GDT: Game 23: Red Wings at habs 7:00 pm et 12/2/23 (BSD)

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Oh my goodness, that's disgusting! And it got likes?
What the H is happening here?!
I think you read the post wrong. He said Kane was fun to listen to, and if his hip surgery didn't take, he could go for a career in sport broadcasting.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Mountain rules.

giphy.gif
See what happens when I stop watching? LOL. I thought it was gonna be an easy win, and they let Montreal right back into it.

Thank god for Walman's shitty slapper.:sarcasm:
(There was someone here that said his slapper sucks, lol)

Devilsfan2326

Oct 4, 2011
How likely is it that Lyon overtakes Husso? Looking at games played, Lyon faced the weaker teams in CHI, MIN, and a heavily injured NJ. While Husso has worse stats he's also faced BOS and NYR.

Their playoff experience is about equal, as Lyon has 4 games with FLA, and Husso had 7 games with STL. Are you all leaning towards giving Lyon a real chance to take the net?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
How likely is it that Lyon overtakes Husso? Looking at games played, Lyon faced the weaker teams in CHI, MIN, and a heavily injured NJ. While Husso has worse stats he's also faced BOS and NYR.

Their playoff experience is about equal, as Lyon has 4 games with FLA, and Husso had 7 games with STL. Are you all leaning towards giving Lyon a real chance to take the net?
Like... maybe 10%? While not technically "established" Husso is the guy they brought in to be the guy and he's paid to be the guy. That's exceedingly hard to overcome regardless of how the players involved are playing.

Reactions: Devilsfan2326

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Like... maybe 10%? While not technically "established" Husso is the guy they brought in to be the guy and he's paid to be the guy. That's exceedingly hard to overcome regardless of how the players involved are playing.
It would be moronic to sit the better goalie just because Husso makes more money. That's sunk cost.

Both goalies are signed for next season, Lyon is only 2 years older. Both were backup goalies prior to joining the team. The team has no long term commitment to either goalie.

The issue here is that Lalonde is slow to make adjustments. It took him half the season to take Chiarot off the top pair last season, guessing it takes him half a season to adjust goalie usage because apparently he needs a large sample size to make any decisions.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013

I was listening to the Winged Wheel podcast and the goalie trifecta came up. I think it was Ken and Max (guest spot) that kicked around the idea of holding each goalie to a goal being of 20 wins or so.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
It would be moronic to sit the better goalie just because Husso makes more money. That's sunk cost.

Both goalies are signed for next season, Lyon is only 2 years older. Both were backup goalies prior to joining the team. The team has no long term commitment to either goalie.

The issue here is that Lalonde is slow to make adjustments. It took him half the season to take Chiarot off the top pair last season, guessing it takes him half a season to adjust goalie usage because apparently he needs a large sample size to make any decisions.
And what of how the Wings have made roster decisions leads to believe they're doing anything other than that?

You think it's an accident the most expensive D (not named Mo or Walman) is the only one not yet healthy scratched?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
And what of how the Wings have made roster decisions leads to believe they're doing anything other than that?

You think it's an accident the most expensive D (not named Mo or Walman) is the only one not yet healthy scratched?
Imagine if the Blues had committed to playing Jake Allen and Chad Johnson because they were making more money than Binnington who was on his ELC? Only a moron would let pay be a deciding factor over play.

Now if you're saying Lalonde is a moron, I might agree. However, Chiarot actually has been playing well this season, at least better than the D that got scratched. He's also the only player aside from Mo and Klim that actually hits on a consistent basis. The D would be super soft without him.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Imagine if the Blues had committed to playing Jake Allen and Chad Johnson because they were making more money than Binnington who was on his ELC? Only a moron would let pay be a deciding factor over play.

Now if you're saying Lalonde is a moron, I might agree. However, Chiarot actually has been playing well this season, at least better than the D that got scratched. He's also the only player aside from Mo and Klim that actually hits on a consistent basis. The D would be super soft without him.
He has those tendencies.

There have been multiple games where Chia has been an absolute clusterf***. And not holding Chia accountable when he's willing to sit everyone else... that's a bad look. Had the Wings not been quite as shortsighted and taken an extra body to Sweden we could have sat both Chia and Petry after that Ottawa shit show. None of our D have had a worse game than ChiaPet had against Ottawa. They've sat. Does that change anything against Toronto? Who knows. But to have a guy play that poorly and then run him back out and lead the team in ice time the following night?

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
He has those tendencies.

There have been multiple games where Chia has been an absolute clusterf***. And not holding Chia accountable when he's willing to sit everyone else... that's a bad look. Had the Wings not been quite as shortsighted and taken an extra body to Sweden we could have sat both Chia and Petry after that Ottawa shit show. None of our D have had a worse game than ChiaPet had against Ottawa. They've sat. Does that change anything against Toronto? Who knows. But to have a guy play that poorly and then run him back out and lead the team in ice time the following night?
Chiarot has been good this year, and his stats actually support it.

2nd in takeways among our defensemen behind Mo
Has the least giveaways among our defensemen

There is a couple of reasons why he lead the team in icetime against Toronto
1. Walman got hurt, and we were down an LD
2. Seider took 3 penalties, which hurt his ice time, and Chiarot kills penalties

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Chiarot has been good this year, and his stats actually support it.

2nd in takeways among our defensemen behind Mo
Has the least giveaways among our defensemen

There is a couple of reasons why he lead the team in icetime against Toronto
1. Walman got hurt, and we were down an LD
2. Seider took 3 penalties, which hurt his ice time, and Chiarot kills penalties
Ghost has been good this year. He was scratched for having a game that wasn't anywhere near as bad as Chiarot against Ottawa.

The how's and why's are largely irrelevant. After the game he had he should have been watching. Petry was watching and Chiarot was every bit as bad.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
Ghost has been good this year. He was scratched for having a game that wasn't anywhere near as bad as Chiarot against Ottawa.

The how's and why's are largely irrelevant. After the game he had he should have been watching. Petry was watching and Chiarot was every bit as bad.
If the hows and whys are irrelevant, why are you bringing up his icetime? He was punished for the bad play during the Ottawa game. He only played 13 or so minutes in that game. So Lalonde is obviously not looking at the cap hit when deciding who plays.

Do you think they should have gone 13 and 5 in a back to back game where three of the defensemen had 23 to ~30 minutes the night prior?

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
If the hows and whys are irrelevant, why are you bringing up his icetime? He was punished for the bad play during the Ottawa game. He only played 13 or so minutes in that game. So Lalonde is obviously not looking at the cap hit when deciding who plays.

Do you think they should have gone 13 and 5 in a back to back game where three of the defensemen had 23 to ~30 minutes the night prior?
You quoted the post. Go ahead and read it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

1701684401609.png

There's really a HUGE difference in xGA.

Husso is facing the strongest opponents. And his is GA is pretty much equal to xGA.

Maybe there are some weak goals he gives up, but that's not anyhow abysmal stats. Every goalie gives up weak goals nowadays against strong opponents. Because strong teams are good. We also have had them from opposite goalies, because we are gooood.

Reactions: Devilsfan2326

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
I can't find the answers of what I just asked in that post, unless you think that Petry should have played instead of Chiarot in the game versus Ottawa.
"Had the Wings not been quite as shortsighted and taken an extra body to Sweden we could have sat both Chia and Petry after that Ottawa shit show."

Konnan511

#RetireHronek17
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2008
Sarasota, FL
What a roller coaster game… lost my voice, but it was worth it.

Fabri floats a lot without the puck.

Husso’s rebound control is very worrisome. So many floaters that a Peewee goalie can control and he somehow makes sure there is a rebound.

Ras looks like he’s at -50/100 on the confidence scale.

Wallman’s OT goal deserved that celly and boy oh boy let me tell you, the Montreal fans did no appreciate it as much as I did

3 beers, 5 goals and 4 hot dogs later, I think my night was a success boys
Flaunting you're a millionaire, eh?

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
View attachment 777515

There's really a HUGE difference in xGA.

Husso is facing the strongest opponents. And his is GA is pretty much equal to xGA.

Maybe there are some weak goals he gives up, but that's not anyhow abysmal stats. Every goalie gives up weak goals nowadays against strong opponents. Because strong teams are good. We also have had them from opposite goalies, because we are gooood.
We all agree Husso is facing tougher opponents, but look at Lyon's GA vs xGA. He's on a hot streak, ride it. You play the better goalie.

If Lyon falters against tougher opponents, he can always switch back. Goalies are the easiest players to swap back and forth, especially when you have 3 on the roster.

Plus if Lyon proves to be better, trading Husso saves cap space next season.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
If Lyon falters against tougher opponents, he can always switch back. Goalies are the easiest players to swap back and forth, especially when you have 3 on the roster.

Agreed. Switching guys around the lineup is something easy to do and doesn't require structural changes. Like the paint on a space ship.

RRhoads

Mar 10, 2015
Norway
"Had the Wings not been quite as shortsighted and taken an extra body to Sweden we could have sat both Chia and Petry after that Ottawa shit show."
I agree with that, but not so sure about sitting Chiarot. Petry has been bad all season imo, and Chiarot has been good. Just have to agree to disagree on that one. I think we both agree that Ed should be up, but I think Maatta is the one that has to go. Only tradeable defenseman.

Was it Czarnik that was the last forward? I can't remember. The obvious choice would have been to go with Berggren and Ed, as they are both waiver excempt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad