GDT: Game 21 - Avalanche @ Senators - Spin the Goalie Wheel - 5PM

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sorry but I have to rant. This isn’t why the Avs lost, but I am so damn tired of NHL referees being absolute shit at their jobs every night.

The other night NAK gets called for “Unsportsmanlike Conduct” for dropping his gloves. Cleary they wanted to give him an instigator but he never threw any punches. Dropping you gloves isn’t a f***ing penalty you morons.

Then Landy gets called for Boarding because Toffoli is half his size and lost his edge with his right skate. Landy didn’t even shove him, he just rode him into the boards lightly and Toffoli fell on his own.

Then Jost gets called for goalie interference even though they called Romanov for slashing him and then Allen charged at Jost and head butted him.

Tonight they give the Sens a goal even though the net was knocked off because they deemed it interference. That’s what the interference penalty is for assholes. What a stupid rule if that’s in the rulebook. Not sure I’ve seen that before. Just give them a penalty shot if you want. How you gonna give them a goal?

Then Girard gets called for the lightest love tap ever on Tyler Ennis who can’t even stay on his feet when no one touches him, like when he fell a few second prior when MacKinnon never touched hm.

Then they let Forsberg the goalie slash Jost on the hands while he's all alone in front. Everyone gets called for slashing now except goalies with bigger sticks when they’re playing the Avs apparently?

Then they take away an Avs goal which looked like it might have been offsides, but it also didn't look conclusive to me. If it's close the tie should go to the scoring team, but instead it went to the team/fans/media that would have complained more. Doubt that's a coincidence.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone get a penalty for dropping their gloves and not throwing a punch and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a goal awarded when the net is off, but the stupid f***ing Zebras know the Avs smaller market, their coach who never criticizes the refs, and the non existent Colorado media aren’t gonna say shit, so they made two calls I’ve never seen before two games in a row.

Meanwhile, the language in the memo given to everyone in the NHL is you can be fined $25K for, "demeaning displays that are critical of officiating." What a joke.

Stupid NHL Zebras are the most protected species on Earth and they suck at their job. They literally screw up multiple times every day at work and since there’s no accountability for them, there’s no pressure for them to actually do better.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Sorry but I have to rant. This isn’t why the Avs lost, but I am so damn tired of NHL referees being absolute shit at their jobs every night.

The other night NAK gets called for “Unsportsmanlike Conduct” for dropping his gloves. Cleary they wanted to give him an instigator but he never threw any punches. Dropping you gloves isn’t a f***ing penalty you morons.

Then Landy gets called for Boarding because Toffoli is half his size and lost his edge with his right skate. Landy didn’t even shove him, he just rode him into the boards lightly and Toffoli fell on his own.

Then Jost gets called for goalie interference even though they called Romanov for slashing him and then Allen charged at Jost and head butted him.

Tonight they give the Sens a goal even though the net was knocked off because they deemed it interference. That’s what the interference penalty is for assholes. What a stupid rule if that’s in the rulebook. Not sure I’ve seen that before. Just give them a penalty shot if you want. How you gonna give them a goal?

Then Girard gets called for the lightest love tap ever on Tyler Ennis who can’t even stay on his feet when no one touches him, like when he fell a few second prior when MacKinnon never touched hm.

Then they let Forsberg the goalie slash Jost on the hands while he's all alone in front. Everyone gets called for slashing now except goalies with bigger sticks when they’re playing the Avs apparently?

Then they take away an Avs goal which looked like it might have been offsides, but it also didn't look conclusive to me. If it's close the tie should go to the scoring team, but instead it went to the team/fans/media that would have complained more. Doubt that's a coincidence.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone get a penalty for dropping their gloves and not throwing a punch and I don’t think I’ve ever seen a goal awarded when the net is off, but the stupid f***ing Zebras know the Avs smaller market, their coach who never criticizes the refs, and the non existent Colorado media aren’t gonna say shit, so they made two calls I’ve never seen before two games in a row.

Meanwhile, the language in the memo given to everyone in the NHL is you can be fined $25K for, "demeaning displays that are critical of officiating." What a joke.

Stupid NHL Zebras are the most protected species on Earth and they suck at their job. They literally screw up multiple times every day at work and since there’s no accountability for them, there’s no pressure for them to actually do better.
Nice rant. Probably one of your best posts ever.

Accurate and on the mark.

The call/justification for awarding the goal was ridiculous. Maybe some moron changed the rule book. If so, then these clowns are way, way in too deep into minutia.

I can say with complete confidence that the goal would not have counted as recently as 2 years ago but every year, the GM's and Owners and other buffoons try to manipulate the rule book to their own advantage. (It usually turns out to be a detriment.)

Bednar gets no respect from the refs because he hasn't earned any.

Reactions: Foppa2118

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nice rant. Probably one of your best posts ever.

Accurate and on the mark.

The call/justification for awarding the goal was ridiculous. Maybe some moron changed the rule book. If so, then these clowns are way, way in too deep into minutia.

I can say with complete confidence that the goal would not have counted as recently as 2 years ago but every year, the GM's and Owners and other buffoons try to manipulate the rule book to their own advantage. (It usually turns out to be a detriment.)

Bednar gets no respect from the refs because he hasn't earned any.

I think Bednar gets respect in the normal sense, because he treats the refs with a lot of respect, but I think he probably loses a lot of close calls in key moments because the refs know he won't embarrass them by yelling at them from the bench or criticizing them after the game.

The Avs draw a lot of penalties but I think that's more due to how fast they usually play, rather than how nice Bednar is to the refs. Their speed and skill forces the opposition to make a lot of mistakes. Especially the normally automatic penalties of tripping and slashing.

But the penalty issue is very similar to the face-off issue IMO, in the sense that they only matter in key moments. And the Avs seem to be on the losing end of a lot of key moment penalties.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
I think Bednar gets respect in the normal sense, because he treats the refs with a lot of respect, but I think he probably loses a lot of close calls in key moments because the refs know he won't embarrass them by yelling at them from the bench or criticizing them after the game.

The Avs draw a lot of penalties but I think that's more due to how fast they usually play, rather than how nice Bednar is to the refs. Their speed and skill forces the opposition to make a lot of mistakes. Especially the normally automatic penalties of tripping and slashing.

But the penalty issue is very similar to the face-off issue IMO, in the sense that they only matter in key moments. And the Avs seem to be on the losing end of a lot of key moment penalties.

By earn their respect I simply mean he hasn't won anything that brings that level of the official's respect.

I'm not denigrating him. But look at how Stanley Cup winning coaches are treated and you'll notice there's a whole different degree of respect and latitude that these coaches receive from the officials.

They are pretty darn successful at arguing for the "next call". And they usually get it. OR, the style their team plays is given wider discretion when penalties are (or aren't) being called.

Bednar hasn't earned that yet.

I'll also mention that select players earn reputations with the ref's over the years that work for or against them.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I stayed away from this forum last night after the game because I was too angry and I needed to cool off.

First the way they were playing was so frustrating. Dumb plays after dumb plays.

Then that goal they allowed when the net was off. At most this should have been an interference call. As far as I am concerned the only time a goal should be called if the net is already off when the puck crosses the line is when the defending team intentionally pushes the net off to force a stoppage of play and the puck still crosses the line.

Then there was the obvious non-call on the inference on Mack when the dman clearly blocked him well after Mack dumped the puck in. These obvious ones are always called on the Avs.

Then there was the lazy play from Landy at the blue line trying to keep the puck onside. All that was needed is a little bit of effort to get there in time.

And then came the play that most of us knew was going to happen: Mack making a dumb play in OT 3v3. Forcing dumb plays has become automatic from him in OT and on PP as well. On the day he came back from injury in an interview he said he was glad he was back to help the team staying hot and, I quote: "making better decisions". I don't care how many points he has since coming back. Making better decisions has yet to happen after all those years. Every year I hope that he will be getting smarter with the puck and every year I keep getting disappointed. This is who he is at this point. A player that keeps making risky passes or try to go through multiple players instead of making the safe play. He is just incapable of learning from his mistakes. I don't think he has the brain necessary to adjust his game once he loses his speed when he gets older. That next contract could become an anchor by then.

There is no way Bednar hasn't try to get these risky plays out of his game. I can't really blame Bednar for using him in OT because Mack is a star and it could backfire but at one point he will need to sit him and play the guys that understand how OT should be played.

/rant

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad