GDT: Game 20 - CBJ vs MTL - 19 Nov, 7pm, @Nat

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Jan 12, 2011
I mean, guys who are "struggling" right now, at least in terms of producing related to expectations: Cam, Anderson, Texier, Wennberg (if you believe he's more than a 30 point centerman), Bjorkstrand. Andy, I think, is just not 100% after his injury. But either way, I'd look at those 4 or 5 before the usual Milano, Robinson, Bemstrom type guys to sit for Foligno. Or heck, sit Foligno again. The team got 5 of 6 points without him - probably their best 3 game stretch. Coincidence?
I don’t think it’s a coincidence but it’s not about Foligno’s play, rather it’s more about Torts player usage. The Captain’s absence and prior poor team play forced Torts to give minutes to players that hadn’t been getting TOI. When Nick returns I’m hoping Torts avoids the temptation to sit Milano, Bemstrom, Tex or Robinson and also avoids forcing Foligno into the top 6 which is not where he best contributes. (I’d actually prefer he slot in at center for Nash or Wennberg for a few games though a brief break for Cam may be warranted).

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I was trying to stay with his narritive that Torts should have seen his talent and played him differently. I don't think anyone saw his 1st season with Vegas coming, including Vegas. If I remember correctly, Karlsson was included with the Clarkson contract deal so Columbus could control who was taken in the expansion draft and not lose a guy they had to leave unprotected. I really didn't have an issue with the deal. I was glad to be rid of Clarkson.

I wasnt watching him in practice daily, surely thats not hard to understand. Amazing that he woke up in Vegas with the talent level to be a #1C, and our coach wanted him to focus on being a checker, but Gallant was able to recognize his skill set, and utilize his skill set he has.

Monsters is correct here, Vegas didn't see it coming. Gallant initially had Karlsson penciled in on the 4th line, even lower than where Torts had him. IIRC it was after some early injuries and the banishment of Shipyachov that Karlsson got moved up. I'm sure Bread Man will take note of this and not keep repeating false narratives. :sarcasm:

Minor notes
- the Clarkson trade and the expansion selection trade were agreed to separately but announced concurrently.
- Karlsson's coach before Torts was Bruce Boudreau, you might ask him why he didn't give Karlsson more opportunity and why his team gave him away.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I mean, guys who are "struggling" right now, at least in terms of producing related to expectations: Cam, Anderson, Texier, Wennberg (if you believe he's more than a 30 point centerman), Bjorkstrand. Andy, I think, is just not 100% after his injury. But either way, I'd look at those 4 or 5 before the usual Milano, Robinson, Bemstrom type guys to sit for Foligno. Or heck, sit Foligno again. The team got 5 of 6 points without him - probably their best 3 game stretch. Coincidence?

Yeah, coincidence. Anyways, from your list I'd rest Anderson a couple games.

Reactions: thebus88

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I wasnt watching him in practice daily, surely thats not hard to understand. Amazing that he woke up in Vegas with the talent level to be a #1C, and our coach wanted him to focus on being a checker, but Gallant was able to recognize his skill set, and utilize his skill set he has.
I think it was more he was in the right place at the right time. The first year in Vegas was a perfect storm. There were no expectations and things just clicked on all cylinders. If Karlsson was really that player all along, there would have been signs in Anaheim and in Columbus, but there wasn't. Torts had him playing the way he was because he was good at it. If there were any signs he was a prolific goal scorer, or a point per game guy, it would have been different. Even if you look at his numbers before the NHL, he still wasn't showing signs of the player he is now. You really can't put this on any of his previous coaches.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
I don’t think it’s a coincidence but it’s not about Foligno’s play, rather it’s more about Torts player usage. The Captain’s absence and prior poor team play forced Torts to give minutes to players that hadn’t been getting TOI. When Nick returns I’m hoping Torts avoids the temptation to sit Milano, Bemstrom, Tex or Robinson and also avoids forcing Foligno into the top 6 which is not where he best contributes. (I’d actually prefer he slot in at center for Nash or Wennberg for a few games though a brief break for Cam may be warranted).
I don't think Milano or Bemstrom are in danger of being sat. They are now doing what was expected of them and are earning their ice time. I hope he sits Cam, to get his head straight, or Anderson, in case he is still hurt. There is definitely something off with Anderson.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I don't think Milano or Bemstrom are in danger of being sat. They are now doing what was expected of them and are earning their ice time. I hope he sits Cam, to get his head straight, or Anderson, in case he is still hurt. There is definitely something off with Anderson.

Judging by Torts' comment about sitting a veteran, it seems like Cam. He made it seem like it would be a deserved benching, so probably not Anderson.

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
On the show on The Fan that interviews Torts on Wednesday, Torts had comments that were both surprisingly positive and horrifyingly negative. On the positive, he specifically declared that the person who sits when Nick returns will be one of the veterans, not the usual Sonny, Robinson, Bemstrom type suspects. He said he sees veterans who need some time to get a better different perspective on their games. To me that sounds like Cam.

On the horrifying side, he announced that he was sick and tired of waiting for this team to "play the right way" and he was now going to get actively involved in the locker room and on the practice ice. He explained that "play the right way" meant the old "being hard to play against" which requires more checking and hits than they have been giving. He said that better offense will flow when they get back to being "hard to play against" and that he was personally going to get back into each player to get them playing the right way. I find this declaration to be astonishing to make after the first five goal game of our season. But that is his view, the offense will grow when we start getting back into a "hard to play against" checking style of game.

Reactions: The Bread Man

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Monsters is correct here, Vegas didn't see it coming. Gallant initially had Karlsson penciled in on the 4th line, even lower than where Torts had him. IIRC it was after some early injuries and the banishment of Shipyachov that Karlsson got moved up. I'm sure Bread Man will take note of this and not keep repeating false narratives. :sarcasm:

Minor notes
- the Clarkson trade and the expansion selection trade were agreed to separately but announced concurrently.
- Karlsson's coach before Torts was Bruce Boudreau, you might ask him why he didn't give Karlsson more opportunity and why his team gave him away.

and your correct , based on how torts misused him, they didn’t realize the skill set he had . Sure didn’t take them long to realize it, and utilize it properly . That’s the difference . Torts has him in practice every day for 2 years . We had little center depth , and torts chose to use him as a checker 12 minutes per night . Different sport , but We’re seeing directly what a good coach actually is in Ryan Day . Look at the offense he ran for Dwayne Haskins , Fields transfers here , he totally tweaks his offensive system to take advantage of Fields skill set . Torts does the opposite . He disregards what you do best , and tries to make every player the same , heavy checking style player .

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
On the show on The Fan that interviews Torts on Wednesday, Torts had comments that were both surprisingly positive and horrifyingly negative. On the positive, he specifically declared that the person who sits when Nick returns will be one of the veterans, not the usual Sonny, Robinson, Bemstrom type suspects. He said he sees veterans who need some time to get a better different perspective on their games. To me that sounds like Cam.

On the horrifying side, he announced that he was sick and tired of waiting for this team to "play the right way" and he was now going to get actively involved in the locker room and on the practice ice. He explained that "play the right way" meant the old "being hard to play against" which requires more checking and hits than they have been giving. He said that better offense will flow when they get back to being "hard to play against" and that he was personally going to get back into each player to get them playing the right way. I find this declaration to be astonishing to make after the first five goal game of our season. But that is his view, the offense will grow when we start getting back into a "hard to play against" checking style of game.

This is a coach who once infamously said after a 16-game win streak that he thought the team got away from their hitting and checking and were focused too much on scoring.

Monstershockey

Sponsor
Dec 31, 2017
This is a coach who once infamously said after a 16-game win streak that he thought the team got away from their hitting and checking and were focused too much on scoring.
I doubt he meant to quit trying to score. Players were probably starting to neglect the defensive side of their game and he was trying to keep them in check. If I remember right, they were extremely mediocre after that streak, so there was probably a little truth to that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad