GDT: Game #20 - Your Columbus Blue Jackets @ Carolina Hurricanes 11-17

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
It still feels like the undercurrent here is that the Jackets are a trash, unskilled, offensively inept team. I'd like to help break that narrative, I don't care to rub anyone's nose in the teams success.
They aren't an unskilled team, there are however levels. Imho the Jackets don't have the same skilled star power of Tampa, Washington, Toronto and Pittsburgh in the east.

Reactions: Anisimovs AK

major major

Feb 18, 2013
They aren't an unskilled team, there are however levels. Imho the Jackets don't have the same skilled star power of Tampa, Washington, Toronto and Pittsburgh in the east.

All true.

Does that outweigh the Jackets' advantage in scoring depth? I think it's an open question which of those 5 clubs will come out ahead in scoring. I wouldn't make the Jackets favorites in that competition either, but I think they should be in that mix or close to it. That's a reasonable measuring stick for the club's offence, not "will the Jackets offence be just mediocre or dead last?" - (my caricature of what people were saying this summer).

Reactions: thebus88

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Adding onto what major said, and acknowledging that "skilled star power" isn't the only factor when it comes to winning hockey games, where would you rank the CBJ defense in relation to these teams??

LetsGOJackets!!

Mar 23, 2004
Columbus Ohio
Last night our defense was a work of art..pressing and defending at just the right times, they were taking away quality shots.. blocking shots and passes - Murray and Jones looked really good but the entire 6 played extremely well. Very happy to see ZW smiling again.

Nov 13, 2006
Ohio
I think we have more skilled players on defense than any of those teams.
Agreed

Adding onto what major said, and acknowledging that "skilled star power" isn't the only factor when it comes to winning hockey games, where would you rank the CBJ defense in relation to these teams??

IMHO the Jackets defense is better than the teams I listed. I think it's in the top tier along with Nashville, San Jose, Winnipeg. Tampa is the only one of those eastern teams I listed with a defense anywhere near that.

The Blue Jackets remind me of the defensively stacked Blue teams of a few years ago, albeit with better goaltending.

Reactions: thebus88

Forepar

Nov 6, 2011
South-Central Ohio
Just playing on your use of Rimer's favorite line "[insert player name] finishes his check" -
although Rimer's statement usually in a sudden crescendo that makes me think a goal was scored.
Historically it was Boll or Hartnell missing everything except the glass, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad