GDT: Game 20: Coyotes @ Jets - 6PM - FSAZ - Coyote'em All

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
I am now on the side that if RT gets fired... No problem here.

To be the worst in the NHL EVER without a regulation win this long into the season is just inexcusable and unacceptable...especially with the talent on this team. They may not be the highest level of talent in the league... but sure as hell better than no regulation wins at this point.

What I can't stand the most, personally, is not that we lost. It's that the Yotes lost while also looking complacent about it. As others have said... they could have at least thrown some hits, did SOMETHING to show the Jets they weren't going to go quietly into that good night.

Instead, they let Domi get elbowed up high and Trouba take a whack at their young star player without consequence. They didn't look pissed to be losing once again. It's no wonder this team loses. They aren't a team at all. Spineless and they don't stand up for each other one bit.

Don't even get me started on the lines/scratches. Having Duke on the bench and Kempe on the first line is ridiculous to me. And then the team goes out there, plays poor defense and can't score goals. Will they find a way to blame this on Duclair now? I could go on and on but I am just steamed and ranting so I'll just leave it at that.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
Re this particular game/couple of games, I think the Jets are really a bad matchup to our team; big, heavy, playing the basics correctly, some good pk and dangerous pp. This is a team that also have talented guys as well as proper grinders.

Their main issue was goaltending last year but this seems solved for now. They will be a handful for many teams.

Re. The Coyotes, there have been so many games quite tight (even if the results not so in the end), and a lot of frustrating stuff, they were due a real bad one. Last night was that and you could see the wheels coming off as soon as second goal went in.

Looking ahead, the Canadiens are quite a decent match up, as a low scoring team, quite smallish and not that physical. Pressure/frustration is always lurking in Montreal, and a good start of the game (like we have seen aside from last night) could unsettle them a bit.

Obviously there is a lot of wishful thinking in what I am writing but hey, I think they think there will be a lot of try after this debacle in Winnipeg. So I have a decent feeling that the first regular win is .... yeah, no,I am not going to say it.

BigMac1212

I feel...alone.
Jun 12, 2003
Sun Devil Country
Found this on the Simpson thread on the Entertainment forum. Sums up what we're thinking right about now...

822621.gif

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
They are actually generating good chances and playing well inside the new 'system'. They've just been boned by bad individual performances, in part due to injuries and a shallow roster to begin with. Players like Martinook and Rieder have clearly regressed. Guys like Domi and OEL are headcases right now. Nobody is shooting the puck extremely well. They just can't shake the funk of that awful start. It may take some trades to shake free from it. Possibly some major ones.

Playing Kempe on the top line isn't doing RT any favors. I sometimes wonder if Chayka ever advises coaches on deployment, because it sure as hell doesn't look like it to me.

Chicken or the egg huh?

This thing better hatch into some form of SuperTurnAround chicken and fast, or it's going to be a flown blown chicken running around with it's head chopped off scenario.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
We get pushed around left and right. Tocchet has lost the room.
I don't think Tocchet ever had the room.

I attended the first practice back in September, came away shocked with the level of disorganization and lack of coaches/players understanding their roles. Given new staff/players some of that was to be expected, but it's snowballed. Not sure it's recoverable.

John MacLean was fired after a 9-22-2 start to his NHL coaching career, Bryan Trottier 21-26-6 with the Rangers. Granted, those were both better teams in a more competitive/hostile market, but the Coyotes a have become a laughing stock of not only the NHL, but all pro sports. How long does AB/Chayka wait?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Which is why he's still employed.

I'm operating under the assumption the team is gone next year unless Barroway finds additional investors or sells, by some miracle, to a local big fish (there aren't that many)

Also, for the record, I wanted Todd Nelson and was one of the few to pump the brakes on RT while everyone else was super excited.

I still maintain that there's a bunch of floating turds on the roster that need to be flushed before anything major happens.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I would normally advocate for 1 trade to get Tocchet some help before you fire the coach. Not so sure this time. There has been a ton of change and it seems players cannot play the system Tocchet wants (or his version of the Penguins system is awfully taught / executed). We thought getting Raanta back would help. It did, a little. Do we have to wait for Hjalmarsson and Chychrun too? The team could be 0 for 30 by that time.

Chayka HAS to do something.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Chayka HAS to do something.

How about trading for some replacement level guys that can skate? Waive Kconn and Schenn. That's what I want to see. I don't care if both are good dudes. They're killing this team.

Reactions: Yandover

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Problem with firing Tocch is that MacLean likely gets promoted to head coach. That’s the cheapest option.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
What is more valuable Rieder, Martinook, KConn, Schenn or Rick Tocchet? Two of those guys are replacement level, sure, but the other two probably show that it is more of a coaching issue. I think you could easily add Stepan to that list and maybe some others with makes the player side outweigh the coach side by a great bit. Tocchet still has not proven anything as a head coach, and I would hope he is on the hot seat at this point.

Martinook looks like he got fat. Not physically, but he worked for his pay cheque and now he’s done. Shades of Brendan McMillan and Rob Klinkhsmmer.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I'm operating under the assumption the team is gone next year unless Barroway finds additional investors or sells, by some miracle, to a local big fish (there aren't that many)

Also, for the record, I wanted Todd Nelson and was one of the few to pump the brakes on RT while everyone else was super excited.

I still maintain that there's a bunch of floating turds on the roster that need to be flushed before anything major happens.
Trouble with floating turds is they wont garner much in a trade.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Trouble with floating turds is they wont garner much in a trade.

That's why I'm happy to flush them for free. Nobody likes a floater. Is this team really worse off if Kconn, Schenn, and guys like Martinook are swapped out for other replacement level players?

Reactions: Yandover

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I don't think Tocchet ever had the room.

I attended the first practice back in September, came away shocked with the level of disorganization and lack of coaches/players understanding their roles. Given new staff/players some of that was to be expected, but it's snowballed. Not sure it's recoverable.

John MacLean was fired after a 9-22-2 start to his NHL coaching career, Bryan Trottier 21-26-6 with the Rangers. Granted, those were both better teams in a more competitive/hostile market, but the Coyotes a have become a laughing stock of not only the NHL, but all pro sports. How long does AB/Chayka wait?

Did not know that it looked discombobulated. But we can kind of see that on the ice, at times. I very often see players who are in the mentality of moving the puck that they wind up having an idea of where they want to send the puck, but it winds up hitting an opponent and deflecting away from us. The players don't take that extra second to look at the players on the ice, and then make the pass. I get that the system is predicated on fast movement of the puck, but it reaches the point where that is so ingrained in their minds, we lose sight of the idea of making the smart(er) play.

My biggest thing is that b/c of the question marks surrounding what to do, players are now taking the liberties of not playing within the system (the same thing that was accused of Tippett teams last year). I see far less attention paid to the system this year than last year, if it even really occurred as badly as some think it did last year. The other piece is that b/c we have just trudged on with something that hasn't been as effective, we are constantly re-learning what should be more well known by the players and we can never evolve ahead of other teams, as they are working on the next phases in their system, and we are working back towards basic building blocks of ours.

It may not have been as exciting, but dammit, at least in years past, players understood their responsibilities.

Bandit34

Jul 23, 2007
HFBoards
What a disaster this season has been.

When the vast majority of the players are underperforming or regressing (besides Keller), the blame lies mostly on the coaching.

Fire Tocchet

Unfortunately, we are too poor to. This season is doomed and so is the development of our young guys.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Problem with firing Tocch is that MacLean likely gets promoted to head coach. That’s the cheapest option.
How about Mike Van Ryn? Not much HC experience, but his limited experience has been positive. I've spoke to a few people (including Kyle Wood's dad - before Van Ryn was hired in Tucson) who think this guy is a genius.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Tocchet made a couple of interesting post-game comments. He said first that a couple of players are not playing the system and it's making him mad. Then he said, "We have to play a perfect game to win."

Then sit those players. Who is running this ship?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
How about Mike Van Ryn? Not much HC experience, but his limited experience has been positive. I've spoke to a few people (including Kyle Wood's dad - before Van Ryn was hired in Tucson) who think this guy is a genius.

I'm a huge fan of Van Ryn. Have been since his days in Kitchener. But just like Strome et al, I think he needs further development in the minors. And let's keep a good thing going in Tucson. Van Ryn has 4 years as a junior/minors assistant and 2 years as a juniors/minors head coach. I think he'll be the Coyotes head coach at some point, just not yet.

Reactions: slv and AZviaNJ

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
0-20, NHL record. How can you keep the coach? We have way more talent then last year. We can only blame the goal tending for so long. I knew there was huge risk in replacing an experienced coach that got more with less, and replacing him with an inexperienced head coach. I thought it could be a mistake but didn't imagine this big of a disaster. Barroway/Chayka created this mess, both inexperienced. Now what?

On paper we are not this bad. Some of RT's selection of certain players on certain lines is a head scratcher. Rotating Kempe and Cousins does nothing for me at all, and having Rinaldo running around is fun to watch the results are almost nill. I have never seen anything like this in all my years of playing and watching hockey.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
There was always a good chance of that but with how this season has gone I'm starting to feel like it's a certainty at this point. I mean when is the last time we've heard some arena news?!

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
There was always a good chance of that but with how this season has gone I'm starting to feel like it's a certainty at this point. I mean when is the last time we've heard some arena news?!

Last couple of days has produced a rumor from Jude LaCava about the Salt River tribe, but I have to consider the source as poop.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad