PGT: Game 20: United States 4 - Finland 1

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
The only thing happening i this play is an elbow to the head. The only thing that accomplishes is an injury. Attempt to injure.

So every time any player in hockey is elbowed in the head theres an injury? Lol ok

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Okay and watch the video? Tolvanen dodges it. Regardless thats not an attempt to injure call. You see those when someone kicks or steps on someone on purpose. If this hit connected then yea, itd be a penalty. But it didnt. Guys get blasted from behind all the time and by your logic those should all be attempt to injure because the player is in a prone position, yet it never happens
Take off your USA glasses

Rule 611 from the USA hockey

Rule 611 | Elbowing
(Note) Elbowing is the use of an extended elbow as the point of contact with an opponent while delivering a check, or as a means to create separation with an opponent, and may include an attempted elbow.
(a) A minor or a major penalty shall be assessed for elbowing or an attempt to elbow an opponent.
(b) A major plus a game misconduct penalty shall be assessed to any player who injures an opponent as the result of a foul committed by elbowing.

Elbowing

Reactions: pvr and Pia8988

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
Well, We are wrong and it looks like bigdog16 is right.

The IIHF does NOT have the same wording as USA hockey

RULE 139 – ELBOWING
DEFINITION: A player who uses his elbow to foul an opponent.
i.
A player elbowing an opponent will be assessed a minor penalty.
ii.
A player who recklessly endangers an opponent by elbowing will be
assessed either a major and automatic game-misconduct penalty or a
match penalty.

IIHF does not use the word attempt

Reactions: SanDogBrewin

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I have seen it. Granted, not often and I can't cite a particular case.

I havent, and i doubt they make that call in a game of this magnitude. Im not saying it wasnt stupid on Cates’ part, but the people calling for his head and saying he should be banned is hilarious

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
Finland easy win

Hope Hughes is healthy so he can get sonned by Kaapo the Great.

If they play as a team USA doesn't need to rely on Hughes to win the tournament. He's the best player but only one guy. They have enough forward depth to win. Other guys just need to step up.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad