GDT: Game #21 - 11.22.14 - vs Los Angeles - 7:00 PM - FS Southwest - 1310 AM - 96.7 FM

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
Klingberg - Amazing
Demers - Fantastic
Benn - Great game
Jokipakka - Not good
Oleksiak - More sheltering.
Jordie - Don't move
Cole - Old man hands
Goligoski - Nah
Hemsky - Meet Brett Ritchie

Mr Misty

The Irons Are Back!
Feb 20, 2012
As much as we complain about the Stars playing great and then poorly, part of that is on the Kings as well. It isn't like the Stars were taking the Kings' best shot and winning 4-0. On balance a 1 goal margin is probably pretty fair, because we are just not as good a team as LA.

I also think Jordie should come in for Jyrki next game, that 3rd pair and the 4th line got owned pretty hard.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
As much as we complain about the Stars playing great and then poorly, part of that is on the Kings as well. It isn't like the Stars were taking the Kings' best shot and winning 4-0. On balance a 1 goal margin is probably pretty fair, because we are just not as good a team as LA.

I also think Jordie should come in for Jyrki next game, that 3rd pair and the 4th line got owned pretty hard.

Hate to say it but I agree. Actually, I think we should call up Ritchie, and trade Cole or Horcoff for a similar age Dman with an expiring contract if we can, but I figure that out in the trade thread...

On second thought, let's not get carried away, Joki had 1 bad game against a good smart hockey team. If it happens next game out, then maybe do what I was saying, switch out him and Jordie, and let Joki go help out the Ahl team because they could use him really bad right now.

FrailSwan

Feb 26, 2012
I have lost my home
This is what I'm struggling with. Jokipakka v. Jordie. Both are not good. If I had to say who's looked worse I'd probably say Jyrki, but then I remember how terrible Jordie was before the scratches. Idk...

MetalGodAOD*

DefendingBigD ‏@DefendingBigD 2m2 minutes ago

Lindy Ruff was very upset after that win. Didn't want to talk about anything good from the first 38 minutes.

Rightfully so.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Rightfully so.

I would be ****ing furious too if I was Ruff. They literally blew a up a 4-0 lead after looking insanely dangerous for 10 minutes.

But hey, JFK always gets his shots in Dallas.

(51 year anniversary, RIP JFK)

3rd Line

Feb 2, 2014
Maybe we just leave Jokipakka + Oleksiak on the bench for the 3rd

Maybe so - but about a dozen messages were incorrect in ASSUMING that the 3rd D-pairing was out there. Check the game tape near the end of the 2nd period - leading up to the Kings 3rd goal.

It was NOT the Big Rig. Instead, it was Mr. "High Hockey IQ" Goligoski who was paired with Jokipakka on that shift. And he made a pinch near the Stars penalty box that lead to the 2 on 1 - and ultimately the King's 3rd goal.

And to call it a pinch is generous. It is really instructive to go back and look at the tape (as long as you have a pot with you to vomit into). With the Kings rushing over their own defensive blue line - and with Goligoski in the neutral zone - closer to the Stars blue line - Goligoski mysteriously skates forward - toward Clifford near the Stars penalty box - with ZERO chance of engaging him or even making any kind of play. His body language suggested complete indecision. That's a bonehead play that your coach would rip you for if you were only playing in Bantams. This is not NHL-level decision making.

One other play made me ask "what in the world could he be thinking". During the 1st period, he was tempted to hold in a loose puck at the offensive blue line (in the middle of the ice) - but he opted to back up (a good choice) and a 3 on 2 resulted that led to the Kings carrying the puck past our bench (Klingberg's side). And as they crossed our blue line, Klingberg contained the play which involved 2 of the 3 Kings near the boards. But for some odd reason Goligoski slid way over to Klingberg's side and left his winger wide open. It's not like he was defending against the King's splitting the D. It was just Goligoski doing that stupid lateral skating he sometimes does unnecessarily and in the process, leaving his responsibility uncovered. We dodged a bullet that time - but it's still scary.

I realize that all of the players make bad choices - it's a fast game. But these 2 examples are signs of a much deeper problem.

Hopefully Lindy sees these shortcomings as well, and starts to decrease Goligoski's ice time accordingly.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
I thought Goligoski played surprisingly physical (for him) and solid defensively I his own zone tonight, but makes some serious mental goofs. I think Oleksiak has actually earned significantly more playing time than he is getting. I'm still baffled as to what's going on there. Is it possible there is something up with that other than just not trusting him. Jordie and Joki have almost always gotten more ice time yet haven't out played him. Yet with the game on the line and every defender available late in the game he trust him enough to be on the pk? Hmm.

My conspiracy theorist mind wonders if maybe he is either being protected from injury (trade discussion) or if Nill has already seen enough and is convinced Big Rig is the future and this might be a ploy to sign him up longterm for cheap? As it is, he should come cheap anyways on a short term based on what Dillon got but playing less than 10 minutes a night doesn't give a lot of negotiating power to his agent.

Just can't figure how you can consistently be better than another Dman but not get 10 minutes of pt... Then get Pk time when it matters most? Mind Boggling to me...

MetalGodAOD*

I agree, riding the top 4 like this isn't sustainable. By Game 60 all our D-men will be out of gas unless Ruff can trust his 3rd pairing. Something's got to give.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Maybe so - but about a dozen messages were incorrect in ASSUMING that the 3rd D-pairing was out there. Check the game tape near the end of the 2nd period - leading up to the Kings 3rd goal.

It was NOT the Big Rig. Instead, it was Mr. "High Hockey IQ" Goligoski who was paired with Jokipakka on that shift. And he made a pinch near the Stars penalty box that lead to the 2 on 1 - and ultimately the King's 3rd goal.

And to call it a pinch is generous. It is really instructive to go back and look at the tape (as long as you have a pot with you to vomit into). With the Kings rushing over their own defensive blue line - and with Goligoski in the neutral zone - closer to the Stars blue line - Goligoski mysteriously skates forward - toward Clifford near the Stars penalty box - with ZERO chance of engaging him or even making any kind of play. His body language suggested complete indecision. That's a bonehead play that your coach would rip you for if you were only playing in Bantams. This is not NHL-level decision making.

One other play made me ask "what in the world could he be thinking". During the 1st period, he was tempted to hold in a loose puck at the offensive blue line (in the middle of the ice) - but he opted to back up (a good choice) and a 3 on 2 resulted that led to the Kings carrying the puck past our bench (Klingberg's side). And as they crossed our blue line, Klingberg contained the play which involved 2 of the 3 Kings near the boards. But for some odd reason Goligoski slid way over to Klingberg's side and left his winger wide open. It's not like he was defending against the King's splitting the D. It was just Goligoski doing that stupid lateral skating he sometimes does unnecessarily and in the process, leaving his responsibility uncovered. We dodged a bullet that time - but it's still scary.

I realize that all of the players make bad choices - it's a fast game. But these 2 examples are signs of a much deeper problem.

Hopefully Lindy sees these shortcomings as well, and starts to decrease Goligoski's ice time accordingly.
I'm glad someone still has the energy to type out why Goligoski sucks. I lost the will to do anything other than bide my time until he's gone a while ago. These types of collapses and meltdowns that seem to stalk this team around generate from mentally weak players like him. The ruthless trimming of the fat currently going on back there gives me hope.

Hull Fan

The Future is Now
Mar 21, 2007
Arlington, TX
Jyrki didn't play well but I expect that to improve with more time and experience. Jordie is bad. Jokipakka can improve. Let's stick with it for more than 2 games before coming to a decision. Oleksiak looked terrible his first few games before he settled in.

Klingberg is amazing. I've been wanting a Nichushkin jersey but am probably going to get a Klingberg one first. His hockey IQ is off the charts.

Deemers had a great first game. He wasn't perfect but physical when he could be. Good passing and got his shot on the net which scored. Everything we wanted from Dillon.

I hate to say it but Goligoski should be on the 2nd PP unit, not Daley. He's a mess right now.

McKenzie needs to stay in the lineup. Kid makes smart plays with the puck to keep the play moving in Dallas' direction.

Sign me up for trading Cole. Ugh so frustrating. Cole for Harrington, without a 2nd thought.

Roussel has been fantastic this year. He's on pace for 40+ points. Guy brings it every night. Love him.

A quiet 2 point night for Seguin. Ho hum. Kari was good but still has some things to clean up. Really love that he's gotten much better at moving the puck. This defense needs that and what a beautiful pass on Seguin's goal.

I like good Benn. I hope he sticks around for a while.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Jyrki didn't play well but I expect that to improve with more time and experience. Jordie is bad. Jokipakka can improve. Let's stick with it for more than 2 games before coming to a decision. Oleksiak looked terrible his first few games before he settled in.

Klingberg is amazing. I've been wanting a Nichushkin jersey but am probably going to get a Klingberg one first. His hockey IQ is off the charts.

Deemers had a great first game. He wasn't perfect but physical when he could be. Good passing and got his shot on the net which scored. Everything we wanted from Dillon.

I hate to say it but Goligoski should be on the 2nd PP unit, not Daley. He's a mess right now.

McKenzie needs to stay in the lineup. Kid makes smart plays with the puck to keep the play moving in Dallas' direction.

Sign me up for trading Cole. Ugh so frustrating. Cole for Harrington, without a 2nd thought.

Roussel has been fantastic this year. He's on pace for 40+ points. Guy brings it every night. Love him.

A quiet 2 point night for Seguin. Ho hum. Kari was good but still has some things to clean up. Really love that he's gotten much better at moving the puck. This defense needs that and what a beautiful pass on Seguin's goal.

I like good Benn. I hope he sticks around for a while.

I was gonna ask for a little recap on the game since I didn't watch much of it until I read your post. Props :)

As for Jokki maybe give him one more game, and if he has another off night bring in Jordie. Maybe he can wake the hell up after a horrible start to the year so far after being scratched. I also would like to see Oleksiak get more minutes.

StarsTx

Nov 9, 2014
I was gonna ask for a little recap on the game since I didn't watch much of it until I read your post. Props :)

As for Jokki maybe give him one more game, and if he has another off night bring in Jordie. Maybe he can wake the hell up after a horrible start to the year so far after being scratched. I also would like to see Oleksiak get more minutes.

This is what I would like to see as well. Jordie wasn't nearly as bad last year so maybe he can elevate his play should Joki continue to struggle. I'd trade Cole just to open a place in the lineup, a Dman in return would be icing on the cake if he can step in and play with Big Rig.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Is there anywhere I can watch the Modano ceremony?? I tried replaying the game on my gamecentre but it skips the ceremony.

brinkmanjs

May 29, 2013
Central Texas
Thanks for posting that video of Modano's last hurrah! :handclap: As the Stars's military honoree that night I spent the evening in the tunnel prior to taking the ice for the National Anthem so I missed the ceremony. Always and forever my favorite player although I didn't get his autograph, but did manage to get Hull and Neuwendyk's on my sc era jersey.:yo:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad