GDT: Game 20 | Detroit Red Wings @ Los Angeles Kings | 10:00 PM EST | FS-D, NBCSN, TSN2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
The officiating was questionable but I'm not going to get too worked up over this loss. We've been competitive against good teams lately which is a good sign. Jimmy had a .931 SV% which is where he needs to be. We controlled play early and then the Kings took over, I don't know if it was due to the time difference since the Wings should have been well rested.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Yeah the wings played well but didn't cash in their numerous opportunities, they were lucky they got the one they did. It's a shame because LA looked pretty bad most of the way.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
Why the hell is that a penalty?

I'm complaining about the actual rule itself, not the enforcement of it. How soft the NHL has become when playing a face off with your hand is a penalty.

I agree completely. At the most, they should move the face-off into the offending team's zone, and if it's already there, well, kick the guy out; if the second guy does it, THEN call it a penalty.

As much as it pains me to say, Quincey was pretty good; that goal was flukey as hell, but hey, it counts. Cleary was pretty solid, too. Nobody was really bad... well, I take that back: Franzen was bad. Dude was floating 90% of the time, and the one time he did something good it went off the post. Ericsson had that cluster of turnovers, but otherwise wasn't awful. Emmertoo bringing the pain train was hilarious. Datsyuk had a rough one, but other than the penalties and the missed clearing attempt, he wasn't bad.

Last edited:

THW

Mar 6, 2008
We dominated the game but couldn't score more than once and it was a fluke goal. :shakehead:

Lashoff got caught daydreaming on Kopitar's GW. I was screaming at my TV.

Wha? Big Rig had a guy pinned to the boards when Kronner blew his assignment and let Kopitar walk in against Emmerton.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Officiating didn't lose them the game.

Letting Anze Kopitar walk up to the net is what lost them the game.

Anze Kopitar scored less than 2 minutes after a King knocked Smith down almost giving him a concussion about 100 feet away from the puck. Which was deemed legal. Somehow.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Said Howard: “He sort of came from my blind side, so I don't know exactly how he got so wide open. I yelled for someone to pick him up and then realized there was absolutely no one around him. He had all the time in the world and he made us pay.''

Just wondering... what do you think would happen if the second Jimmy saw Kopitar receive the pass with no defense around him, Jimmy pushed out and basically slide tackled the guy as if he were a soccer goalie?

I imagine it would probably be a tripping call or something. But is it even realistic? Can you push out fast enough with goalie skates, and is it reasonable to expect to bury the puck in your pads if you do it quick enough to catch him off guard?

Just a thought.

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Cleary needs to shut up. The hit was shoulder-to-shoulder and he got cut by his visor.

Smith, on the other hand, has a right to be pissed.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Just wondering... what do you think would happen if the second Jimmy saw Kopitar receive the pass with no defense around him, Jimmy pushed out and basically slide tackled the guy as if he were a soccer goalie?

I imagine it would probably be a tripping call or something. But is it even realistic? Can you push out fast enough with goalie skates, and is it reasonable to expect to bury the puck in your pads if you do it quick enough to catch him off guard?

Just a thought.

Didn't Thomas do something similar to a Sedin? And then there was Hasek sending a guy head over heels....hehe...

fimoknete

Jun 4, 2006
Roesrath, Germany
Yeah the wings played well but didn't cash in their numerous opportunities, they were lucky they got the one they did. It's a shame because LA looked pretty bad most of the way.

this.

L.A. was more busy with recovering from overskating the puck, loose the puck during stickhandling etc.
they couldnt get nothing forward in the first 2 periods. their 5-3 pp was harmless and looked like a beer league pp.
actually the wings should have scored 4 or 5 already during the first 2 periods.
bad refs have nothing to do with that.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
Officiating didn't lose them the game.

Letting Anze Kopitar walk up to the net is what lost them the game.

Yeah, the officials weren't stopping the Wings from scoring on the PP. Gotta take advantage of your chances and the Wings didn't. If Wings fans listen to Ken Daniels call a game and hear him hyperventilate over alleged infractions by the opposition (which seem to happen every shift by his calls), then I get why they feel the refs cost us the game last night.

The Penner hit on Smith should have been called, but I was okay with the others. The hit on Cleary seemed okay to me (not the suspendable offense that Daniels thought it was), and Pavel's faceoff hand pass seemed to violate the new rule. Can't make that play if you're him in that spot.

Road PP failures and Emmerton slew footing E on Kopitar's goal (thought the same thing when I saw it, sarcastro :laugh:) killed the Wings.

Didn't Thomas do something similar to a Sedin? And then there was Hasek sending a guy head over heels....hehe...

The Thomas hit on Sedin was probably one of the top 10 most satisfying checks I've seen thrown. That was fantastic!

RedWingsNow*

Cleary needs to shut up. The hit was shoulder-to-shoulder and he got cut by his visor.

Cleary looked like an idiot crying on the bench.
The Smith hit was weird.
It didn't look like Penner meant it. But guys know how to make things look like an accident.
On the other hand, Smith looked like he was faking that.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007

Only thing I can think is that Cleary truly believed it was a stick or elbow that got him, and not his visor. He looked genuinely pissed, though maybe he was just that frustrated that he thought he could guilt the ref. Either way, it looks bad. He either has poor SA or is just whining.

Playing the game as long as I have, I'm convinced it was an outright cheapshot, with Penner possibly even knowing about Smith's shoulder. Penner knew where he was on the ice, knew where Smith was, and there was no traffic. Penner may not be the brightest, but I doubt he's stupid enough for that to be an accident.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Playing the game as long as I have, I'm convinced it was an outright cheapshot, with Penner possibly even knowing about Smith's shoulder. Penner knew where he was on the ice, knew where Smith was, and there was no traffic. Penner may not be the brightest, but I doubt he's stupid enough for that to be an accident.

Didn't Penner hurt himself flipping pancakes? I'm not sure I'd underestimate his stupidity...or maybe it's the size of his pancakes we shouldn't underestimate...hmmm...

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Cleary looked like an idiot crying on the bench.
The Smith hit was weird.
It didn't look like Penner meant it. But guys know how to make things look like an accident.
On the other hand, Smith looked like he was faking that.

Smith lying on the ice for a little too long might have been faking it.

What was the point of Smith going to the dressing room to get his head checked out afterwards? To guilt the refs into making a retroactive call? To get the fans on his side? To save face and keep up the charade?

lol.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Smith lying on the ice for a little too long might have been faking it.

What was the point of Smith going to the dressing room to get his head checked out afterwards? To guilt the refs into making a retroactive call? To get the fans on his side? To save face and keep up the charade?

lol.

To make sure he didn't re-injure his shoulder?

RedWingsNow*

Only thing I can think is that Cleary truly believed it was a stick or elbow that got him, and not his visor. He looked genuinely pissed, though maybe he was just that frustrated that he thought he could guilt the ref. Either way, it looks bad. He either has poor SA or is just whining.

I won't say that with certainty, but I can see it. Penner sold it well if it was intentional.
Early in the third Smith came over the head with a two-handed slash on the stick and pissed somebody off. Later that shift, someone took a run at Smith

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
There's another game on as we speak and this thread is almost to the limit anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad