GDT: Game 20: Anaheim @ Flo-rida, 4:30 p.m. Left Coast Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
That's how you get sick. ;) Germs are youre friend. Eat food off the floor, don't wash your hands 80 times a day, etc. Works for me and I never get a flu shot.

when you get the flu you get it for weeks? i've never been sick for weeks in my entire life.

Then you've probably never had the flu.

Symptoms

Flu symptoms usually start quickly. You can start to feel sick about 1 - 7 days after you are around the virus. Usually, symptoms start in 2-3 days.

The flu spreads easily. It can affect a large group of people in a very short amount of time. For example, students and workers get sick within 2 or 3 weeks of the flu's arrival in a school or workplace.

The first symptom is a fever between 102 and 106 °F. An adult usually has a lower fever than a child.

Other common symptoms include:

Body aches
Chills
Dizziness
Flushed face
Headache
Lack of energy
Nausea and vomiting
The fever and aches and pains begin to go away on days 2-4. But new symptoms occur, including:

Dry cough
Increased breathing symptoms
Runny nose (clear and watery)
Sneezing
Sore throat
Most symptoms usually go away in 4 - 7 days. But the cough and feeling tired may last for weeks. Sometimes, the fever comes back.

Some people may not feel like eating.

The flu can make asthma, breathing problems, and other long-term illnesses worse.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0001144/#adam_000080.disease.symptoms

Edit - you're also playing Russian roulette that a virulent strain won't come along. Influenza can spread through droplet transmission and all that OCD cleaning behavior in the world won't do you a bit of good if someone sneezes in your face.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Summary: Not every bug you get is the flu. If you shake it off that easily, it almost certainly wasn't.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
A lot of people get a really bad common cold and claim they have the flu. The actual flu has most people bedridden for at least a week, if not longer.

gratefulyours

Great 8 = T. Selanne
Nov 9, 2010
Oakland
got that avian flu thing that was going around in 2005 or so, that was brutal. i was sick for a month. never had anything like it before or again.

needed an inhaler to get rid of all the crap in my lungs after it went away.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
You guys realize that a "stomach flu" isn't THE flu, right? It's just a catch all term for gastroenteritis, and can be due to bacteria, a number of viruses (which have no vaccines), parasites, etc. - all it takes is exposure. If they were getting influenza they'd be out for weeks, not days, and they'd be sent home to avoid exposing everyone.
Yes stomach flu and flu are different. But I don't remember the team ever saying stomach flu. They get "ill" or have "flu-like symptoms." Which might also (probably is) not be flu.

And I've never been out weeks for flu. Maybe a week. Or a couple days more. But real flu is a *****, I'll give you that.

edit: I guess if you count some of those symptoms (like cough) as still being sick then it could be weeks. But no one uses that as when to come back. They come back to work soon after the fever breaks.
That's how you get sick. ;) Germs are youre friend. Eat food off the floor, don't wash your hands 80 times a day, etc. Works for me and I never get a flu shot.

when you get the flu you get it for weeks? i've never been sick for weeks in my entire life.
In general life yes it is better to have some exposure. But because of the risk of sickness spreading through the whole team they should take more sanitation precautions.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Yes stomach flu and flu are different. But I don't remember the team ever saying stomach flu. They get "ill" or have "flu-like symptoms." Which might also (probably is) not be flu.

And I've never been out weeks for flu. Maybe a week. Or a couple days more. But real flu is a *****, I'll give you that.

edit: I guess if you count some of those symptoms (like cough) as still being sick then it could be weeks. But no one uses that as when to come back. They come back to work soon after the fever breaks.

In general life yes it is better to have some exposure. But because of the risk of sickness spreading through the whole team they should take more sanitation precautions.

Agreed, you aren't bedridden for weeks every time. But you're also not healthy enough to play an NHL game in a week either. The fact that players aren't being sent home for a week to prevent it from spreading and the fact that they're out for only a few days says it isn't influenza. If they thought Hiller actually had influenza there's 0% chance he'd have been allowed to go anywhere near the locker room Sunday. Even if they guess right with what subunits to put into the flu vaccine and get it 100% right, vaccination doesn't prevent you from catching the disease. The purpose of vaccination is so you only get a little bit ill instead of dying, and more importantly so you don't get sick enough to infect everyone else (that's for ALL vaccines).

duckaroosky

So sayeth Duckthulu
May 26, 2009
Long Beach, Ca
got that avian flu thing that was going around in 2005 or so, that was brutal. i was sick for a month. never had anything like it before or again.

needed an inhaler to get rid of all the crap in my lungs after it went away.

DVM had some flu in 08 or 09. But same thing with needing an inhaler. I was ready to euthanize him for fear he was turning into a zombie. Brutal stuff.

2faded

Jul 3, 2009
Torrance, CA
Then you've probably never had the flu.

So in 28 years I've never had the flu once... sounds likely. And how am I the only person here that's never been sick for 2 weeks? Except for maybe mono when i was a kid.

Or maybe I've been that sick many times and I smoke too much to remember. It's possible. Definitely never as an adult.

That or I have a godly immune system from ingesting all those germs. ;)

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Ignore the flu/not flu talk. Bottom line is the Ducks seem to get hit with this yearly. It would behoove them to take measures to prevent it.

Maybe someone with twitter could get Stephens to ask about it?

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
It's not just the Ducks, every team seems to be hit by what the media diagnose as the flu on a regular basis. With all the late nights and early morning as well as their travel schedule it's not surprising really.

I remember in the playoffs in 06 virtually the whole Oilers team had some form of the flu when they were beating the hell out of us.

justheducks

Feb 10, 2009
OC, California
www.myspace.com
I had Swine Flu at the top of my physical peak about 5 years ago. I had it for 4-5 days and literally could not walk down stairs without having to sit down and rest. It was terrible.
in 4 days I lost 18 pounds and went from running a mile in just over 5 minutes to this day can not get under 7 minutes. Constant chest pains when exercising like hockey and soccer.
So certain flus are seriously bad.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
It's not just the Ducks, every team seems to be hit by what the media diagnose as the flu on a regular basis. With all the late nights and early morning as well as their travel schedule it's not surprising really.

I remember in the playoffs in 06 virtually the whole Oilers team had some form of the flu when they were beating the hell out of us.
Maybe it's just selective memory but I don't remember it happening as much back in the Mighty Ducks days. Maybe a couple years, but not like every year.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Pixie dust. Duh.

fairy_tattoo_designs_025.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad