GDT: Game 22 - Avs @ Flyers - ...And Justus For All - 5PM

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well, context is everything. The Avs, statistically, are playing elite-level defense. But we know upon seeing the games that they give up a few really big scoring chances due to a catastrophic defensive breakdown, whether it's a bad turnover, a missed coverage, or the mere existence of Kurtis MacDermid on the ice.

So this isn't ALL on the goalies. But a lot of it is. Even the best defensive teams in hockey history yielded prime scoring chances on occasion. That's when a big save is needed by the goalie. Avs goalies are simply not coming up with them.

This is nothing new unfortunately. The Avs' record around this time last season (adjusted for the weird schedule and what not) was virtually identical, and the same problems persisted--backup who was not getting the job done, and pedestrian efforts from the team's top players. It should turn around soon enough, but if I'm Joe I'm weighing all options at this point. The current projected tandem is too inconsistent and too injury prone to trust, and Jonas Johansson is simply not an option going forward, even as a #3.

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
LOL we all know why you had to resort to that stat for argument :laugh:

Why not show his sv% in those last 10 games. Or his xGA vs. actual Goals Against. Or his GSAA?
I actually did already. That Ottawa game skewed his stats so hard. Believe it or not he’d have a .917 if you took that game out.

Attachments

• 37CDF629-9725-4F83-98A0-63E872595012.jpeg
    37CDF629-9725-4F83-98A0-63E872595012.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 8

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I actually did already. That Ottawa game skewed his stats so hard. Believe it or not he’d have a .917 if you took that game out.

Bottom line, the Avs have had some terrible breakdowns, but Kuemper has also not been nearly consistent enough so far to be the backstop of a contending team. This isn't a huge either/or scenario, but it's clear he needs to be better, and I think he will be in due time.

The real point of frustration is that once again the backup is not getting the job done. And this is once again something that was completely and totally preventable. Avs just don't seem capable as an organization to evaluate goalies properly, and that's a huge problem.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Bottom line, the Avs have had some terrible breakdowns, but Kuemper has also not been nearly consistent enough so far to be the backstop of a contending team. This isn't a huge either/or scenario, but it's clear he needs to be better, and I think he will be in due time.

The real point of frustration is that once again the backup is not getting the job done. And this is once again something that was completely and totally preventable. Avs just don't seem capable as an organization to evaluate goalies properly, and that's a huge problem.

It's easy to say in retrospect but I don't believe there many other options that could replace Francouz (when healthy) this offseason. From all reports Francouz was suppose to be healthy, I can't blame Joe for trusting the medical staff. It wasn't too long ago we were praising Joe for fixing our goaltending woes in one offseason with having Varly, Gru, and Francouz. I've said this previously, but what's happening now is basically the worst case scenario.

A comparable replacement to Francouz would've been Hill or Raanta, who both got 2 x 2 this offseason. IMO, neither of them are clear upgrades (both health or skill wise) to Francouz.

Reactions: flyfysher

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton

I mean he hasn’t been good I agree but the fact that some of you are writing him off after 15 games with a weird schedule where we had multiple huge breaks is just laughable. He hasn’t even had a chance to truly settle in yet and some of you are already writing him off even after he had a great 5 game stretch.

Reactions: Alienblood

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I mean he hasn’t been good I agree but the fact that some of you are writing him off after 15 games with a weird schedule where we had multiple huge breaks is just laughable. He hasn’t even had a chance to truly settle in yet and some of you are already writing him off even after he had a great 5 game stretch.

Well, I certainly share in the frustration. I don't know if anyone is "writing him off" so much as admitting that he hasn't been good thus far, and is even more injury prone than the last guy to boot.

But I can only speak for myself--the only guy I'm writing off is Johanssen. If the Avs continue with him as the insurance policy for two injury-prone netminders, they're f***ed.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Nothing shocking here really. Should be noted that EJ was the worst possession player on the team at 30.3, Megna in very limited minutes not much better at 30.7, and Logan O'Connor was actually really bad in this category at 34.8. Behind those three were JJ and Jost. Best play drivers were the usual suspects, the top four defenders and top two lines.

One thing I noticed is that Newhook's Corsi was just above the even mark at 51.85, but when you measure his Fenwick rating, it jumps up to 60. What to take from that? Not much really, just that he drove play at an even higher rate if you discount blocked shots.

And just so ya know I'm not all about fancy stats, despite the fact that Mikko put up great possession metrics, I was not very impressed with his game last night. He was downright lethargic in the defensive zone for long stretches. And while I can see why O'Connor's possession #s can be rather erratic, he's always a net positive when he takes the ice.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Team Season Totals - Natural Stat Trick

Nothing shocking here really. Should be noted that EJ was the worst possession player on the team at 30.3, Megna in very limited minutes not much better at 30.7, and Logan O'Connor was actually really bad in this category at 34.8. Behind those three were JJ and Jost. Best play drivers were the usual suspects, the top four defenders and top two lines.

One thing I noticed is that Newhook's Corsi was just above the even mark at 51.85, but when you measure his Fenwick rating, it jumps up to 60. What to take from that? Not much really, just that he drove play at an even higher rate if you discount blocked shots.

And just so ya know I'm not all about fancy stats, despite the fact that Mikko put up great possession metrics, I was not very impressed with his game last night. He was downright lethargic in the defensive zone for long stretches. And while I can see why O'Connor's possession #s can be rather erratic, he's always a net positive when he takes the ice.

EJ had another off game but to be fair he was forced to babysit MacDermid a lot of the night. Nearly every shift MacDermid played was with EJ.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Man do I wish Naz and that little weasel Konecny would have fought. Konecny was taking cheap shots on Av players all night. Then he wants to act like he's gonna do anything against Kadri in a fight with that stupid feint?

Little twerp swears he's tough but he never backs it up and fights anyone tough.

He couldn't even beat up Jordan Eberle in his last fight two years ago, and then he did the same fake tough guy feint for no reason after the linesmen stepped in. This guy would be buried under the ice if he played 20 years ago.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
EJ had another off game but to be fair he was forced to babysit MacDermid a lot of the night. Nearly every shift MacDermid played was with EJ.

I made the argument that pairing EJ with JJ and MacDermid is ruining EJ’s game. He’s not the player he once was where he can carry the play with a bad partner.

I have some serious concerns about EJ overall but things like this are exacerbating the situation.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I made the argument that pairing EJ with JJ and MacDermid is ruining EJ’s game. He’s not the player he once was where he can carry the play with a bad partner.

I have some serious concerns about EJ overall but things like this are exacerbating the situation.

I don't have any concerns with a healthy EJ, but even a healthy EJ in his prime would be in a tough spot with MacDermid.

If your defensive partner is bad enough, there's not much anyone could do to carry the paring. Just mitigate the damage and hope for the best.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad