Post-Game Talk: Game 2 - The B's shuffle out of Buffalo with a 4-0 win.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
Sorry if this was asked:

What was our bottom 6 exactly? I'm seeing stuff posted on other sites, but curious for those who saw it live.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Eichel just doesn’t impress me. He is not a bad player, but I just don’t see an elite player in him. First liner definitely but not someone that is is t unstoppable or a going concern on ice at all times.

#over-rated!

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
Backes was on the 4th and should stay there, sadly he has no legs at all.
Agree he is slow as hell, but by far the smartest player in that bottom 6.
He needs to be paired with players who can skate and use his knowledge on positioning and how to control the eb and flow of a shift/game. He still has value when he’s not asked to work with 4th line hitters and energy guys who skate in straight lines and bang and chase. I’d like to see him with Heinen and Kurally.
Nordstrom was TERRIBLE tonight, I was at the game and focused on him a lot, maybe it was just a bad game but damn is there no one else? He needs seasoning....
Not impressed with Bjork tonight either.

Reactions: BBruins

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I didn't watch. What were the lines? Did Bjork play? Was Backes bumped down?

Ok I finally found the line combos and what I predicted I wanted to see at 3:10 pm in the "Line Combo thread" I was pretty close. I had Bjork and Donato in the wrong spot and had Wagner in Acciari's spot

The lines were

Marchand – Bergeron – Pastrnak
DeBrusk – Krejci – Donato
Heinen- Kuraly – Bjork
Nordstrom - Acciari - Backes

This is what I was guessing on the other thread

Marshy-Bergy-Pasta
Debrusk-Krejci-Bjork
Donato-Kuraly-Heinen
Nordstrom-Wagner-Backes

Last edited:
Reactions: Estlin

Marcobruin

Oct 30, 2016
4-0 nice win .. I want to see as the season goes along scoring from the youngsters consistently.. if it continues to be basically a one line team they'll be easy to stop

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Backes looks slower than last year. Nordstrom/Acciari Kuraly Backes would be fine on forth, though. Just need one of the kids to pull a Heinen and get a quick call up.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Backes looks slower than last year. Nordstrom/Acciari Kuraly Backes would be fine on forth, though. Just need one of the kids to pull a Heinen and get a quick call up.
I’m going to rewatch his shifts this weekend when I have a half hour to whip through

I agree he should
1. Be on 4th line RW- creates a Bruins advantage on 4th lines- they have a high end defensive line with what he put out last night and with Acciari and Backes two of the top TOI hits per 60 forwards - Nordstrom not physical but looks like a smart player and strong PK

2. Be on ice final minutes of all periods of close games where he’s excellent on the boards, disrupting lanes, physical, and can take face-offs especially right defensive dot
(Cassidy has seen what I see here)

3. On power play - good screen presence, deft hand-eye coordination, good passer and excellent shot.
(Cassidy sees same)

There are two types of bad FA signings

I’ll use the perfect GM Steve Yzerman as an example

1. Signs Matt Carle to a 5/30 M deal

He’s a train wreck and after a couple of years the Lightning Buy him out and may still be carrying

2. Signs Ryan Callahan to 6/36 M deal

Callahan struggles is a shadow of self now lucky to put up Schaller numbers but he’s a good 4th liner who provides energy

Callahan is not worth $6 M probably not worth $2 M but he still has value even on 4th line where he can forecheck

Backes provides a lot more then that for now

Next year maybe the kids like Senyshyn and Fitzgerald need that spot but for this time Cassidy can put out what he did last night that has physical presence, three players who are regulars on special teams

Reactions: wintersej

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Nice to see Halak with the shutout.

It brought me back to my youth when I was in the old Garden to see another former Hab goalie in Black & Gold get a shutout in his first Bruins game.

Jacques Plante.

Reactions: Ladyfan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Like I've said he has bricks in his skates...next stop... retirement
I notice everything you say since you been here ends up the opposite

I’m expecting Backes to have a strong year

In fairness it appears you don’t watch the games

Reactions: Chief Nine

Ad

Upcoming events