GDT: Game 22 | Columbus @ Winnipeg | 8 PM EST

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
This was totally Korpi tonight. He was outstanding as Rimer would say. Laine and the first line with two great goals and some insurance by others, but we won because of Korpi.

Reactions: VT

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Id say the stars of the game in order would be Korpi, Laine, Gaudreau. Im happy for Korpi, I know some or someone felt like we were wanting Korpi to fail but that was never the case. I feel confident speaking for people in saying we want Korpi to succeed and that was a hell of a game by him.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Good job. Jackets 8-0-0 when scoring 4 or more. Too many penalties for my liking, but the PK was good. Still would like to see less shots against, but as long as they still get the win, I'll take it. Good return for Laine.

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
1. Korpisalo
2. Laine (but only because he scored two goals after injury, his play wasn't ideal yet.)
3. Gaudreau

And Peeke in the front of the net... :facepalm:

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
Clearly didn't work against other forwards since KJ was the only one with less than 3 shifts.
It probably comes back to what was mentioned earlier in the thread where Larson says he has to be better defensively. He obviously doesn't trust him enough defensively to run him out in short handed situations, late in games. I don't know if he is right or wrong, but he is going to do what he thinks is best. I am not in a rush with Johnson, and I am guessing they have a plan with how they are developing him, and they seem to be sticking to it. I don't think they are keeping him in the dark, either. As the season progresses, I am guessing, (hoping), they increase his ice time, but there really isn't any rush this year.

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
53C7CACB-01E3-41E6-B258-26CA8E17D4BF.png

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
It probably comes back to what was mentioned earlier in the thread where Larson says he has to be better defensively. He obviously doesn't trust him enough defensively to run him out in short handed situations, late in games. I don't know if he is right or wrong, but he is going to do what he thinks is best. I am not in a rush with Johnson, and I am guessing they have a plan with how they are developing him, and they seem to be sticking to it. I don't think they are keeping him in the dark, either. As the season progresses, I am guessing, (hoping), they increase his ice time, but there really isn't any rush this year.
If they didn't have Sillinger in the lineup this would make little more sense. But there he is playing more minutes every night than Johnson while having all kinds of issues with keeping up with the pace. I don't think he's significantly better or more ready at any aspect of the game than KJ. I wonder what their plan for his development might be and how they assess his current "NHL tools", given the bizarre "confidence concerns and detail issues" they've publicly expressed regarding KJ.

Reactions: majormajor

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Id say the stars of the game in order would be Korpi, Laine, Gaudreau. Im happy for Korpi, I know some or someone felt like we were wanting Korpi to fail but that was never the case. I feel confident speaking for people in saying we want Korpi to succeed and that was a hell of a game by him.

I must say you should probably speak for yourself. Sure, there have been SOME who have defended Korpisalo, but, the numbers are ridiculously small.

Plenty of people have been OVERLY critical of his play and DOWNRIGHT disrespectful. As predicted, everything WRONG said about Korpisalo (along with Elvis) will be quickly forgotten.

Most people going into the year were trying to claim he was an AHL level goalie and many questioned why the team even brought him back. Some of the most positive Korpisalo responses expressed the reason was more of a “favor” to him from the CBJ, instead of him actually being a GOOD goalie.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I must say you should probably speak for yourself. Sure, there have been SOME who have defended Korpisalo, but, the numbers are ridiculously small.

Plenty of people have been OVERLY critical of his play and DOWNRIGHT disrespectful. As predicted, everything WRONG said about Korpisalo (along with Elvis) will be quickly forgotten.

Most people going into the year were trying to claim he was an AHL level goalie and many questioned why the team even brought him back. Some of the most positive Korpisalo responses expressed the reason was more of a “favor” to him from the CBJ, instead of him actually being a GOOD goalie.
Overly critical and downright disrespectful is a bit dramatic. It was well within reason to question why he was brought back. He was coming off a significant injury, took a 50% pay cut to come back here, and had only had 1 season out of 6 after his rookie year with a save % above .91

He has struggled. He's playing well right now. He has played well in the past. He has also played pretty poorly in the past. He might keep playing well. He might start struggling again next week. Nobody knows. Tonight was 1 game. The same can be said for any goaltender on this team.

I'm glad he's playing well. I'm glad when any goalie on this team is playing well. I think the same can be said for anyone on this board. I've never seen anyone get pissed off because a goalie who might not be their first choice on their team was having success. Well, maybe nobody.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
I don't remember ever Laine got two 5 on 5 passes from his linemates in the game, including especially Winnipeg times, this is remarkable!

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021

I agree, Korpi gets so underrated and too harshly criticized by some who refuse to see his value. Kinda like some do with Laine.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013

Maybe, but IMO it's not far fetched that giving him a deal after last year was partly about doing him a solid. He had a horrible season and had hip surgery, if the Jackets had not signed him, I'm not sure he'd be playing in the NHL. That said I don't think that was the only reason (if a reason at all) and I don't think they would've signed him if they didn't believe he could be a good goalie still.

Both him and Tarasov have been quite good, .908 & .912 is nothing to sneeze at playing behind that team defense, even if it has improved from the absolute low point. Too bad can't say the same about the supposed #1 guy, but hopefully Elvis redeems himself.

As for the first part, hockey fans being bipolar and all about "what have you done for me lately", who would've guessed? :) But isn't it also a good thing that people change opinions when he actually plays well? Hope he stays healthy and keeps it up, watching him play I've thought there's still room for improvement just by getting into 100% gameshape. I'm also fairly convinced he's changed his game & technique a bit and still in the process of getting completely at ease with the changes.

EDIT: Btw. I'm not basing this on having great insight into his game and seeing changes compared to the past, but just on his demeanor, mainly I see him being very particular about angles, my *guess* is it's because it's something he's been working on. He's been good with them, I just get the vibe it's something he's really focusing on and putting an effort into being calm, to the point it sometimes seems he stays with an angle even after he WANTS to me moving. The other thing is play around the posts, he's been stumbling a bit and looking like he's not so confident with them, which made me wonder if he's changed technique there or just a bit rusty (or both). Would actually be interesting to hear from someone who has watched him longer. Watching goalies with that kind of eye is new to me, I always used to judge them just with intuition, based on how much confidence I have in a goalie. I haven't given up on that, just trying to add to it :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Farmboy Patty

MoeTheHobo

Jan 24, 2017
f*** PLDouche, he scores at least one tonight, though. Jets are playing their backup tonight, which is good since we'll need at least four to overcome our defensive breakdowns.
This was actually quite impressive

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2