round pick and an owner who is unwilling/unable to sign quality UFA's.
We finished dead last with 3 elite players in their prime 2 years ago.
What makes you think adding one will make things different this time with this ownership and management?

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Poster are allowed to grab the marshmallow if they want.

This team needs the influx of top 4 talent if they ever want to compete for a cup.

And push back from varying points of view is what makes the board interesting.

If you believe that the team was capable of being a contender as it was with the core we had before this current "re-build", then we have proof that it is not necessary to tank to have enough superstar players to contend.

Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, Chabot and Matt Duchene are all elite players who were drafted later on (except Duchene 3rd ovr. I believe).

That on paper, was a very good team loaded with superstars, but they could not win games to save their lives. I think they were good enough to contend, but something was missing and either coaching or the role and supper players were lacking.

Building a good team is about way more than being bad and getting high picks, there are other ways to build a cup contender.

And give me a break with the whole "Some fans are wise to want to be bad now and good later", yes, it is a great idea but here are the Senators have finished bottom two twice in a row now and have missed the playoffs 4 out of the past 6 years, and if/when we miss again this season, that would make 5 of 7.

The fans are excited to see some winning again, do not blame us for that.

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
If you believe that the team was capable of being a contender as it was with the core we had before this current "re-build", then we have proof that it is not necessary to tank to have enough superstar players to contend.

Karlsson, Stone, Hoffman, Chabot and Matt Duchene are all elite players who were drafted later on (except Duchene 3rd ovr. I believe).

That on paper, was a very good team loaded with superstars, but they could not win games to save their lives. I think they were good enough to contend, but something was missing and either coaching or the role and supper players were lacking.

Building a good team is about way more than being bad and getting high picks, there are other ways to build a cup contender.

And give me a break with the whole "Some fans are wise to want to be bad now and good later", yes, it is a great idea but here are the Senators have finished bottom two twice in a row now and have missed the playoffs 4 out of the past 6 years, and if/when we miss again this season, that would make 5 of 7.

The fans are excited to see some winning again, do not blame us for that.
Boucher effect

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
We finished dead last with 3 elite players in their prime 2 years ago.
What makes you think adding one will make things different this time with this ownership and management?
What makes you think this core is capable of doing what the previous couldn't?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
In the end who cares what we want. Sure, blab about it back and forth for shits and giggles, but at the end of the day all we do is watch the team play.

Hope and wishes mean sweet f*** all here. Why some poster would crack out the no true Scotsman argument to segregate the fanbase, based on some folks enjoying what’s unfolding in front of them, as opposed to bitching about good play, is beyond me.

Games are fun as heck to watch, and we are fans watching, what’s not to like?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
The Sens missing out on the elite talent they desperately need to actually be a cup contender.

Sure, I’d like to win the lottery no matter where we finish, and if we were to suck all year a guaranteed 4oa would be nice.

But we’re winning more than that and looking good doing it so.... Since I can’t do anything about it, and it comes naturally anyways, I’m just going to go ahead and enjoy the wins.

The roster was torn down to studs, and we should have perhaps sucked based on paper, but the kids decided “f*** that” and have all bought in together and are forcing the issue, what can ya do?

The GM can’t all of a sudden undermine the team and trade away kore players so that we lose more, that would be a betrayal to the team, and it’s not like he’s going to trade futures for vets to make a push. This is the rebuilding team, and the chips are just going to fall where they may until around the deadline where some of the trade bait will be at their most valuable.

Try and enjoy the ride man.

Reactions: TheDebater
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad