Pre-Game Talk: Game 20 - Big Zee returns to TD Garden - 3/3 7:10 PM - NBCSN, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I loved Chara as much as anyone but he’s gone so I’m not too concerned about him . I am a little concerned that despite the win against the Rangers , the Bruins appear to be a fragile team at the moment and now we get two games vs the Caps who seem to be healthy now and playing better . Bruins better be ready . Big test for the inexperienced D .

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Can't see it. Probably just as well

..all I see is IMG

lowell-spinners-zdeno-chara-lowell_1_63063ae9d9a28bbf93000726e0b53b8a.jpg

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I think it is important to remember the B's offered him more $$$ but told him he would play less.

Chara has played in all 21 of Washington’s games (2-4—6, plus-10) and his 19:24 average time on ice is second on the Capitals behind John Carlson (24:23). Chara is also second on the team in average shorthanded time on ice (2:42), behind Nick Jensen.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I think it is important to remember the B's offered him more $$$ but told him he would play less.

Chara has played in all 21 of Washington’s games (2-4—6, plus-10) and his 19:24 average time on ice is second on the Capitals behind John Carlson (24:23). Chara is also second on the team in average shorthanded time on ice (2:42), behind Nick Jensen.

It's interesting the more you think about. Chara turned down more money, he's away from his family for long stretches and ended his tenure as Bruins captain because he didn't want to take less playing time.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It's interesting the more you think about. Chara turned down more money, he's away from his family for long stretched and ended his tenure as Bruins captain because he didn't want to take less playing time.

IMO it's politics mixed up with pride. Chara as long-term Bruins captain and outright hero has a certain standing in Boston, certain things he could expect there because of his position and history with the team. This gave him a significant amount of leverage with Bruins management as to what he could request/expect in terms of role, playing time etc. As a man with immense pride in his performance, there are also things that probably he could not tolerate as existing or former captain of the team, a significant reduction in responsibility likely being among them. Had he stayed in Boston, it would have become very awkward for both he and management as they clashed over his ongoing role with the team.

Going to a different organization, those political and pride aspects largely disappear. He's no longer long-term captain of the team, he's just another player. The Caps offered him a very clear role, one that he liked the look of more that what was being discussed in Boston. But more importantly, it's wholly on the team's terms. There's no clash of authority as to how his role will be and continue to develop - it's entirely up to Caps management and therefore much simpler to deal with. Also in Washington, if his performance declines and he gets scratched, well so be it. Zee can just accept that his time has come. There's no awkwardness in that conversation between he and management, and much less loss of pride in being sent upstairs as just another player as opposed to the team legend he is on the Bruins.

So moving on was simply a better fit for him at this point in his career, even for less money and arguably with a higher risk of just being cast aside if he could no longer make the grade.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
It's interesting the more you think about. Chara turned down more money, he's away from his family for long stretches and ended his tenure as Bruins captain because he didn't want to take less playing time.

In his defense, he physically cannot stop playing. All very large men over time succumb to gravity more than us smaller versions. Once he stops playing and loses the muscle mass and stamina level his body will break down fast. In essence, if Z wants to see his grandkids, he has to keep active at a top-level or time will catch his frame like a bullet train. If you read any stories about super tall men, they all end the same: middle age. Sad but true fact.

Maybe Z is doing this to live longer, no just hold on to his ending career?

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
In his defense, he physically cannot stop playing. All very large men over time succumb to gravity more than us smaller versions. Once he stops playing and loses the muscle mass and stamina level his body will break down fast. In essence, if Z wants to see his grandkids, he has to keep active at a top-level or time will catch his frame like a bullet train. If you read any stories about super tall men, they all end the same: middle age. Sad but true fact.

But it's not like hockey is his only activity. The guy is a gym rat and cycles as well.

RHR37

Dec 24, 2019
Just want to throw it out there Chara playing for the Caps is wrong and still 1000% dont agree with letting him walk.

Guy is still at top 4 and at 750k is a bargain.

Big Z is a legend and the fact his last game played wont be in a Bruin uniform is a disgrace.

I know we all tall about what a class act he is but here is a real story to prove it.

My son is a huge Chara fan and in Detroit we met the Bruins after a game just outside the locker room. Chara was last out of the room and was walking doing an interview. He double took, saw my son, stopped the interview and walked all the way over and spent a whole 5 minutes talking hockey, school and family with my son as the reporters waited for him.

A moment my son will never forget. He spent way more time than needed with an arm around my son the whole time (obviously crouched over lol)

Legend on and off the ice.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
Just want to throw it out there Chara playing for the Caps is wrong and still 1000% dont agree with letting him walk.

Big Z is a legend and the fact his last game played wont be in a Bruin uniform is a disgrace.

I know we all tall about what a class act he is but here is a real story to prove it.

My son is a huge Chara fan and in Detroit we met the Bruins after a game just outside the locker room. Chara was last out of the room and was walking doing an interview. He double took, saw my son, stopped the interview and walked all the way over and spent a whole 5 minutes talking hockey, school and family with my son as the reporters waited for him.

A moment my son will never forget. He spent way more time than needed with an arm around my son the whole time (obviously crouched over lol)

Legend on and off the ice.

They didn't let him walk, he choose to leave. Great story though. My buddy used to work for a restaurant right around the corner from the B's practice facility that the players would frequently go to. he said Chara was so nice and just a down to earth guy.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014

What a depressing thought. :confused:

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

It was Chara’s decision to walk. Did you miss the post above? They offered him a contract. He wanted to play more and chose Washington. Bruins defense has played well so it’s not like they’re missing him on the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad