Post-Game Talk: Game 22 vs CHI - 3 Stars

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Kostin not so good at hockey. I have no issues with him taking a penalty though.
Kostin is completely fine for playing on the fourth line. Hes not some goon out there that cant play. That entire line has been really good this year. Youre not gonna have a Larkin level hockey player on every single line and if a guy can play like Kostin and fight pretty much anyone in the league, thats a good thing for Detroit. Even if he couldnt fight, he would still be a really good fourth liner.

And just to illustrate it a little better... Kostin has the second best expected goals for % on the team, the highest scoring chances for percentage on the team, the second highest high danger corsi for percentage on the team, has the 5th most penalties drawn, and the most hits by far.

^thats for forwards. But if hes so bad at hockey, why are all the advanced stats saying hes been playing really well?

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Ghost left the game from a bad hit the night before, Debrincat got ran from behind the night before, Chicago had a few chippy plays and were starting to get frustrated. A guy throws another big hit in a blowout game and Kostin went after him.

Why are people overthinking this? "Waaaahhhh a guy on the red wings can actually play hockey, fight AND likes to defend his teammates". People complain about this now? Pretty soft
Guess we need that 8 mins of enforcer, he's basically Ryan Reeves. I'm sure you all would be blowing Reevo if he was in our lineup every night.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Kostin is completely fine for playing on the fourth line. Hes not some goon out there that cant play. That entire line has been really good this year. Youre not gonna have a Larkin level hockey player on every single line and if a guy can play like Kostin and fight pretty much anyone in the league, thats a good thing for Detroit. Even if he couldnt fight, he would still be a really good fourth liner.

And just to illustrate it a little better... Kostin has the second best expected goals for % on the team, the highest scoring chances for percentage on the team, the second highest high danger corsi for percentage on the team, has the 5th most penalties drawn, and the most hits by far.

^thats for forwards. But if hes so bad at hockey, why are all the advanced stats saying hes been playing really well?
If he's so good at hockey, how come he only has 2 points and been healthy scratched in favor of running 7D?

Zadina started out with good advanced stats couple of seasons, and people here were saying how good he is defensively, lol. Watch the games, Kostin sucks at hockey.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Guess we need that 8 mins of enforcer, he's basically Ryan Reeves. I'm sure you all would be blowing Reevo if he was in our lineup every night.
Youre an idiot if you think Kostin and Reaves have the same on ice impact.

If he's so good at hockey, how come he only has 2 points and been healthy scratched in favor of running 7D?

Zadina started out with good advanced stats couple of seasons, and people here were saying how good he is defensively, lol. Watch the games, Kostin sucks at hockey.
Because hes a fourth liner and guys move in and out of the line up. I'm not syaing hes Gretzky, but hes an above average hockey player for the fourth line, even if you remove the fact that he hits and fights. Thats just a bonus. I also think Fischer has been really effective this year and a big part of why the fourth line has been so good but hes only got1 goal and 5 points. I guess hes been horrible too

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Because hes a fourth liner and guys move in and out of the line up. I'm not syaing hes Gretzky, but hes an above average hockey player for the fourth line, even if you remove the fact that he hits and fights. Thats just a bonus. I also think Fischer has been really effective this year and a big part of why the fourth line has been so good but hes only got1 goal and 5 points. I guess hes been horrible too
You've been watching the Red Wings too much and other teams not enough. 4th liners on Cup teams usually have 20 - 25pts in a season, sometimes even more. Klim is on pace for less than 10, and hasn't shown any puck skills or hockey IQ.

I'm not a big fan of Fischer either. The 4th line did look good when Raz played 4C, so that's one way to fix it once Kane starts playing.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Ghost left the game from a bad hit the night before, Debrincat got ran from behind the night before, Chicago had a few chippy plays and were starting to get frustrated. A guy throws another big hit in a blowout game and Kostin went after him.

Why are people overthinking this? "Waaaahhhh a guy on the red wings can actually play hockey, fight AND likes to defend his teammates". People complain about this now? Pretty soft

It's beginning to look like you quoted the wrong person, isn't it?

Look, dude. I love Kostin and love what he brings. I even said as much in the GDT. I accept the fact that the state of the game today is that we go after players who make clean hits now. I don't like it, but I accept it. What I take exception to, if you had bothered to read past the first line, is that he took an additional ten minutes he didn't have to because he didn't friggin' stop when the ref told him to. Sure, one could argue he doesn't get much ice time anyway, but it's still time that would've better been served on the bench and available to skate, rather than in the room waiting for 14 minutes to pass. That, I'm afraid, is the point and why you clearly quoted the wrong person.

Kostin is a breath of fresh air on this team, and I love that he sticks up for the boys. It must've been hard to blatantly ignore that previously, so I hope it's clear as day to you now.

TheMule93

On a mule rides the swindler
May 26, 2015
Ontario
Fun fact: Detroit has a better goal differential than 3 of those teams and an easier schedule moving forward.

And playing devils advocate here, but maybe Buffalo overachieved relative to their talent level last season and it’s giving people false hopes and expectations there?

Thats a good point. Ive always used goal differential as an indicator of who the good teams truly are. We're right up there with the best of them right now, I see us sustaining this success for sure.

Reactions: raymond23

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Thats a good point. Ive always used goal differential as an indicator of who the good teams truly are. We're right up there with the best of them right now, I see us sustaining this success for sure.

And if not for OT wins Toronto is below .500.

If Detroit is lucky and keeps their current pace there’s a chance they could be second in the division. Like I said, their schedule is much easier moving forward. 3 games against Boston, 2 against NYR, and lots left against a weak western conference.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
You've been watching the Red Wings too much and other teams not enough. 4th liners on Cup teams usually have 20 - 25pts in a season, sometimes even more. Klim is on pace for less than 10, and hasn't shown any puck skills or hockey IQ.

I'm not a big fan of Fischer either. The 4th line did look good when Raz played 4C, so that's one way to fix it once Kane starts playing.
I dont know what youre watching. The 4th line has been great all season, and extremely consistent. Theres a reason Kostin and Fischer are near the top of the team in a shit load of advanced stat categories.

I watch plenty of other teams. Last season Kostin was good enough to play more than 10 mins a game in the regular season, had 11 goals and 21 points in only 57 games, was on pace for 16 goals and 30 points, and had 5 points in 12 playoff games.

So yeah, he was good enough to do all that on the 6th best team in the league as a rookie last year, but because hes had a slow start numbers wise, while having extremely good advanced stats this season on a team thats playing really well.... he sucks.

I mean, in literally the only season hes come close to playing the whole thing he literally hit your random arbitrary numbers that you want to see, while also being a huge hitter and a guy who can fight almost anyone. You need to watch other teams if you think everyone is rolling out players as good as Kostin across their fourth lines

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad