GDT: Game 21 - Avalanche @ Senators - Spin the Goalie Wheel - 5PM

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
People are really trying to trade a top five NHL player in his prime. This board is something else.

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f4d4b474c645642666d6454776b773d3d2d3936323639313135312e313633623063643732643032353830613238353338363737353230332e676966

Garavar

Nov 27, 2016
Will end with acquiring Fleury at the deadline for the revenge match with the Knights in the conference finals. Of course, he will get injured in Game 1, followed by both Kuemper and Francouz in Game 2, and we'll eventually end up with Hunter Miska in net for the Game 6 decider.

Should traded for Fluery with retention instead of Keumper

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
He's not bad, he's just dumb. And he's a repeat offender, especially in OT. How many times have we seen him try and make a pass like that? Someone needs to tell him that he's not Peter Forsberg.

Forsberg was able to win. MacKinnon needs to understand that there's absolutely nothing that requires him to be fancy. Make the easy plays to win, it is as simple as that. If it occasionally costs you that you end up in shootout instead of winning in overtime, that's completely fine.

Shane Diesel

Jun 8, 2021
Forsberg was able to win. MacKinnon needs to understand that there's absolutely nothing that requires him to be fancy. Make the easy plays to win, it is as simple as that. If it occasionally costs you that you end up in shootout instead of winning in overtime, that's completely fine.
Regular season overtime is pointless and indicative of little.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Regular season, especially for contenders, is good for practicing. MacKinnon failed that practice.

Huh?

The playoffs don't use 3 on 3 overtime.

You're saying regular season OT is good practice for contending teams?

Good practice for something that means absolutely nothing once playoffs start?

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Huh?

The playoffs don't use 3 on 3 overtime.

You're saying regular season OT is good practice for contending teams?

Good practice for something that means absolutely nothing once playoffs start?

I'm saying regular season in its whole everything is good practice for playoffs. Yes you need some points from here and there, but as long as you are above the playoff-line, nothing else matters really there, especially for the contending teams. Teams comes from 18th spot to Stanley Cup Finals etc. it really doesn't matter.

Playoffs can also have 3-on-3 overtimes, sure it needs a couple of penalties, still. But even on 5-on-5 you can't make a stupid pass directly to your opponent to cause a breakaway. It is totally irrelevant how many players there are on the ice if you give your opponent a breakaway.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
That goal by Newhook now is cause for optimism. It seems like he's understanding time/space - speed of the game and better understanding how to use his speed (without over-relying on it). I feel like this is a good sign for him.

Reactions: Kaizer
Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
That goal by Newhook now is cause for optimism. It seems like he's understanding time/space - speed of the game and better understanding how to use his speed (without over-relying on it). I feel like this is a good sign for him.

His effort level is allowing his natural talent to start shining through. If Kadri misses significant time, I want Newhook playing as the 2C, or put together a Nuke-Hook-LOC line that will just our hustle other teams and create offensive opportunities by forcing turnovers.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
His effort level is allowing his natural talent to start shining through. If Kadri misses significant time, I want Newhook playing as the 2C, or put together a Nuke-Hook-LOC line that will just our hustle other teams and create offensive opportunities by forcing turnovers.

Avalanche center depth looks pretty good all-in-all. MacKinnon, Rantanen, Kadri, Newhook, O'Connor has to be one of the best in the entire NHL. Absolutely you are going to play some of them as wingers, but still.

AvsWraith

Jan 21, 2010
Colorado
Give me a break. He was flat in a few games against Vegas. The whole team was. Give it a break.

Flat??? He was pointless in games 3, 4, and 5! Then he whined about how he hasn't won anything in his postgame press conference. Take a wild guess as to why you haven't won anything...

Now everyone knows that you are going to have off games, but you know what great star players do when they are not feeling it offensively? They help out in other ways. They up their defensive game, simplify their play to limit turnovers, win key faceoffs, etc. They don't just pout and whine about it like a spoiled five year old.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
Flat??? He was pointless in games 3, 4, and 5! Then he whined about how he hasn't won anything in his postgame press conference. Take a wild guess as to why you haven't won anything...

Now everyone knows that you are going to have off games, but you know what great star players do when they are not feeling it offensively? They help out in other ways. They up their defensive game, simplify their play to limit turnovers, win key faceoffs, etc. They don't just pout and whine about it like a spoiled five year old.

In 2020 against Stars in the second round he was good, but then going back to 2019, he had one multipoint game against Sharks. And he had three -2 or worse games there. Those are not good enough numbers either when the context is "top-3 player in world".

Call me a homer, but Toews was good in the series against Vegas. I'm not going to buy the "whole team was flat"-argument.

Reactions: AvsWraith

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
If that's the case, he totally sucks. If I have a hockey player that I'm paying six million per year on ice during overtime, I absolutely want him focused on that game, shift and play.
Eh

I shouldn’t have said anything because I don’t really follow this board anymore, but I don’t think this is necessarily accurate. I’d agree, if he is thinking too much later on in the season during some meaningful games or in the playoffs he’s not looking at things right.

Reactions: Arto Kilponen

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I haven’t been able to watch many games this year or follow this board anymore as much as I’d like to, but it sounds like Makar and Mackinnon need to figure out a way to play together

2+2=5 kind of thing

Last edited:

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I haven’t been able to watch many games this year or follow this board anymore as much as I’d like to, but it seems to me that Makar and Mackinnon need to figure out a way to play together

I agree. Both of them seems to make occasionally too risky plays and they cost goals and points. Now ok, sure, if you have to give away points to someone, December at Ottawa is a fantastic place to do that. You make mistakes, you try to learn from them and you move forward. I really don't think this lost point will cost them a season or anything like that. If this got MacKinnon to think that he has to take a better play there, that's good.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I agree. Both of them seems to make occasionally too risky plays and they cost goals and points. Now ok, sure, if you have to give away points to someone, December at Ottawa is a fantastic place to do that. You make mistakes, you try to learn from them and you move forward. I really don't think this lost point will cost them a season or anything like that. If this got MacKinnon to think that he has to take a better play there, that's good.
I don’t know if it has continued on this year, but Makar seems to play better when Mackinnon is injured. He’s the guy when Mackinnon is out and he does a good job. If we could figure out a way for him to play this way along with Mackinnon so they are both dominant at the same time you’d be talking up a good recipe.

Arto Kilponen

Oct 29, 2006
Helsinki, Finland
I don’t know if it has continued on this year, but Makar seems to play better when Mackinnon is injured. He’s the guy when Mackinnon is out and he does a good job. If we could figure out a way for him to play this way along with Mackinnon so they are both dominant at the same time you’d be talking up a good recipe.

This is a very good point and might be the best I've heard so far. I mean, Avalanche is losing a lot of the games that MacKinnon plays. Could it really be that those two are "out of sync"? That they simply don't play well together? Like both enjoy being the primary man and that's where it falls apart?

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
This is a very good point and might be the best I've heard so far. I mean, Avalanche is losing a lot of the games that MacKinnon plays. Could it really be that those two are "out of sync"? That they simply don't play well together? Like both enjoy being the primary man and that's where it falls apart?
But it worked fine last year when the played together 5v5 and PP1.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad