Post-Game Talk: Game 20 - Shootouts **** - Caps 3 BRUINS 2 F/SO

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Wagner over most of the roster is inexcusable.

Why is no one else panicking about the Bruins free falling?

Some people can stay level headed when things go south because we understand what's going on with the team and how they won't be perfect and win every game.

Try it sometime..... Or don't and just show up here to dump in your draws when they're losing. Didn't see you active much when they started 11-1-2.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
It's because they are the closest - luckily the rest of the division is pretty bad.

People keep making excuses for a team that has SIGNIFICANT issues with OT/SO. We keep dropping points and blowing third period leads, injuries or not. That falls on coaching

At least they're getting points in losses.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
It's because they are the closest - luckily the rest of the division is pretty bad.

People keep making excuses for a team that has SIGNIFICANT issues with OT/SO. We keep dropping points and blowing third period leads, injuries or not. That falls on coaching

SO/3v3 in the playoffs fortunately does not exist.

Assuming Bruins get healthy that is what matters.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Laughing at the posters panicking

take out
Kutzenov
Vrana
Carlson
Boyd
Stephenson

and get back to me

my takeaway last night watching ice level

vaakanainen CAN be outstanding

Heinen gets better and better

Coyle & Heinen are looking like a great match

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
If there is anything I learned from last night's game is that we rely heavily on players knowing each other for making plays.

A ton of passing off the mark or to no one because they were expecting someone to be there. Not a problem, it just shows how much the players on our team need to play with the same linemates game in and game out so they can make improvised plays on the fly and not just give the puck to the opponent in trying to do so.

Injuries of course ruin this plan. But Bruce needs to recognize this going forward and not always put the lines in a blender when the game is stagnating. It is tending to backfire IMO.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
Bruins did very well considering how many bodies are out of the lineup.

Still not happy with losing the lead like we did again.

That being said, I will take the fact that we had a chance to win. Especially against the Caps.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
All you've done over this recent skid is blame Cassidy. It's embarrassing. Stop it.
especially given how feeble the "best players" have been in the shootout the last 3-4 years. if i have to see Pasta try to lift one over a pad, or Bergeron go 5-hole one more time...

He went with a new guy the last two SO's and the guy scored both times

Wagner is a bit of a puzzler, but the staff sees way more of these guys than we do, and at least he changed things up by coming in with some speed.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I thought McAvoy was good in the shootout, but he never seems to be selected

Shootout, like goaltending is largely confidence based outside of just skill.

You want to select the players who are going to skate out there knowing they can score. Not sweating bullets because they dont think they can and dont know which move to pick and what if I miss again and we lose......stressed players are not going to do well in the shootout.

Emerz

#1 PLD Fanboy
Jun 5, 2013
Nova Scotia
Shootout, like goaltending is largely confidence based outside of just skill.

You want to select the players who are going to skate out there knowing they can score. Not sweating bullets because they dont think they can and dont know which move to pick and what if I miss again and we lose......stressed players are not going to do well in the shootout.

For sure, that’s why I feel McAvoy would excel, he seems to thrive in big game moments.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Laughing at the posters panicking

take out
Kutzenov
Vrana
Carlson
Boyd
Stephenson

and get back to me

my takeaway last night watching ice level

vaakanainen CAN be outstanding

Heinen gets better and better

Coyle & Heinen are looking like a great match
what did you think of bjork?
thing that impressed me was how calm he was with the puck in the defensive zone. no hasty giveaways like half the forwards make in those situations.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Jaroslav Halak shines, but Bruins fall in another shootout - The Boston Globe

The top two teams in the Eastern Conference put on a rugged show at TD Garden on Saturday, and while Charlie Coyle scored for the Bruins in the shootout, the Black and Gold dropped a 3-2 decision.
After his club fell to 12-3-5, coach Bruce Cassidy said Washington was the best team they’ve played all year.

“Speed and brawn,” Cassidy said. “Our lineup wasn’t equal to theirs in terms of our typical manpower. We don’t use that as an excuse, but if you’re asking me how to compare teams, you’ve got to bring that in, correct?

The Capitals’ 44 shots were a season-high total, but Halak allowed only a double-deflection goal until Oshie scored on their 39th attempt. The Bruins regretted they couldn’t finish it for their netminder, who declined interview requests after the game.

“Our best player by far,” Cassidy said. “I liked that we really backed Jaro up in that third period, but in the first and second, he made a number of oustanding saves, and again in the shootout.”

He didn’t deserve a loss like that,” said Coyle, who extended his point streak to four games (2-3—5). “When they had their pushes and we broke down defensively, him shutting the door kept us with the lead, kept us in the game. He was great.”

You want 2 points,” Coyle said. “We want to be able to shut the door there. When you have the lead like that, that late in the game, especially for your goaltender. He’s played so well. You want to end on the right note for him.”

They’re a great team,” Pastrnak said. “Heavy team, big bodies, and fast. They want to play up and down.

“We were real close to getting two points. It sucks.”

Reactions: Strafer

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Halak deserved the win. Chara really needed to clear that puck plus he's slower reaction after that missed attempt was what hurt the Bruins chance to win that game.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
There was no way we could get past them last year too... oh wait... ok... ok... well i guess that sorted itself out

Tampa unbeatable?
Vegas?
Washington?

We were more unbeatable

Perfect? Who on this list is perfect?

You play the games... takes your chances... when the series goes 7 or the game reaches ot you know one little break your way and you win

But if the break goes their way they win

Both of you were close

It’s such a dumb way to look at OT though. We are just “coincidentally” the losing team in every single matchup this year? They suck at it. Not at actual hockey, but at that aspect of the regular season. And it’s costing them points.

People have an incredibly difficult time admitting we suck at it because they hate the concept in the first place. Guess what...that’s how the league decides these games right now.

Reactions: Strafer

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Jaroslav Halak shines, but Bruins fall in another shootout - The Boston Globe

The top two teams in the Eastern Conference put on a rugged show at TD Garden on Saturday, and while Charlie Coyle scored for the Bruins in the shootout, the Black and Gold dropped a 3-2 decision.
After his club fell to 12-3-5, coach Bruce Cassidy said Washington was the best team they’ve played all year.

“Speed and brawn,” Cassidy said. “Our lineup wasn’t equal to theirs in terms of our typical manpower. We don’t use that as an excuse, but if you’re asking me how to compare teams, you’ve got to bring that in, correct?

The Capitals’ 44 shots were a season-high total, but Halak allowed only a double-deflection goal until Oshie scored on their 39th attempt. The Bruins regretted they couldn’t finish it for their netminder, who declined interview requests after the game.

“Our best player by far,” Cassidy said. “I liked that we really backed Jaro up in that third period, but in the first and second, he made a number of oustanding saves, and again in the shootout.”

He didn’t deserve a loss like that,” said Coyle, who extended his point streak to four games (2-3—5). “When they had their pushes and we broke down defensively, him shutting the door kept us with the lead, kept us in the game. He was great.”

You want 2 points,” Coyle said. “We want to be able to shut the door there. When you have the lead like that, that late in the game, especially for your goaltender. He’s played so well. You want to end on the right note for him.”

They’re a great team,” Pastrnak said. “Heavy team, big bodies, and fast. They want to play up and down.

“We were real close to getting two points. It sucks.”

Tom Wilson aside, it is hard not to like the way Washington plays. A great combination of heaviness and skill.

It sucks we lost because we had the lead late, but we got destroyed by far inferior Washington teams than the one we just lost to in the past. If this team wasn’t in a habit of looking hopeless after regulation, yesterday’s loss would not have bothered me much.

Bruinfanatic

Apr 22, 2016
Ontario
It’s such a dumb way to look at OT though. We are just “coincidentally” the losing team in every single matchup this year? They suck at it. Not at actual hockey, but at that aspect of the regular season. And it’s costing them points.

People have an incredibly difficult time admitting we suck at it because they hate the concept in the first place. Guess what...that’s how the league decides these games right now.
I hate shootouts but we’re stuck with them,and Bruins should really find away to be better at them,it’s costing them some important points,or maybe they need to play better in the The third period and stop blowing leads.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
All things considered I thought getting a point was a positive last night. 2 would’ve been nice but against Washington I’ll take anything at this point.

Like some of the posters I do wish Boston had a couple of guys that could wander over to the Wilson’s of the world and ask them politely to stop running around. Hard to find these days though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad