GDT: Game 20 - CBJ vs MTL - 19 Nov, 7pm, @Nat

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Torts in postgame "are we gonna change the lineup?" (regarding Foligno coming back)

I love to see him keep the same lineup

but I'd guess it's Milano..or maybe Nash

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I think the jackets got more than their fair share of luck tonight. But it was Korpisalo who stood tall and kept them in the game.

I thought it was fitting that I was in attendance for a game in which they won by a comfortable margin given my continuous harping on their narrow margins of victory. LOL

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I think the jackets got more than their fair share of luck tonight. But it was Korpisalo who stood tall and kept them in the game.

I thought it was fitting that I was in attendance for a game in which they won by a comfortable margin given my continuous harping on their narrow margins of victory. LOL
That save by Korpisalo was huge right after they made it 3-2. Would have been lame if they won the faceoff and went down the ice and tied it back up in 10 seconds or so.

Think they said first time they scored 5 goals this season.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bemstrom and Milano have more points than Wennberg in basically half the ice time. It's almost like they're actually good and shouldn't be buried on the 4th line playing 9 minutes/game.

*glares at John*

We'll all be pleased to know that ice time was very flat tonight. Milano actually was 2nd, only after Dubois, in 5 v 5 ice time among forwards.

The line that got the least, about 12 minutes, was Nyquist - Jenner - Bjorkstrand. Those guys all got on the board tonight but the scoring wasn't when they were together. They spent nearly the whole game prior to that getting buried in their own end.

I guess we are gonna see these lines again?

Milano - Dubois - Bemstrom, I'm sure.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
At least the best 3rd period. The 2nd was not very good.

I think it might have been the Jackets worst period since the Flyers / Oilers games. They really got buried and Korpi kept them in it.

So it's funny again that this was the game where they get the crazy lucky goal, and that the offensive damn burst right after that.

It's the Costanza game. We had Costanza lines, Torts picked what he thought wouldn't work. Then they went out and sucked hard, pulling another Costanza. And it worked!

Reactions: EspenK

Finner

Dec 8, 2018
Hey its streak! Couple beautiful goals tonight, Korpi was solid so its all good atleast moment

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
I was not particularly happy with Torts' comments after the game lamenting that we did not do enough hitting and grinding. Seems scoring is a lower priority for Torts than doing "the grind". I wonder if it ever occurs to him that the reason they were scoring is t hat they were not tied up trying to "grind" and instead were showing their skills?

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
I was not particularly happy with Torts' comments after the game lamenting that we did not do enough hitting and grinding. Seems scoring is a lower priority for Torts than doing "the grind". I wonder if it ever occurs to him that the reason they were scoring is t hat they were not tied up trying to "grind" and instead were showing their skills?

He’s a dinosaur , what do you expect . This is why forwards leave our team that torts utilized like a toilet seat , and they go on to lead their team in scoring the next year . Karlsson, Duclair . Btw , anyone catch Duclairs statement last night about what a blessing it was to play for a coach that believed in him . Torts yanks players around for the slightest mistakes , unless they are veteran in his eyes , and then wonders why this team is so tight . That was all we heard after last game , this is the most uptight bunch he’s ever been around . It’s not real hard to understand John, it really isn’t . Look in the mirror sir ...

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Cam needs to sit. It's all mental (have confirmed this). If you must put Foligno in, then I'd sit Cam or Wennberg. But Cam doesn't have a 5v5 goal this season but is somehow being played the most among the forwards. Just more...incredible...coaching decisions.

Counting the playoffs, Cam has 7-16-23 in his last 41 games. Wtf has happened to his goal scoring? In his last 50 games (playoffs still included) he has 10-18-28. He's been on this ~45 point/~15 goal pace for a *long time* now. It makes absolutely no sense to be playing him 19+ minutes a game.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
He’s a dinosaur , what do you expect . This is why forwards leave our team that torts utilized like a toilet seat , and they go on to lead their team in scoring the next year . Karlsson, Duclair . Btw , anyone catch Duclairs statement last night about what a blessing it was to play for a coach that believed in him . Torts yanks players around for the slightest mistakes , unless they are veteran in his eyes , and then wonders why this team is so tight . That was all we heard after last game , this is the most uptight bunch he’s ever been around . It’s not real hard to understand John, it really isn’t . Look in the mirror sir ...
Its funny you keep bringing up Karlsson. I went back and looked at the expansion draft thread and you were right there with Torts about getting rid of Karlsson. In fact, you said Sedlak was the better player. Karlsson is gone and bringing him up doesn't mean anything. And really, people here care what Duclair has to say? He has a reputation of being not easy to coach, not just by Torts. Torts was probably not happy that they weren't generating more shots and were still giving up good scoring chances. Korpi still had to make some tough saves, and that chance off the faceoff after taking the lead was disturbing. You need to lay off the Torts comments, I am sure you can make a better case about the state of things other than blaming the coach.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
right there with Torts about getting rid of Karlsson.

I don't know if this was what you meant, but Torts was never trying to get rid of Karlsson. He gave Karlsson very consistent ice time through the year, even as Karlsson went half the year without scoring a goal. Karlsson had a very good all-around game that Torts appreciated. Torts then matched Karlsson up, successfully, against Malkin in the playoffs.

Reactions: thebus88 and Viqsi

MAHJ71

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2014
NWA 217
Kudos to Korpisalo for his continued bounce back after the temper benching last week.

I don't have a preference between him and Elvis, but I would just like to know sooner than later that we have a firm replacement for Bob that we can count on for the foreseeable future.

His play coming out of the benching is a step in that direction IMO.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I don't know if this was what you meant, but Torts was never trying to get rid of Karlsson. He gave Karlsson very consistent ice time through the year, even as Karlsson went half the year without scoring a goal. Karlsson had a very good all-around game that Torts appreciated. Torts then matched Karlsson up, successfully, against Malkin in the playoffs.
I was trying to stay with his narritive that Torts should have seen his talent and played him differently. I don't think anyone saw his 1st season with Vegas coming, including Vegas. If I remember correctly, Karlsson was included with the Clarkson contract deal so Columbus could control who was taken in the expansion draft and not lose a guy they had to leave unprotected. I really didn't have an issue with the deal. I was glad to be rid of Clarkson.

Reactions: thebus88

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
Cam needs to sit. It's all mental (have confirmed this). If you must put Foligno in, then I'd sit Cam or Wennberg. But Cam doesn't have a 5v5 goal this season but is somehow being played the most among the forwards. Just more...incredible...coaching decisions.

Counting the playoffs, Cam has 7-16-23 in his last 41 games. Wtf has happened to his goal scoring? In his last 50 games (playoffs still included) he has 10-18-28. He's been on this ~45 point/~15 goal pace for a *long time* now. It makes absolutely no sense to be playing him 19+ minutes a game.

I agree he should watch a game or two. His play dipped in the postseason and hasn't come back.

I'm curious about your confirmation of his problems being mental. Are you saying you've positively confirmed somehow that it's mental or that you're ruled out that it's physical?

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I agree he should watch a game or two. His play dipped in the postseason and hasn't come back.

I'm curious about your confirmation of his problems being mental. Are you saying you've positively confirmed somehow that it's mental or that you're ruled out that it's physical?

Have "source," basically. I'll try to double confirm with JLGP next time I get a chance to chat...if he'll opine, that is. But yeah, confirmed it's not a physical injury and just mostly frustration not being able to finish (see: shooting <5% for his last 50 some odd games).

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I’d sit Cam next game. As I mentioned last week, it worked a few years ago. Something’s not right with him at the moment. Sitting a game or two could be good.

I mean, guys who are "struggling" right now, at least in terms of producing related to expectations: Cam, Anderson, Texier, Wennberg (if you believe he's more than a 30 point centerman), Bjorkstrand. Andy, I think, is just not 100% after his injury. But either way, I'd look at those 4 or 5 before the usual Milano, Robinson, Bemstrom type guys to sit for Foligno. Or heck, sit Foligno again. The team got 5 of 6 points without him - probably their best 3 game stretch. Coincidence?

Last edited:

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Its funny you keep bringing up Karlsson. I went back and looked at the expansion draft thread and you were right there with Torts about getting rid of Karlsson. In fact, you said Sedlak was the better player. Karlsson is gone and bringing him up doesn't mean anything. And really, people here care what Duclair has to say? He has a reputation of being not easy to coach, not just by Torts. Torts was probably not happy that they weren't generating more shots and were still giving up good scoring chances. Korpi still had to make some tough saves, and that chance off the faceoff after taking the lead was disturbing. You need to lay off the Torts comments, I am sure you can make a better case about the state of things other than blaming the coach.
I wasnt watching him in practice daily, surely thats not hard to understand. Amazing that he woke up in Vegas with the talent level to be a #1C, and our coach wanted him to focus on being a checker, but Gallant was able to recognize his skill set, and utilize his skill set he has.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
The legend of Wild Bill: William Karlsson is hockey’s most unlikely success story

“If we were sitting here right now and he had 15 goals and 40 assists, that wouldn’t be as surprising to me. He distributes the puck very well, makes people around him better,” says Jarrod Skalde, who coached Karlsson and Steckel in Norfolk, Anaheim’s AHL affiliate. “I would never predict he’d be in the mid-30s (in goals) in March with the potential to score 40 at the National Hockey League level.”
Skalde’s take is typical of those who have crossed paths with Karlsson over the years. Coaches and teammates insist he has always had offensive upside waiting to be unlocked. This season-long outburst is the extreme version of what they had envisioned, and the goal-to-assist ratio is backwards.

100% agree with BreadMan on this. It's a complete organizational mess up. Torts and Jarmo can share the blame on this one. They got to watch him daily for 2 years and missed the boat. Inexcusable.

I've lost touch with him, but I used to have a good relationship with Jarrod Skalde who coached in Cincinnati but I never asked him about WK.

Reactions: The Bread Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad