Post-Game Talk: GAME 21 - A SHOCKER in Columbus - Blue Jackets 5 BRUINS 2

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
It will not be fun to watch if they play like the last 3 games when taking on the Leafs. The Leafs top scorers will see the defensive woes and it will be embarassing. The way they are playing right now they will have trouble defeating any NHL opponent.

It also shows that all these re-threads we brought in are starting to show their true value. With Shattenkirk, JVR, Brown etc. they are not close to filling the void left by the departing players. I think Lucic really helped the 4th line but now unforeseen circumstances have ended his presence in the lineup.

It going to be a difficult season and the goaltending needs to be A+ or things will not go so well.

Shattenkirk replaced Clifton. Clifton has been terrible this season in Buffalo.

JVR replaced Hall, who is out for the season.

Brown? He's in the minors. Was a "just in case everyone is hurt" signing.

In the current 3 game losing streak, Brown & Shattenkirk only played 1 game each. JVR played in the last 2. It's been the Bruins top players that have fallen flat on their faces in this stretch.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

In the current 3 game losing streak, Brown & Shattenkirk only played 1 game each. JVR played in the last 2. It's been the Bruins top players that have fallen flat on their faces in this stretch.

You are right- it's not the role players and fringe guys that are the problem right now.

Healthy Wrap

May 15, 2014
Neely’s Kitchen

Bang on

Compare Lindholm’s play at this point last season (where he looked like a legit Norris candidate at times) to today. Night and day difference. It looks like he never completely got over that foot injury. Skating isn’t what it used to be.

Then you’ve got Marchand, whose play has completely fallen off a cliff. Which is sort of to be expected with the injuries he’s accumulated over the years and the amount of games he’s played.

Zacha has been, to no one’s surprise, underwhelming with his elevated role in the lineup. Same goes for Debrusk, who hasn’t done much since losing Marchand and Bergeron as linemates.

The role players aren’t the problem. Coyle has been excellent. Young guys like Beecher and Poitras have been nice surprises. Even the vets they signed to cheap contracts like JVR and Shattenkirk have been serviceable.

They’re getting next to nothing from their top guys now. And when the goalies don’t play out of their minds, these are the results you can expect.

Absurdity

light switch connoisseur
Jul 6, 2012
This should have been their response game after their two previous blowout losses. They responded by getting blown out. Let's see how they respond Thursday. If the same thing happens, something has to change.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

COLUMBUS, Ohio — The Blue Jackets beat the Bruins Monday night and it was their Red Wave that carried them to the 5-2 win at Nationwide Arena.

Columbus made history by becoming the first NHL team to have four Russians score in the same game. The rising stars continually capitalized on a Boston team that has gotten into a disturbing pattern of sloppy play in all three zones.

The Blue Jackets took a 2-0 lead early in the second period on goals from Dmitri Voronkov (jam shot at the near post past Jeremy Swayman) and Ivan Provorov (whistler from the right dot with comrade Voronkov setting a perfect screen).

Looking for a change in momentum, Jim Montgomery pulled Swayman (17 saves) not long after Provorov’s tally.

“It was just a decision I made to try and slow the game down and also let the entire team know that we need to pick it up, we need to go north,” said Montgomery.

Judging by Swayman’s body language, it was pretty clear he disagreed with the move.

“He asked me why, and I said we’ll discuss it [Tuesday],” Montgomery said.

Though the Bruins showed a little more jump after the switch to Linus Ullmark, the spark that Montgomery was looking for never materialized.

“I didn’t look too much into it, but we are super confident in both our goalies, so let’s try to get a little spark there,” defenseman Hampus Lindholm said. “We were a little bit maybe dead there, so we got going a little bit, but we need to find a way to string 60 minutes together.”

That’s been a tough task for the Bruins since last week in Florida. Boston (14-4-3) has lost three straight and has allowed 17 goals in that stretch.

“I thought every part of our game was tough, to be honest. I thought we had a pretty good start to the first eight to 10 minutes, and then they slowly but surely started to take over the game,” Montgomery said. “I thought we lost stick battles. I don’t think we were physical. So, there were a lot of areas of our game that we just flat out weren’t good enough.”

“I got to review the tape and I mean, the message is we’re not playing to our standard that we believe is how we should play with the puck and without the puck,” Montgomery said. “So, there’s a lot of things to address and move forward, but we’ve got to move forward.”

Lindholm said there’s no time to dwell and that he’s “already focused on the next one.” That’s the advice he’ll give his teammates, too.

“There’s a few things we’re going to go through as a team that we’ve got to learn [from] when we get back as a team with the coaches and me personally,” he said. “And what I would tell any young guy in this league is, it’s 82 games, you just come up [and be ready] for the next game. Everyone is in this league for a reason: they’re good players. You have to get back the next game and show why.”

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
“I thought every part of our game was tough, to be honest. I thought we had a pretty good start to the first eight to 10 minutes, and then they slowly but surely started to take over the game,” Montgomery said. “I thought we lost stick battles. I don’t think we were physical. So, there were a lot of areas of our game that we just flat out weren’t good enough.”

If Monty doesn't think the Bruins were physical, then that kind of blows a hole in the theory some are sharing where they think he's pushing "soft" hockey.

I think Bruins fans have been spoiled the last couple seasons where they haven't really seen what a regular season slump looks like.

I'm sure at some point they'll rattle off a 5 game winning streak and all the sky is falling crew will be silent until the next hiccup

Reactions: HumBucker and lopey

Patdud

Mar 23, 2022
New Hampshire
Id like to see these lines personally (not sure if cap allows, probably doesn't). Need to infuse some juice and another natural RW into the top six. Putting Marchand with pasta makes Marchand force plays and Pasta become lazy. split them back up please, they feed bad habits off each other too much.

JVR-Zacha-Pasta
Marchand-Poitras-Lysell
DeBrusk-Coyle-Frederic
Lauko-Beecher-Steen

Lohrei-McAvoy
Gryz - Carlo
Lindholm-Shattenkirk

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Bang on

Compare Lindholm’s play at this point last season (where he looked like a legit Norris candidate at times) to today. Night and day difference. It looks like he never completely got over that foot injury. Skating isn’t what it used to be.

Then you’ve got Marchand, whose play has completely fallen off a cliff. Which is sort of to be expected with the injuries he’s accumulated over the years and the amount of games he’s played.

Zacha has been, to no one’s surprise, underwhelming with his elevated role in the lineup. Same goes for Debrusk, who hasn’t done much since losing Marchand and Bergeron as linemates.

The role players aren’t the problem. Coyle has been excellent. Young guys like Beecher and Poitras have been nice surprises. Even the vets they signed to cheap contracts like JVR and Shattenkirk have been serviceable.

They’re getting next to nothing from their top guys now. And when the goalies don’t play out of their minds, these are the results you can expect.
Let's face it maybe we are just not good enough. You do not have to concentrate on too many players to shut down Boston's offense. We have to play error free or we just cannot overcome the obstacles.

Last year we could not accomplish the ultimate goal and now we have a lot less talent. Maybe some of the so called stars are trying too hard to compensate for the lack of talent.

Last edited:

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Id like to see these lines personally (not sure if cap allows, probably doesn't). Need to infuse some juice and another natural RW into the top six. Putting Marchand with pasta makes Marchand force plays and Pasta become lazy. split them back up please, they feed bad habits off each other too much.

JVR-Zacha-Coyle
Marchand-Poitras-Lysell
DeBrusk-Coyle-Frederic
Lauko-Beecher-Steen

Lohrei-McAvoy
Gryz - Carlo
Lindholm-Shattenkirk
You're benching Pasta in favor of 2 Coyles? :huh:

• Wow
Reactions: Ladyfan and BMC

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
If Monty doesn't think the Bruins were physical, then that kind of blows a hole in the theory some are sharing where they think he's pushing "soft" hockey.

I think Bruins fans have been spoiled the last couple seasons where they haven't really seen what a regular season slump looks like.

I'm sure at some point they'll rattle off a 5 game winning streak and all the sky is falling crew will be silent until the next hiccup
Well, if "they" are silent when winning then doesn't that make sense?
Oh, and IMO, Monty seems lost and grasping at straws like he did in the playoffs. We'll see because this is his second big test.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub

JVR-Zacha-Coyle
Marchand-Poitras-Lysell
DeBrusk-Coyle-Frederic
Lauko-Beecher-Steen

Lohrei-McAvoy
Gryz - Carlo
Lindholm-Shattenkirk
Two Coyles? Is Charlie gonna be cloned lol? I know it was just a mistake but I'd like to know which spot CC would be in, and who did you mean to say for the other?

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
This roster is now performing at the level many people during the pre-season thought it would perform at over the course of the season -- wildcard contender. The hot start to the season was fool's gold apparently. This isn't last year's team where they can coast some games and still pull wins out of their behinds in the 3rd pd. They simply lost too much off of the roster over the summer to be able to do that.

The ridiculous play of the goalies was masking a whole lot the first 18 games. When a goalie is making a lot of highlight reel saves each game then that's a great sign of good goaltending, but not a good sign of great defense. The Bs D and/or the PK have looked very poor the past few games on top of the goalies not making the kinds of heroic saves they had been previously making.

The offense isn't clicking as well as it had been either. Hoping that this is just a slump that normal teams go through. Many of us want the team to be fresh come playoff time and snicker at anyone who gets excited about the President's Trophy. Hard to go all-out and be sharp every regular season game and still have something left for the playoffs. Perhaps a little bit of letting the foot of the gas during the season is not a horrible thing.

Doesn't mean there aren't visible issues on the roster. Several posters have done a good job of pointing out flaws, so I won't bother going into that. But, 1) most Bs fans realized this would likely be a down year due to the loss of Bergy and Krejci, etc. 2) DS went all-in last season and was in a cap crunch this season, so not much room for him to maneuver at the moment. Can't just go out and start handpicking tough players with skill.

Going into the season I had zero expectations of being a Cup contender. Making the playoffs would have been fine with me given the roster. This slump after a torrid season start changes nothing. It's frustrating to lose 3 in a row, especially one of them being to Columbus, however this team is not as bad as they've looked in the mini slump and not as good as their hot start led some to believe.

Next summer the Bs will be in a much better cap situation and will be able to make more meaningful roster changes. This season I will take what I can get and realize there's only so far this group can go, and there is only so much the GM can do until the cap situation gets better.

Hopefully these players can circle the wagons and get back on track sooner rather than later. Crazy how good the Bs started with several rookies in the lineup and new vets sprinkled in as well. Not like these guys all of a sudden forgot how to play winning hokey over the past week.

Marchand's leadership and Monty's coaching will be in the spotlight now that the Bs are showing that they are human once again. We shall see how they handle adversity.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

JVR-Zacha-Coyle
Marchand-Poitras-Lysell
DeBrusk-Coyle-Frederic
Lauko-Beecher-Steen

Lohrei-McAvoy
Gryz - Carlo
Lindholm-Shattenkirk
Boy Coyle gonna be tired after that game.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario

Haven been pleased with quite a few games this season before this slump that I thought goalies stole or kept them in it ,the Florida game they deserved to be down 3 or 4 goals in the first ,Tampa had almost 50 shots on them .

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
How bad can you be when only allowing 2 goals on 19 shots?

First goal was bad, but when he was pulled I was shocked.
Ok I think was horrible move

I’ll play the role of how I would react if the goalies

1. Swayman- pissed

2. Ullmark - irked and after Rangers game need a little time to decompress and reset

Montgomery has made some incredible bad decisions when any adversity shows

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Watched the highlights from the Sens and Panthers. The Bruins should take a look on how to standup for your teammates
Have to respect the Panthers' dog mentality. Said it last night, but will say it again -- if Pasta poked the Panthers' goalie a couple times like he did in Columbus last night he would have been obliterated by all 5 Panther skaters swarming on him.

Bs fans were ticked about the lack of response toward Gudbranson coming at Pasta, but I was thinking more about how Columbus fans should be ticked at Gudbranson for taking it so easy on Pasta. Allowing an opposing player to stand there that long and make any physical contact with the goalie after the whistle is a cardinal sin in my book. You have to go into seek and destroy mode when something like that is taking place with your goalie, no matter who is at fault. The pack mentality of teams such as FLA is admirable. Wish the Bs had more of that. Don't have to be a goon or anything close to it to have that mentality.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Ok I think was horrible move

I’ll play the role of how I would react if the goalies

1. Swayman- pissed

2. Ullmark - irked and after Rangers game need a little time to decompress and reset

Montgomery has made some incredible bad decisions when any adversity shows
It was indeed a bad move. Swayman was playing fine. Second goal he never saw because the Jacket shot it between his own player's legs with Sway screened. Not Swayman's fault that the Jackets were on pace to get off over 50 SOG at that point in the game. Bs D was pretty bad when Sway was in (equally as bad when Ullmark came in).

Early in the game. Only down 2 goals. Other goalie just got shelled last game. Made no sense to pull Swayman. I understand how sometimes you pull a goalie to fire your team up, but Monty's move last night so early in the game when the goalie was playing fine reeked of desperation and stupidity. Swayman had every right to be mad as a hornet. Posted about it in the GDT -- I was pretty fired up as well.

Likely not a big deal in the big scheme of things, but irritating nonetheless.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
It was indeed a bad move. Swayman was playing fine. Second goal he never saw because the Jacket shot it between his own player's legs with Sway screened. Not Swayman's fault that the Jackets were on pace to get off over 50 SOG at that point in the game. Bs D was pretty bad when Sway was in (equally as bad when Ullmark came in).

Early in the game. Only down 2 goals. Other goalie just got shelled last game. Made no sense to pull Swayman. I understand how sometimes you pull a goalie to fire your team up, but Monty's move last night so early in the game when the goalie was playing fine reeked of desperation and stupidity. Swayman had every right to be mad as a hornet. Posted about it in the GDT -- I was pretty fired up as well.

Likely not a big deal in the big scheme of things, but irritating nonetheless.
Great post

Ullmark is 30 and kind of wonky body and just was under seige 2 days ago - he should be chilling and resetting and getting focused for Thursday v Sharks

It’s a long season- Monty starting to concern me

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I hope the team had today off and tomorrow an upbeat practice covering structure and PK and 4 or 5 plays on the screen showing break downs and poor coverage to go over - against what they were doing when right

If Monty had a practice bad idea

Let them clear heads and house after Thanksgiving

Tell them to chill out last 4 days behind and refocus

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
Have to respect the Panthers' dog mentality. Said it last night, but will say it again -- if Pasta poked the Panthers' goalie a couple times like he did in Columbus last night he would have been obliterated by all 5 Panther skaters swarming on him.

Bs fans were ticked about the lack of response toward Gudbranson coming at Pasta, but I was thinking more about how Columbus fans should be ticked at Gudbranson for taking it so easy on Pasta. Allowing an opposing player to stand there that long and make any physical contact with the goalie after the whistle is a cardinal sin in my book. You have to go into seek and destroy mode when something like that is taking place with your goalie, no matter who is at fault. The pack mentality of teams such as FLA is admirable. Wish the Bs had more of that. Don't have to be a goon or anything close to it to have that mentality.
The fact that it was pasta is probably the reason. EG was like “wtf are you doing man” and that’s all it took.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Wait so Gryz comes back and they look like shit? How many seasons are the B’s going to throw away insisting he is the answer to anything except 7th dman.
yet people think hes a first pair D with mcavoy.
also. mcavoy playing like a 3rd pair D. huge disappointment. him and lindholm.

Clifton was a product of the system
he was. he would be much better on this roster than buffalo.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
yet people think hes a first pair D with mcavoy.
also. mcavoy playing like a 3rd pair D. huge disappointment. him and lindholm.
Well if Calgary would just do a Gryz for Hanifin swap….so it’s all their fault.

I joke but…hmmm what else do the Flames need that the Bs have???

Anyway agree, and the difference between 1st half 27 last year vs now is night and day. What the hell happened there? Wanna say he’s hurt but seems he sometimes doesn’t pack his brain for the ride to the rink either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad