GDT: Game 22: Sharks vs. Capitals 7:30pm NBCSCA

Jul 10, 2010
Looking at how Zetterlund, Okhotiuk, Musty and Mukhamadullin are panning out so far (not to mention the upcoming top 60 pick) it's a shame the Sharks didn't do the same thing with Hertl, Pavelski, Couture, etc.
still time with Couture. I wonder if a team like Boston or Colorado would throw a 1st to us for max retention.

Coutures a good 2C/2LW at this point, both teams need some more skill in their top 6.

Chinaski89

May 17, 2019
And here I just turned 35 and my hair is almost completely gray. I feel for Ovi
Hey man, me too, I’ve been graying since 23 and more gray than my original dark brown by 28 and now at 34 almost all gray. I’m cool with it, but wanted the beard to stay untouched… sadly I’m getting my first gray patches starting these past few months. Sucks!

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Brodie made a point on the post game analysis. Zetterlund has more goals than Meier. I did not know that.
It only solidifies my thinking that Grier knows more than some think he does. Yes, immediately, Zets looked lost. He’s really put it together, long term view. Good on Grier.
I think Meier is still going to be a decent player for NJ, but not maybe worth being the highest paid forward on the team (which makes J.Hughes giant steal at 8mil cap for many years)
Zets has really started showing what the hype from NJ fans meant. Zets like Meier needs to play 1st-2nd line with good players to score, but I hope he can find that same touch when team IS stacked and he is playing 3rd line minutes.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose
Mostly tuned in to see Bailey since he's been one of my favorites this season, and glad to see he did well. Played just how he's played in preseason and the AHL minus some of his dangles which probably won't work at the NHL level. Only issue I've had with him this season is he's got a real mouth sometimes. I don't mind when he's jawing with other players because I like him bringing that energy, but he spends much too long complaining at officials. Don't see why he won't stick in the Sharks' bottom six.

Honestly, I don't see why he hasn't stuck in someone's bottom six before, based on everything I've seen from him.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Looking at how Zetterlund, Okhotiuk, Musty and Mukhamadullin are panning out so far (not to mention the upcoming top 60 pick) it's a shame the Sharks didn't do the same thing with Hertl, Pavelski, Couture, etc.
I get your sentiment about Hertl but Pavs and Couture are not the same. Both Couture and Pavs deals expired the year they went to the Conference Finals and that was probably the most stacked Sharks team on paper. There is no way they should have traded those players at the deadline.

Injuries and poor goaltending are the only reasons that team didn’t win the cup.

hotcabbagesoup

why u guys want Celebrini, he played like a weenie
Feb 18, 2009
Reno, Nevada
Hey man, me too, I’ve been graying since 23 and more gray than my original dark brown by 28 and now at 34 almost all gray. I’m cool with it, but wanted the beard to stay untouched… sadly I’m getting my first gray patches starting these past few months. Sucks!

Do you work outside much? I'm outside a good amount. I also have minor sleeping/waking issues my whole life. I think those things contribute to my graying at an age like yours. (only gray hair though, the facial hair is still dark)

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
Mostly tuned in to see Bailey since he's been one of my favorites this season, and glad to see he did well. Played just how he's played in preseason and the AHL minus some of his dangles which probably won't work at the NHL level. Only issue I've had with him this season is he's got a real mouth sometimes. I don't mind when he's jawing with other players because I like him bringing that energy, but he spends much too long complaining at officials. Don't see why he won't stick in the Sharks' bottom six.

Honestly, I don't see why he hasn't stuck in someone's bottom six before, based on everything I've seen from him.
He was really impressive last night. He looked to be better suited in the NHL than the AHL. Of course, it’s one game but he did more with what he has than a few others.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Brodie made a point on the post game analysis. Zetterlund has more goals than Meier. I did not know that.
It only solidifies my thinking that Grier knows more than some think he does. Yes, immediately, Zets looked lost. He’s really put it together, long term view. Good on Grier.

I second this. The trade is looking better and better — if Zetterlund and Okhiutuk keep growing and Musty lives up to his potential, it was a hell of a trade. Hopefully all 3 pieces become key guys in the next competitive Sharks team.

Now we just need Meier to lead the Devils to the conference finals…

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I second this. The trade is looking better and better — if Zetterlund and Okhiutuk keep growing and Musty lives up to his potential, it was a hell of a trade. Hopefully all 3 pieces become key guys in the next competitive Sharks team.

Now we just need Meier to lead the Devils to the conference finals…
Add Muk to that list.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I get your sentiment about Hertl but Pavs and Couture are not the same. Both Couture and Pavs deals expired the year they went to the Conference Finals and that was probably the most stacked Sharks team on paper. There is no way they should have traded those players at the deadline.

Injuries and poor goaltending are the only reasons that team didn’t win the cup.
Getting eliminated by the Oilers and a first year expansion team in back to back years should have been a wake up call that it was time to rebuild rather than go all in for one last moonshot.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Getting eliminated by the Oilers and a first year expansion team in back to back years should have been a wake up call that it was time to rebuild rather than go all in for one last moonshot.
I can see the argument but teams eventually have to try and go for it and in a world where EK doesn’t tear his groin they realistically could have won a cup.

Painful Quandary

Mar 22, 2015
California
The Sharks had a few late-season injuries heading into the series, the biggest being Couture. As for the Knights, the Sharks gave them the toughest series in the west, and that's not even getting into the reffing/discipline when it comes to that series. I think the hindsight move is not trading for Karlsson rather than using those two series to justify a rebuild.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
The Sharks had a few late-season injuries heading into the series, the biggest being Couture. As for the Knights, the Sharks gave them the toughest series in the west, and that's not even getting into the reffing/discipline when it comes to that series. I think the hindsight move is not trading for Karlsson rather than using those two series to justify a rebuild.
Yeah I agree that not trading for Karlsson is the decision point but that still would have made the Sharks a playoff team and there is no way they would sell off Pavs and Couture as the OP indicated.

Also I don’t see why DW would not make the EK trade when you can add arguably the top defensemen in the league at $5.5 Mil to a strong playoff team when you only gave up a bad 3C and #6 defensemen from a the current roster. It was a move that made the Sharks a legitimate cup contender and if not for injuries to EK, Hertl, Vlassic, and Pavs there very well could have been a parade down Santa Clara Street.

Not to re-litigate this but DW built a solid cup contender in 18-19. It was the 2019 offseason that was the start of the downfall.

Reactions: Cas

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Yeah I agree that not trading for Karlsson is the decision point but that still would have made the Sharks a playoff team and there is no way they would sell off Pavs and Couture as the OP indicated.

Also I don’t see why DW would not make the EK trade when you can add arguably the top defensemen in the league at $5.5 Mil to a strong playoff team when you only gave up a bad 3C and #6 defensemen from a the current roster. It was a move that made the Sharks a legitimate cup contender and if not for injuries to EK, Hertl, Vlassic, and Pavs there very well could have been a parade down Santa Clara Street.

Not to re-litigate this but DW built a solid cup contender in 18-19. It was the 2019 offseason that was the start of the downfall.
I think you make the trade all day.

I think you walk away from the new contract and rebuild if we get to use hindsight.

Reactions: coooldude

SjMilhouse

Jul 18, 2012
I mean Zetterlund has played 8 more games then Meier so not sure you can really read into that too much

stator

Apr 17, 2012
San Jose

Don't understand your statement of "sell off Pavs". He walked into UFA, never traded. In fact, I believe he was never traded in his NHL history so far.

Letting a guy depart with that talent without anything in return was a baffoon move by DW.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad