PGT: Game 20: United States 4 - Finland 1

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I think “pulling so hard” is overstating things. Yeah, we in Victoria have been cheering against whoever the US is playing, but I don’t think anyone has been particularly upset when the US has won, and even though we were largely supporting the Swedes on Friday, I think just about everyone in the building applauded when the US tied it up, because we appreciated the effort and grit. You have to cheer for someone and it’s more fun to cheer for the underdog, which happened all week; we pretty much adopted the Kazakhs, precisely because they were terrible. Yeah, Canadians see the US win at a lot of sports, so we naturally assume they’re the favourites and cheer against them.
Why does it bother you guys so much?
Canadian WJC crowds would cheer for Satan's Demons over the USA.

It doesn't bother me. It makes American victories on Canadian ice that much sweeter.

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South
I think “pulling so hard” is overstating things. Yeah, we in Victoria have been cheering against whoever the US is playing, but I don’t think anyone has been particularly upset when the US has won, and even though we were largely supporting the Swedes on Friday, I think just about everyone in the building applauded when the US tied it up, because we appreciated the effort and grit. You have to cheer for someone and it’s more fun to cheer for the underdog, which happened all week; we pretty much adopted the Kazakhs, precisely because they were terrible. Yeah, Canadians see the US win at a lot of sports, so we naturally assume they’re the favourites and cheer against them.
Why does it bother you guys so much?

Idk that I’m super bothered about it. It does make me scratch my head a bit as we’re global siblings. I always pull for Canada unless their playing is.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Idk that I’m super bothered about it. It does make me scratch my head a bit as we’re global siblings. I always pull for Canada unless their playing is.

Were global siblings. The family is having a falling out.

For this Canadian I cheer for:

1. Canada
2. Sweden
3. Swiss
4. Norway
5. Underdog teams (Slovakia, Czech, Denmark, etc)
6. US
7. Finland
8. Russia

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
Besides, without WJC crowds, the dark side of the Canadian national psyche would have been forever hidden under that skillfully publicized reputation for excessive politeness.

It's over, guys. We're onto you now.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Besides, without WJC crowds, the dark side of the Canadian national psyche would have been forever hidden under that skillfully publicized reputation for excessive politeness.

It's over, guys. We're onto you now.
:laugh:
Well it's about time, didn't think we could pull it off for as long as we did.

Reactions: SabresSharks

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Can someone explain why the fans are pulling so hard against the US?
For this tournament it started New Years eve 2008 after the US went up 3-0 before the 13th minute of the game in Ottawa. After the US goals the players jumped up to the glass, allegedly pointing to the USA on their sweaters which pissed off the crowd. (I don't recall if they did) Canada won the game 7-4. There was also some nasty exchanges on the benches by both teams which Pierre McGuire, an American but working for TSN blamed a US player for starting. I think the US complained loudly after the game about the officiating too.

Then came the overtime goal which gave the US gold at the 2010 tournament were it was reported that American players were singing some silly song about laying a big ole Murica beating on Canada on Canadian soil. (that game was one of the best junior games I've seen)

I guess it also doesn't help that Canadian and American youth teams play each other a lot in yearly tournaments and that just fuels the dislike for each other ON THE ICE.

No different than big rivals like Detroit Compuware and Little Caesars in the US and Toronto Red Wings and Marlboros in the GTHL. (minus the country element)

MeHateHe

Dec 24, 2006
Like I said, it's all kind of good natured, for the most part. At least it is in the rink. Most of the Canadians I saw last night were having friendly conversations with the US fans and were laughing/congratulating them on the way out.
Canadian WJC crowds would cheer for Satan's Demons over the USA.

It doesn't bother me. It makes American victories on Canadian ice that much sweeter.
Depends if Satan's Demons used Sher-Wood sticks or not. If they're skating around with Kohos, forget about it.

Reactions: eartotheground

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Attempt to injure is a match penalty. It wasn’t called and it is an absolute joke.

That wasnt clear cut enough for it to be an attempt to injure match penalty. You rarely see that call and its usually reserved for a lot more serious situation. This was not one of them. Cates was not going into that hit trying to end the Finnish players career.

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
That wasnt clear cut enough for it to be an attempt to injure match penalty. You rarely see that call and its usually reserved for a lot more serious situation. This was not one of them. Cates was not going into that hit trying to end the Finnish players career.

Absolute bullshit. That is as clear of an elbow to the head as ever. Trying to defend it is worse. There was no hockey play neing made. Just a massive blatamt chicken wing.

Reactions: gunnergunther

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
This has not been a good year for behaviour at the World Juniors.

That was a shot to the head and should be a game.

Canada's captain should be benched (by the team) for diving.

Hopefully the downward spiral will not continue.

Reactions: Pia8988

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Haha okay, bud. Elbow comes up after player is already skated past him. Relax
What? His very elbow hit Tolvanen's visor.

ivuaS1G.png

What counts as "elbow coming up" to you?

Reactions: Pia8988

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
What? His very elbow hit Tolvanen's visor.

ivuaS1G.png

What counts as "elbow coming up" to you?

Okay and watch the video? Tolvanen dodges it. Regardless thats not an attempt to injure call. You see those when someone kicks or steps on someone on purpose. If this hit connected then yea, itd be a penalty. But it didnt. Guys get blasted from behind all the time and by your logic those should all be attempt to injure because the player is in a prone position, yet it never happens

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
Okay and watch the video? Tolvanen dodges it. Regardless thats not an attempt to injure call. You see those when someone kicks or steps on someone on purpose. If this hit connected then yea, itd be a penalty. But it didnt. Guys get blasted from behind all the time and by your logic those should all be attempt to injure because the player is in a prone position, yet it never happens

The only thing happening i this play is an elbow to the head. The only thing that accomplishes is an injury. Attempt to injure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad