Post-Game Talk: Game 23 - As the late, great Ned Martin would say MERCY!!!!!!!! - B's win it in OT - 5-4

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
I see that, but it seems like most of the time Krejci doesn’t step on the ice until there’s only 30-40 seconds left, usually during a scattered transition.

If PP 1 is going to get 1:30 - 1:40, I’d rather a Krejci be on it.

Then send out 3 of Coyle, Heinen, DeBrusk, Bjork to finish it.
agreed. that 20-30 seconds of PP2 isn't going to make or break anything.

Reactions: sarge88

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Clearly Brice has been cashing NHL coach cheque’s for a few years now. Those AHL ones weren’t enough to cover that sorta fine.

Jacobs should be offering to pay it though, cause that game was gross.

Good on him for saying it and Boston for winning in spite of those two rodeo clowns in stripes tonight.
OMG I LOVE IT! Finally Bruce got fed up enough and decided to not lose any more hair and say what he was feeling. It's
not good to have pent-up anger. Good for him!:thumbu::yo:

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Love this

I'm glad he said something and explained the absurdity of what happened last night. I have no problem with the majority of the calls on the Bs last night, but as Bruce points out the refs ignored the other team doing the same thing. Same crap happened over and over in the SCF. People can say what they want, but in a league with this much parity reffing a one-sided game can make a difference in the outcome. Bs fought through it last night against a markedly inferior opponent and were able to capitalize with extra strength.

This is why the Bs absolutely must find a top 6 scoring winger for the 2nd line by playoff time. The Bs are incredible with a man advantage, but could use more help even strength. A solid PK and a few lines who are a threat even strength can put the team in a much better position to win on those nights when refs are being blatantly one-sided, as opposed to being crazy reliant on the top line and PP.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I’m not saying this because of last night alone, because I’ve said it several times over the last month or so, but, if the first line is going to be on most power plays for 1:30 - 1:45, why not put Krejci out there with line 1 and Krug?

I don’t think it’s anecdotal when I say that DK has great chemistry, albeit in small samples, with all three guys on line 1.

IMO, it makes no sense not to have arguably, your 2nd most creative all around player on the power play as much as possible.

I think the problem is that someone has to play in front of the net. You can't just go five out. You're not going to put Krejci in front of the net, so that means you have to replace one of Krug, Pastrnak, Bergeron, or Marchand with him, and they're not going to do that.

Reactions: BRUINS since 1995

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
strictly watched the highlights, quite the finish, looked like the Wild scored a few odd one`s too. What a terrific OT goal by Krug. Off to Montreal

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
Quick kudos to The Wild though. All four goals were scored in the blue paint and that's nice to see from any team, but especially from a team that's a bit talent starved and struggling. All respect to that brand of hockey. Also, their broadcasters are excellent.
and reminds me how much I wanted The Bruins to sign Staal when he left New York as I was sure he had more left in the tank. Him and R. Nash were the two guys I really wanted for Krejci's wing.

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I think the problem is that someone has to play in front of the net. You can't just go five out. You're not going to put Krejci in front of the net, so that means you have to replace one of Krug, Pastrnak, Bergeron, or Marchand with him, and they're not going to do that.

I see that, but they’ve been using Heinen there for a bit now and he’s not exactly the prototypical net front presence, like a Neely or Kerr.

I think it’s more about getting your best players together.

I know it’s a little diffent but it seems like every time the other team pulls their goaltender and DK is out there with line 1, they are dominant.

I think it would be the same if he’s on PP 1 with them.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I see that, but they’ve been using Heinen there for a bit now and he’s not exactly the prototypical net front presence, like a Neely or Kerr.

I know it’s a little diffent but it seems like every time the other team pulls their goaltender and DK is out there with line 1, they are dominant.

Heinen in front of the net does something that not everyone can nor will do and that`s literally stand your ground in front of the net and not slide to one side or the next the minute a shot is coming in which absolutely has frustrated me over the last few years with this team.

You don`t have to be 6`3 to be a problem for a goalie or defender, the guy drives me nuts but you look at what chaos Gallagher often creates for the Habs in front of the net

Reactions: BMC

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I will say that the player and puck movement would probably be better. Right now, the powerplay is fairly stagnant in its movement. It's so successful that they're not going to change anything, but sometimes I wonder if it would be even better if they were more creative and moved not just the puck, but the players around more.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Don Cherry once said if you want the perfect Hockey player send Don Marcotte to Mars and let them watch Marcotte. They could manufacture perfect hockey players. Never saw a player so solid on his skates. Chief was the master of the hip check, Donnie the shoulder check.He with Jean Ratelle and Schmautzie were one of the best lines ever. We had nicknames for all the players, we called him Angel after a Stooges character. The bad guy had a goon called Angel with a meat clever with the wiry black hair and sideburns and the ever present five o'clock shadow Marcotte always had. He was every bit as good as Gainey but never got the same accolades.
Donnie's nephew is an orthopedic surgeon in Boston. He operated on my cousin and I took her for her follow-up appointment with Dr. Marcotte a few months after surgery. He looks a LOT like Donnie. For a good 20 minutes he and I went on about the Bruins and his uncle. IIRC the nephew grew up in Montreal and I don't think that he ever saw his uncle play in person. It was a fun conversation but I'm not sure if my cousin (who was brought up with us and I consider my sister) appreciated the talk as she wanted to discuss the nuances of her surgery. He eventually did go over the surgery and her healing/recovery but I was thrilled to be talking hockey with one of my fave players relatives. IMO it was disgraceful the way Sinden passed on signing Marcotte at the end of the 1981/82 season. No tribute, no mention of him or compliments but "don't let the door hit you in the a$$ on the way out" attitude.
Makes me wonder (a LOT) about Harry Sindens s****y attitude toward certain players.
While Heinen is a very good, very trustworthy player, he can never match Donnie Marcotte's physical play. IIRC he had several multi goal games and even a 4 goal game or two.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Heinen in front of the net does something that not everyone can nor will do and that`s literally stand your ground in front of the net and not slide to one side or the next the minute a shot is coming in which absolutely has frustrated me over the last few years with this team.

You don`t have to be 6`3 to be a problem for a goalie or defender, the guy drives me nuts but you look at what chaos Gallagher often creates for the Habs in front of the net

I think DeBrusk did the same thing when he was there, TBH,

I just think that DK is one the 20 or so most creative passers in the league. To not have him on the ice for the majority of a PP is criminal, IMO...regardless of how good the PP is going.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

I just think that DK is one the 20 or so most creative passers in the league. To not have him on the ice for the majority of a PP is criminal, IMO...regardless of how good the PP is going.

Jake is ok at it too although he also has the tendency to shift slightly to the side and go for the tip which, if it works is great but if it doesn`t, essentially gives the goalie a look at the puck.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I was watching this at my friend's place and with 3 mins to go, she said looks like your Bruins are done for tonight, I told her no they have pulled out late wins before and said they will score 2 goals late with the goalie pulled and then win in OT. :) By the way is there a worst referee in the NHL than Tim Peel? Just wish he would retire already.

bobbyorr04

Bruins fan 4ever
Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
I was watching this at my friend's place and with 3 mins to go, she said looks like your Bruins are done for tonight, I told her no they have pulled out late wins before and said they will score 2 goals late with the goalie pulled and then win in OT. :) By the way is there a worst referee in the NHL than Tim Peel? Just wish he would retire already.

Good call

...do you have 6 lucky numbers between 1 and 49 you could share ;)

Reactions: bbfan419

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Woke up to a couple of PM's asking who the heck is Ned Martin - and that is fair

Ned Martin, 78, Broadcaster for Red Sox

Ned Martin, a radio and television broadcaster for the Boston Red Sox for three decades, died Tuesday, a day after he appeared at Fenway Park for the team's tribute to Ted Williams. He was 78.

Mr. Martin collapsed at Raleigh-Durham International Airport while en route to his home in Clarksville, Va. He had a heart attack, his wife, Barbara, said.

Mr. Martin's signature call was ''Mercy.''

''He was the most literate of all broadcasters,'' the Red Sox broadcaster Joe Castiglione told The Boston Globe. ''He was a scholar of literature and a great Hemingway expert. He had a way of describing things very succinctly, honestly and openly. He never interfered with an event.''

Ned actually called numerous Bruins games in the '60s for WHDH radio when Fred Cusick had other commitments

The phrase 'Mercy' today is associated with Ken Harrelson who freely admits it was a tribute by him to Ned Martin when they called the games on TV38 from 1979-81.

I do PGT headings on the fly and Mercy was the first thing that came to me :wally:

(Slightly!) younger forum members may perhaps recognize the phrase as being used on a couple of occasions by Principal Seymour Skinner in The Simpsons, which I assume was done in homage to Martin.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Torey Krug’s OT goal caps Bruins’ comeback win over Wild - The Boston Globe

Every season should have some magic, a little bit of wonderment, pixiedust sprinkled Tinkerbell-like over a moment to suspend reality, or at least interrupt what can be the monotony of a grinding, seemingly unending season.

Tinkerbell showed up late on Causeway Street on Saturday night and emptied out her 55-gallon drums of wonderment.

Down by two goals with less than two minutes left in regulation, the Bruins rallied back to tie with a pair of David Krejci goals (each with goalie Tuukka Rask pulled) 48 seconds apart and then won it, 5-4, when Torey Krug raced the length of the ice and finished off with a dramatic doorstep backhander with 2:19 remaining in the 3-on-3 overtime.

Krug, just back after missing five games with injury, began the play from his own goal line, just to the left of Rask, and galloped like a Triple Crown champion through a porous Wild trio of Zach Parise, Luke Kunin, and Brad Hunt. Rare is there such open ice in today’s buttoned-down and oft-robotic NHL, even in the open acreage that overtime affords, and Krug ate up every inch of space in his 200-foot tour de force that delivered Boston’s ninth win on home ice this season.

Bruins fans of a certain age — Boomer Alert! — will recall when Bobby Orr made such wizardry de rigueur on Causeway Street during his legendary career. Krug is no Orr, because no one can recreate that time, that talent that duende, but the winning rush was of near-No. 4 caliber.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Torey Krug’s OT goal caps Bruins’ comeback win over Wild - The Boston Globe

Every season should have some magic, a little bit of wonderment, pixiedust sprinkled Tinkerbell-like over a moment to suspend reality, or at least interrupt what can be the monotony of a grinding, seemingly unending season.

Tinkerbell showed up late on Causeway Street on Saturday night and emptied out her 55-gallon drums of wonderment.

Down by two goals with less than two minutes left in regulation, the Bruins rallied back to tie with a pair of David Krejci goals (each with goalie Tuukka Rask pulled) 48 seconds apart and then won it, 5-4, when Torey Krug raced the length of the ice and finished off with a dramatic doorstep backhander with 2:19 remaining in the 3-on-3 overtime.

Krug, just back after missing five games with injury, began the play from his own goal line, just to the left of Rask, and galloped like a Triple Crown champion through a porous Wild trio of Zach Parise, Luke Kunin, and Brad Hunt. Rare is there such open ice in today’s buttoned-down and oft-robotic NHL, even in the open acreage that overtime affords, and Krug ate up every inch of space in his 200-foot tour de force that delivered Boston’s ninth win on home ice this season.

Bruins fans of a certain age — Boomer Alert! — will recall when Bobby Orr made such wizardry de rigueur on Causeway Street during his legendary career. Krug is no Orr, because no one can recreate that time, that talent that duende, but the winning rush was of near-No. 4 caliber.

For me it was Wesley’s (I think him) Winning goal vs. the Habs in November of 87 capping off a late comeback that I will always remember.

Reactions: bbfan419

aguineapig

Anyone else just watch Bruins in 2? Rask with save on Zucker just before they pulled him and that leg stretch save in Hunt in OT something else. Cool, calm and Krech ties it up, the guy in the Purple sweat shirt jumped about five feet in the air after the tying goal. How did Coyle not win it at the end of reg? Just to set it up for Krug I suppose. Stalock cannot go side to side whatsoever, he's the big kid we used to put in net for street hockey. Can they play it again instead of Charlie Moore?

Reactions: bbfan419 and BMC

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige

I don’t agree with some of your argument. PP is out there 3-4 times a game while the last minute is once in some games...
Opponents prepare against Boston PP.
If you get DK in on the first pp, you need to get 88 out or 37. All right handed. bergeron is one of the best in the bumper position and one of the best faceoff man. Pastrnak snipes. Heinen or Debrusk in front and you have Marchand and Krug.
The PP as it is, until it is broken, you don’t change that.

Reactions: kjpm

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I don’t agree with some of your argument. PP is out there 3-4 times a game while the last minute is once in some games...
Opponents prepare against Boston PP.
If you get DK in on the first pp, you need to get 88 out or 37. All right handed. bergeron is one of the best in the bumper position and one of the best faceoff man. Pastrnak snipes. Heinen or Debrusk in front and you have Marchand and Krug.
The PP as it is, until it is broken, you don’t change that.

I understand that point of view, but I don’t put too much stock in the R/L issue.

Limiting Krejci to scraps on the PP with 2nd tier talent isn’t the best use of him, IMO.

The PP has been good, but it can always be better.

It’s not like DK avoids the front of the net either, he’s as good as anyone in traffic around the net.

Reactions: BMC

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I understand that point of view, but I don’t put too much stock in the R/L issue.

Limiting Krejci to scraps on the PP with 2nd tier talent isn’t the best use of him, IMO.

The PP has been good, but it can always be better.

It’s not like DK avoids the front of the net either, he’s as good as anyone in traffic around the net.
Dk will play halfboard or on the point. Do you really want DK in Debrusk or Heinen place in front of the net....
Do you want him in Pastrnak place? Would you remove Bergeron who gains 58% of each puck on the faceoff and is one of the best bumper guy! Then it comes down to Marchand and Krug.
I think as it is built the Boston PP is balance. Can be cerebral, dynamite and offensive punch.
DK at the end of games adds...positively. He is a heck of a player but right now first unit is as good as it can be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad