GDT: Game 22: Sharks vs. Capitals 7:30pm NBCSCA

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
What a kick in the nuts for Vlasic, 5th time he will be a healthy scratch in 6 games.

I never thought I would see the day - San Jose Sharks' first line center, Luke Kunin.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
What a kick in the nuts for Vlasic, 5th time he will be a healthy scratch in 6 games.

I never thought I would see the day - San Jose Sharks' first line center, Luke Kunin.
People wanted accountability for veterans, they're getting it. This is as close to sending him thru waivers as they can get, realistically. Hopefully he just decides to hang them up after this year.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
People wanted accountability for veterans, they're getting it. This is as close to sending him thru waivers as they can get, realistically. Hopefully he just decides to hang them up after this year.
The only way Vlasic hangs them up is if we buy him out. He's not giving up that guaranteed money and it would be stupid for him to do so.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
He might be too prideful to not play. But he might be too spiteful to retire
I don't know. He's still owed 12.5 mil over the final two years of his deal after this season. If he's too prideful to not play, he hasn't really said anything publicly to indicate that sort of thing. I don't think it's a matter of spite even for him to not retire. Asking anyone to pass up that kind of money to retire due to not being good enough anymore seems like a stretch. The team ought to make that decision for him and buy him out unless some sort of injury situation comes up before the season is over. I'd prefer to bury him for his final two years and make him earn that money in the minors where he belongs even among this group of mostly fringe NHL d-men. But organizations tend to buy out guys like Vlasic in this sort of situation.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I don't know. He's still owed 12.5 mil over the final two years of his deal after this season. If he's too prideful to not play, he hasn't really said anything publicly to indicate that sort of thing. I don't think it's a matter of spite even for him to not retire. Asking anyone to pass up that kind of money to retire due to not being good enough anymore seems like a stretch. The team ought to make that decision for him and buy him out unless some sort of injury situation comes up before the season is over. I'd prefer to bury him for his final two years and make him earn that money in the minors where he belongs even among this group of mostly fringe NHL d-men. But organizations tend to buy out guys like Vlasic in this sort of situation.
Fair. I think they should just buy him out. It's not really worth keeping him on the roster in any capacity. The cap hit for the next 2 years would be $3,8m and $4,8m which is a pretty large chunk but it gives Grier more cap flexibility, especially with the cap set to increase. The next 2 years after that is just $1.3m which is next to nothing for where the team is at while the next core is still on ELCs.

Reactions: Bartcal

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Fair. I think they should just buy him out. It's not really worth keeping him on the roster in any capacity. The cap hit for the next 2 years would be $3,8m and $4,8m which is a pretty large chunk but it gives Grier more cap flexibility, especially with the cap set to increase. The next 2 years after that is just $1.3m which is next to nothing for where the team is at while the next core is still on ELCs.
I don't mind the buyout option either. I just don't care for the extra two years even with it being only 1.3 mil. We'll still have Karlsson and Jones' dead money for the first year and then just Vlasic for the second year. It's not terrible but if the team has a turnaround between now and then 4.3 mil in dead money is not helpful.

Reactions: Sandisfan

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Give him a choice: Retire or the Sharks will lobby with local government to get dog shelters shut down.

Then watch how the problem solves itself. :sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad