Post-Game Talk: GAME 20 - Ft Lauderdale Kittens 5 - BRUINS 2

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Here we go.

The Bruins penalty kill performance in the beginning of the year was the result of good fortune not Derek Forbort being the penalty kill god. In their first 75 minutes of PK of the year, they gave up a grand total of 1 goals on 8 xG. They had a 95.65 save percentage on the PK including 100% save percentage on 17 high danger chances. The PK was good, don't get me wrong, they were first in the league at High danger chances against per 60, its just even with that they were due to give up approx 8 goals and they gave up 1. That's luck not performance, unless you think Ullmark is somehow capable of stopping all high danger chances against on the PK but hes somehow less effective at even strength for those same chances.

Since Forbort got hurt, they've given up a few more high danger chances/60 (12.65 to 16.25, incidentally the exact same number of chances, just a few more total minutes) but they are still 4th in the league over that time period. So if they aren't really giving up a lot more chances, what's the difference? The pendulum on the save percentage has swung massively in the other direction. The goaltenders 1.000 sv% on the first 17 high danger save chances has dropped to 76.92% on next 17 chances. Ullmark's high danger sv@ for the year is around 88% so we can reasonably expect that to be around where that number normalizes for this PK over time.

Some will say this post is because I hate Forbort and I get that but its really because I value finding the truth in a situation unlike Matt Porter and his "just saying" tweet. Annoying, don't be so lazy, bro. And I dont hate the man, just his game.

Last night they got goalied and the officials were microdosing acid, clearly. Chalk it up to giving an elite home power play 7 opportunities when they earned maybe 4 of them. The bruins were the much better 5v5 team and after 2 games against Florida, it's clear they have taken a fairly large step back.
Thanks for the word salad
But the PK will be better with Forbort
They had Zobril killing penalties

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
One of those nights where everything that could go wrong did. A loss is good every now and then to keep them hungry.

I’ve been on the Zboril train for awhile but I’m getting ready to hop off. He just doesn’t think the game well enough.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

SUNRISE, Fla. — Looking like their skating legs and sharpness were washed out by the South Florida sun and surf, the Bruins saw their seven-game winning streak end at the edge of the Everglades.
A 5-2 loss to the Panthers saw the Bruins (17-3-0) unable to recover after falling behind by three goals in the second period. Given how powerful they had looked in previous games, Wednesday night’s game was a dud of undisciplined play.
Instead of double-digit skaters with points on the night, they had seven players whistled for infractions.
“When you’re having a lot of success, sometimes what you’re preaching falls on deaf ears,” coach Jim Montgomery said. “We haven’t harped on it a lot, but turnovers, and taking too many minor penalties, not using our feet and sticks well enough to take minor penalties” were issues at play.

Montgomery’s club has taken the fourth-most minors (84) in the league.

Boston, which still has the second-ranked PK in the league, allowed one power-play goal in three of its first 15 games, and never more than one (51 for 54). They have allowed at least one in each of their last five games (13 for 21).

made for a tough night for Jeremy Swayman, who stopped 26 of 30 shots. Facing that much PK time (8:01), he was an Alaska salmon swimming up a waterfall.

“He made some big saves to keep us in it, especially at 1-1 and 2-1,” Montgomery said. “Deflection goals that go under the bar,” like Aleksander Barkov’s skillful tip that fluttered past Swayman at 15:31 of the second, “it’s pretty hard to fault your goalie.”

Swayman put the onus on himself for Matthew Tkachuk’s short-side deflection, which made it 4-1 with 14 seconds left before the second intermission. Posted up on Swayman’s blocker side on the power play, Tkachuk redirected a bouncing pass from Barkov under the goalie’s arm.

“Their tendency was to bump it to the middle, so I wanted to stay on my feet,” Swayman said. “Obviously he read it well. One I wanted back. I learned from it. I’m not going to let that happen again.”

Montgomery tried to spark his club by pulling Swayman with 11-plus minutes left in a four-on-four situation. The Bruins got off two shot attempts, but the Panthers blocked both.

“It’s four on four, so they can’t ice the puck,” Montgomery said of the unconventional decision. “It’s a good time to do it. You’re just looking to get as close as you can to tie to the game.”

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Here we go.

The Bruins penalty kill performance in the beginning of the year was the result of good fortune not Derek Forbort being the penalty kill god. In their first 75 minutes of PK of the year, they gave up a grand total of 1 goals on 8 xG. They had a 95.65 save percentage on the PK including 100% save percentage on 17 high danger chances. The PK was good, don't get me wrong, they were first in the league at High danger chances against per 60, its just even with that they were due to give up approx 8 goals and they gave up 1. That's luck not performance, unless you think Ullmark is somehow capable of stopping all high danger chances against on the PK but hes somehow less effective at even strength for those same chances.

Since Forbort got hurt, they've given up a few more high danger chances/60 (12.65 to 16.25, incidentally the exact same number of chances, just a few more total minutes) but they are still 4th in the league over that time period. So if they aren't really giving up a lot more chances, what's the difference? The pendulum on the save percentage has swung massively in the other direction. The goaltenders 1.000 sv% on the first 17 high danger save chances has dropped to 76.92% on next 17 chances. Ullmark's high danger sv@ for the year is around 88% so we can reasonably expect that to be around where that number normalizes for this PK over time.

Some will say this post is because I hate Forbort and I get that but its really because I value finding the truth in a situation unlike Matt Porter and his "just saying" tweet. Annoying, don't be so lazy, bro. And I dont hate the man, just his game.

Last night they got goalied and the officials were microdosing acid, clearly. Chalk it up to giving an elite home power play 7 opportunities when they earned maybe 4 of them. The bruins were the much better 5v5 team and after 2 games against Florida, it's clear they have taken a fairly large step back.

An odd statement from an analytics guy.

Reactions: Gordoff and bme44

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
7 PP’s. Cucksmore and the other jerk sucked the joint up last.
Yea and Bruins coach making it sound like it was Bruins fault.I agree Bruins taking to many in first 20 games but it's hard to control refs intent on putting you in box which was clearly the case last night.That McAvoy one was brutally bad and Coyle one to.Especially a ref calling it behind play without clear view.Not blaming refs cause Bruins had a pair of 5 on 3 goals but it's not a product I want to spend money on to watch special teams battles steady .

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Yea and Bruins coach making it sound like it was Bruins fault.I agree Bruins taking to many in first 20 games but it's hard to control refs intent on putting you in box which was clearly the case last night.That McAvoy one was brutally bad and Coyle one to.Especially a ref calling it behind play without clear view.Not blaming refs cause Bruins had a pair of 5 on 3 goals but it's not a product I want to spend money on to watch special teams battles steady .

Please....

• Haha
Reactions: 22Brad Park

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Please....
Please wha?.McAvoy call the guy was falling and still never saw nothing on Coyle penalty. That game last night was powerplay after powerplay with 3 five on 3s and 2 of them long 5 on 3s.Who wants to spend big money to watch that product certainly not me.Special teams league bigtime now .And don't tell me please without adding something to support your opinion next time .

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Yeah whichever penalty it was against the Bruins in the latter stages of the game I said 'he was already falling but ok'
That was McAvoy in corner yiur talking about I think. See have to even think about it so many lol.Still never touched him .I watch a crapload of games besides just Bruins and its same across the league

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Please wha?.McAvoy call the guy was falling and still never saw nothing on Coyle penalty. That game last night was powerplay after powerplay with 3 five on 3s and 2 of them long 5 on 3s.Who wants to spend big money to watch that product certainly not me.Special teams league bigtime now .And don't tell me please without adding something to support your opinion next time .

You claimed intent on the part of the refs, not simply error. That's nonsense.

Certainly, they missed the McAvoy play. Coyle penalty looked like a typical tripping infraction to me.

Reactions: 22Brad Park

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
You claimed intent on the part of the refs, not simply error. That's nonsense.

Certainly, they missed the McAvoy play. Coyle penalty looked like a typical tripping infraction to me.
Well that's better now I know what you mean.Ok maybe intent is a bit much let me take that word back.If these officials are going to call them they should have to see it not guess.The amount of powerplays appears staggering across the league.Love to know if on pace with last season etc

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Lots of soft calls last night. Bruins totally wasted those two 4min high sticking calls though.

Not sure Zboril skated past centre ice last night, dude was hemmed in his zone all night in his 7min TOI & so soft on that one goal. Seems like the only dman holding his stick too tight in Montys system

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
This was a penalty 😁 Charlie a lucky man.Bryan Berard pops right in my mind.
1669307957162.png

Lots of soft calls last night. Bruins totally wasted those two 4min high sticking calls though.

Not sure Zboril skated past centre ice last night, dude was hemmed in his zone all night in his 7min TOI & so soft on that one goal. Seems like the only dman holding his stick too tight in Montys system
He had time to move that puck to.Very hesitant.

• Wow
Reactions: BMC and Gordoff

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
One defenseman does not a penalty kill make, but the Bruins were 30 for 32 with Derek Forbort (injured on Nov. 1), and are 34 for 43 without him. “It hurts for sure,” Marchand said. “He’s incredible on the PK. Blocking shots, he’s got a really long reach, closes quick in corners. We miss him.” …

Trizz617

Jan 5, 2018
Boston/Quebec
soundcloud.com
One of those funny nights in the NHL. The Bruins lost, the Devils lost and finally snapped their 13-game winning streak, the Yotes hammered and shutout the Canes, the Oilers failed to score on the road for the first time in 56 games, the Ducks beat the Rangers, the Kraken put 8 past the Sharks, and the Canucks beat the Avs. Sometimes things just don't pan out how you would expect/hope.

The Bruins had their chances in this game. Plenty of looks early, just wasted some good opportunities, and Knight was sharp. Carlo was too soft on his opponent on the 1st goal against, and Zboril was too soft on the puck for the 2nd. Then the penalties piled up and the Bs just lost their way. Can validly complain about the refereeing but the players probably didn't help themselves either. PK had an off night. Swayman I thought was ok, the defense let him down and the Panthers had a little puck luck. Boston rallied a bit in the 3rd, but Florida were professional enough to play sensibly and close the game out.

I feel a bit sorry for Zboril. I thought he was just starting to find his game and build some better form when he got scratched. Then he sat for 10 days before being put back in here, and whatever momentum he had seemed to be gone. It can be especially hard for a young player to deal with being in and out of the team like that. At the same time, it was a pretty horrendous mistake and he's been generally disappointing this season, and that has to be acknowledged. but I wouldn't give up on him just yet.

Hopefully a loss the boys can learn from. Another tough contest coming up on Friday against a stuttering Carolina that will surely bring a better showing against the Bs. Should be a good one.
Love your perspective!! 17-3 is awesome. The lessons and learning come from the losses. We'll be fine.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad